What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013 - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythekid

First Grade
I hope WA fans have a realistic expectation of onfield results in their early years.

It's going to be 10 years of thrashings. The Storm were lucky to be created when clubs were falling apart left,right and centre so they swooped in like vultures to pick the bones of the collapsing clubs in the late 90s. Then they hit the jackpot with the big 3.

The former won't happen when the Pirates come in and the odds on anything close to the latter happening are miniscule.

And it'll be a big challenge to attract any established talent to cross the continent from other clubs when even big clubs like Brisbane and Parra are struggling to do that.

So how exactly do you explain the titans then? They have also seen quite a bit of success since entering the comp.

You think you will get crowds like that week in week out ?
I remember when the Titans came into the comp they got some pretty decent crowds for the first couple of years, now know one gives a f**k about them on the coast the same thing will happen to a team in WA when they finish in the bottom 4 every year.

Why would they finish in the bottom 4 every year? I also don't think the comparison to the GC is a fair one. Perth is a much bigger area that tends to draw much better crowds to a range of sports.

I'm pretty sure perth red has said in the past that he expects them to average closer to 15-16K which is more realistic. They don't need to get 20K every week. They have shown they have a good support base to build on and they are doing the ground work with juniors (it's another area for RL to draw from). They have also shown the benefit they offer to the tv deal with a favourable timeslot (along with the potential extra game).

I don't see how anyone could deny that Perth deserve a team except for butthurt fans who think it is somehow a slight against their club when people discuss the pros of the new team.

Jokes like PR's above wouldn't work if more clubs actually put some effort behind drawing better crowds.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So how exactly do you explain the titans then? They have also seen quite a bit of success since entering the comp.
Much easier to build a team in arguably one of the most exciting parts of the country and just an hour south of the 2nd biggest RL city in the world.

Attracting players from Sydney and Brisbane to go to the GC is a very different ask to getting them to go two timezones away to a city in the middle of the desert with a continent in between them and most of their family and friends.

Also the increasing salary cap makes it easier for clubs to tie down their key players. Expect a lot of contracts signed in 2015/2016 to go to 2018/2019 at least to get through the period when they'll have a lot of space.

When the Tits came in far fewer players were on "comfortable" money, comfortable players will be much less likely to go live in Perth.

Billythekid

First Grade
Much easier to build a team in arguably one of the most exciting parts of the country and just an hour south of the 2nd biggest RL city in the world.

Attracting players from Sydney and Brisbane to go to the GC is a very different ask to getting them to go two timezones away to a city in the middle of the desert with a continent in between them and most of their family and friends.

Also the increasing salary cap makes it easier for clubs to tie down their key players. Expect a lot of contracts signed in 2015/2016 to go to 2018/2019 at least to get through the period when they'll have a lot of space.

When the Tits came in far fewer players were on "comfortable" money, comfortable players will be much less likely to go live in Perth.

I'm not sure what i should say besides i disagree. I don't want to take this further off topic as this thread gets filled with enough sh*t as is.

DC_fan

Coach

If I was young enough and good enough to play league today I would pick Perth over Gold Coast everyday of the week.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I would have thought players would be queuing up to play in perth to get out of the fish bowl that is nsw and qld

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth is an awsome place to live if you love outdoor lifestyle and don't want the hassle of a big city but still want the benefits of a big city. I reckon a Perth team will be made up from returning SL players, a smattering of English players and some decent signings from other clubs, be nice to see some of our Jnrs coming home to play as well. Heard Burgess mum loves it in Perth, maybe she can bring her sons with her! IF the club is well run there is no reason we won't get 15-16k with 20k for the big teams.

Moving on, just trying to get tickets to Broncos for Friday, $55 for decent seats, $46 for corner seats or seats in the gods, for a game where the best players are missing. No wonder crowds drop during Origin and Broncos aren't filling the stadium!

Perth Red

Post Whore
With booking fee ended up costing $60 to get a good seat at suncorp. You can get a season ticket at bulldogs for that can't you?

You'd think they'd discount the pre origin games given the best players are missing?

LJC

Juniors
Yeah but those 2 Monday nights have been during the Origin period. Which count in the 24% drop or whatever that Rothfield clown was going on about the other day.

There should be NO Monday night games preceding an Origin game. Let FOX have the Sunday night timeslot!

Last weekend Sunday night rated better than Monday night.

Provides for a better build up to Origin and lessens the dreaded Monday night impost on the clubs and fans!

franklin2323

Immortal
There should be NO Monday night games preceding an Origin game. Let FOX have the Sunday night timeslot!

Last weekend Sunday night rated better than Monday night.

Provides for a better build up to Origin and lessens the dreaded Monday night impost on the clubs and fans!

Yeah. I can understand in a full round but when there is less games or before Origin have the 2 Sat night games.

franklin2323

Immortal
With booking fee ended up costing $60 to get a good seat at suncorp. You can get a season ticket at bulldogs for that can't you?

You'd think they'd discount the pre origin games given the best players are missing?

Yeah. I can handle that if they have really cheap GA. But just to walk in is $30 is just crazy

Suncorp prices are crazy. For what myself and Mrs VOR pay for season tickets behind the posts on level 5, you could almost buy two family season tickets for the Roosters. I am more than a little envious, but it is still a cost I am willing to pay.

I don't know how Queensland can still underpay teachers, nurses and police. Surely the revenue from Stadiums Queensland alone would be enough to fund that particular shortfall.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Suncorp prices are crazy. For what myself and Mrs VOR pay for season tickets behind the posts on level 5, you could almost buy two family season tickets for the Roosters. I am more than a little envious, but it is still a cost I am willing to pay.

I don't know how Queensland can still underpay teachers, nurses and police. Surely the revenue from Stadiums Queensland alone would be enough to fund that particular shortfall.

Yeah its crap - almost $700 for a gold.

Pax of today - 26,004.

These showers are meant to continue...

Not what I want to hear. Doing Kokoda Challenge this weekend. Rain = mud = :(

Still going on Friday night though. :) Hope the Sharks are enough to get 30-32k through the gate. Pessimistic, though.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Beautiful sunny day here in Brisbane. Problem is - huge coastal showers to set in soon.

This will turn what could have been 28k-32k into 24k-27k..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts