What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013 - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Broncos actually averaged higher crowds back in the early-mid 90s when playing at the old ANZ. Guess the bandwagoning was strong

Did you look that up? I was there and you were right.

In the early 1990s the Broncos were very widely supported. Their first GF win transcended league and was as much about putting Brissie on the map as Expo was. AFL was non-existent for all intents and purposes and the Reds? An amateur, private school rep team.

When they moved the ANZ, it was probably the biggest bandwagon that has rolled through this city, with the caveat that rugby league was on a high back then and was truly the sport that was going to take over the country. That's how it felt.

With Super League, the professionalisation of Rugby and the success of the Lions, the bubble deflated violently. The great thing about the Broncos crowds today, which still aren't consistently back to the early 1990s levels, is that they have been sustainably built up over the last decade. No 10,000 per year. But a few thousand here and there.

And with all of that hard work, there are people barely out of their teens who think they know everything after a couple of Google searches and want to say the Broncs are doing terribly.

Sheez.

Last edited:

dogslife

Coach
You can't claim to be the home of rugby league and then not go close to selling out your only team in your only stadium on a regular basis.

I call that failing

You can't claim to be the home of rugby league and then not go close to selling out your only team in your only stadium on a regular basis.

I call that failing

Yawn. And so it goes again. To franklin and everyone else who is sick of the same old s*** going around in circles, even when explained without abuse, here is the post that is starting the next cycle.

Given that the Sydney-siders here claim that we can't call Sydney a 4+ million catchment, but rather each team is its' own area, you could say that every area has one team that is poor supported they don't sell out on a regular basis, if ever.

That's a lot of failing teams in Sydney.

Love the argument when the League's best supported team is failing. If we are failing, you aren't even in the game.

And so we start again. You guys are suckers for punishment.

dogslife

Coach
Yeah I'm sure the Broncos would still be the most popular choice in town if there were 3 or 4 more teams in the area

All we need now is for derpex to weigh in and we've got the makings of a Three stooges reunion tour

Billythekid

First Grade
Can't you guys take this d*ck measuring contest to fight club or something? It sucks having this thread constantly filled up with useless barely on topic post.

I can also say as someone who has spent around equal time living in both states that the people on both sides are talking out of their ass.

the dude

Juniors
start a new effing thread about this crap.

Good week for crowds.

Bulldogs vs Dragons 20k
Rabbitohs vs Knights 18k
Titans vs Cowboys 17k
Broncos vs Warriors 35k

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Good week for crowds.

Bulldogs vs Dragons 20k
Rabbitohs vs Knights 18k
Titans vs Cowboys 17k
Broncos vs Warriors 35k

Broncos warriors pax was 23,000 and hasn't sold much more.

35k looks out of reach.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Learn some history. The short answer is "poker machines". Look it up.

See the last response. Pokies. Queensland clubs simply didn't have the wherewithal to compete with Sydney clubs on a financial basis.

Another "Bolt" from the Blue here: classic misuse of stats. Include ANZ's formerly higher capacity and Suncorp's formerly lower capacity in the average. Nice skew. And flawed.

Year 8 maths at best.

Didn't they do their dastardly business at Dutton Park?

Why not have a "green" thread for just crowd stats and nothing else and a crowd "discussion" thread?

True this. For whatever else is said in this thread about crowds, there are homo sapiens in Brisbane and homo