What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013 - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

LineBall

Juniors
Does anyone think that having two Origins in Sydney is affecting crowds? Are people saving up to go to these games rather than their teams premiership matches?

newman

First Grade
Will be a big turn out of Souffs fans tonight. They are rejoicing that a game inolving them is actually being played South of Sydney.

jc155776

Coach
Luckily the Sharks will help save crowd numbers despite having a decent local rivalry shafted to a Monday night.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Origin 1 pax is 70,688 as of last night - should have sold out yonks ago.

If the same arguments applied to the Broncos crowds in Brisbane are done so here then yes, it is absolutely woeful that this game hasn't sold out.

Sydney is a city of 5 million people, compared to Brisbane's 2 million, yet Brisbane has no problem selling out 100k of Origin tickets compared to a possible 160k for Sydney.

These numbers don't lie, Sydney is disgraceful come Origin time.

Raiderdave

First Grade
If the same arguments applied to the Broncos crowds in Brisbane are done so here then yes, it is absolutely woeful that this game hasn't sold out.

Sydney is a city of 5 million people, compared to Brisbane's 2 million, yet Brisbane has no problem selling out 100k of Origin tickets compared to a possible 160k for Sydney.

Brisbanites & Qlders in general have a massive inferiority complex
& a massive chip on their shoulder to go with it

Sydneysiders & NSWelshmen do not suffer from this affliction , if we'd won 7 series in a row we'd of been bored with it all by now

they'll be 80,000 there Wednesday week
a record attendance for game I of a series , & if it goes to a decider , it will sellout. ;-)

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

SOO is the pinacle of Rugby League and one of the best sporting occurrences in Australia.

Broncos games are not.

Sydney is an absolute joke come origin time. Their fans are all rent-a-crowd. Ive seen the blatchy blues "fans" throwing their shirts on the ground in the bus lines.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Brisbanites & Qlders in general have a massive inferiority complex
& a massive chip on their shoulder to go with it

Sydneysiders & NSWelshmen do not suffer from this affliction , if we'd won 7 series in a row we'd of been bored with it all by now

they'll be 80,000 there Wednesday week
a record attendance for game I of a series , & if it goes to a decider , it will sellout. ;-)

Nah mate. You are the one with a chip on your shoulder. Aren't you from ACT anyway?

When we loose we stick together and when we win we stick together - you lot just dont stick together.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Sydney is an absolute joke come origin time. Their fans are all rent-a-crowd. Ive seen the blatchy blues "fans" throwing their shirts on the ground in the bus lines.

Only in front of women, as we are pure gentleman, unlike those ruffians from the North.

firechild

First Grade
SOO is the pinacle of Rugby League and one of the best sporting occurrences in Australia.

Broncos games are not.

That's the thing. Sydney RL fans generally hold their club as the most important team they follow, Queenslanders generally prefer their state over their club. It's a result of the long histories of most NSW clubs vs the plastic manufacturing of the Donkeys. If it meant my club winning another premiership I wouldn't care if NSW lost. Of course I want NSW to win but my club comes first. I haven't missed a Manly home game this year but attending origin isn't something that I'm disappointed to not be doing.

You claim that Origin is the pinnacle of rugby league and a fair argument can be made to support that. But an argument can also be made for test footy (it is the highest level of the sport) or NRL (it is played over 30 weeks where the winner has to be consistently good).

beave

Coach
Origin series win or cowboys GF win???

Cowboys every day of the week. Origin is a great game to watch, whereas club football is personal for me.

And besides, over 50% of QLD are a bunch of merkins anyways.....................

Raiderdave

First Grade

Broncos games are not.

it may be the " best contest " you'll see in our game

but im sorry
My club taking the field in a Grand Final is the pinnacle for me
& you would not find a person south of the tweed who disagrees

beating Qld ... phhtttt
we did that from 1908 to 2005
its old hat
we're in a bit of a hiatus ATM , but normal transmissions will resume soon
& watch when we get on a roll of series wins

the feet stamping ,crying & bleating from up north will be hilarious
Origin is dead they'll cry
origin is dead :lol::lol:
just like they did when NSW were on their way to 4 series wins in a row in 2006 & got robbed in Melbourne

apparently Origin only works if Qld win folks
its about them
not us
it has curiosity value & its a great contest
but the pinnacle ?:roll:

pull the other one
it plays jingle bells ;-)

Desert Qlder

First Grade
That's the thing. Sydney RL fans generally hold their club as the most important team they follow, Queenslanders generally prefer their state over their club. It's a result of the long histories of most NSW clubs vs the plastic manufacturing of the Donkeys.

You make two incorrect assumptions here

1. That one cannot support their club and state in equal passionate measure, and

2. That most or all Queensland supporters are also Broncos supporters. Queenslanders also come from a culture of following their long-standing traditional clubs or regions.

It is an indictment on NSW supporters that they have little to no passion for their state in comparison to Queensland. You can try to explain it away all you like but at the end of the day it only makes you look pathetic that you cannot sell out two of the most enthralling sporting contests in the world.

This is also emphasised by the amount of Queenslanders who travel to Sydney to support their state.

firechild

First Grade
You make two incorrect assumptions here

1. That one cannot support their club and state in equal passionate measure, and

2. That most or all Queensland supporters are also Broncos supporters. Queenslanders also come from a culture of following their long-standing traditional clubs or regions.

It is an indictment on NSW supporters that they have little to no passion for their state in comparison to Queensland. You can try to explain it away all you like but at the end of the day it only makes you look pathetic that you cannot sell out two of the most enthralling sporting contests in the world.

This is also emphasised by the amount of Queenslanders who travel to Sydney to support their state.

1. I made no such assumption. I simply stated that it was generally the case.

2. Given the Cowboys entered the comp in 1995 and the Titans in 2007, it is even less of a suprise that in a majority of cases there is stronger ties from supporters to the maroons than either club. Sure, some Queenslanders support NSW clubs, but in those cases it would not be surprising if their held a greater pride for their state than an adopted interstate club.

The truth is, origin is all about Queensland. It is about their own inferiority and the desire to prove that they are better than NSW. It emerged because they got sick of NSW winning with Queenslanders in their team. Funnily enough it's now a QLD side full of players from NZ, NSW and wherever else they can find talent. But I digress, QLD needed origin because the NSWRL comp was proving to be the premier competition in Australia and QLD needed to prove to themselves that their players were as good or better.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I find it of passing interest to see how players do against each other, as an "out of stater" it has no relevance to me and I much prefer International RL.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
1. I made no such assumption. I simply stated that it was generally the case.

2. Given the Cowboys entered the comp in 1995 and the Titans in 2007, it is even less of a suprise that in a majority of cases there is stronger ties from supporters to the maroons than either club. Sure, some Queenslanders support NSW clubs, but in those cases it would not be surprising if their held a greater pride for their state than an adopted interstate club.

The truth is, origin is all about Queensland. It is about their own inferiority and the desire to prove that they are better than NSW. It emerged because they got sick of NSW winning with Queenslanders in their team. Funnily enough it's now a QLD side full of players from NZ, NSW and wherever else they can find talent. But I digress, QLD needed origin because the NSWRL comp was proving to be the premier competition in Australia and QLD needed to prove to themselves that their players were as good or better.

1. Yes it is generally the case because NSWelshmen are pathetic in their support for their state, when quite easily they could be just as passionate for both their state and club. They are also clearly insecure about this otherwise we wouldn't hear about how wonderful blatchy blues are year on year.

2. Again, you're continuing to make assumptions here about balance of support. Support of state does not come at the expense of club in Queensland, as it appears to do in NSW.

It amuses me no end to hear roaches whinge unceasingly about who Queensland picks. Especially in light of the fact NSW will breathlessly pick the likes of James Tamou and Akuila Uate, and near on beg for the use of Queenslanders like Cherry-Evans and poms like the Burgess brothers.

Origin did finally prove the strength off Queensland Rugby League, and NSW has been bemoaning this since it's inception. The fact is that we enjoy proving our strength in our favoured game and have no shame in doing so. If that means continuing to embarrass NSW in State of Origin and dominating Australian squads then so be it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If NSW is quote "pathetic in their support for their state", then why have the last 3 Origins sold out in NSW?

The next two are on track to as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.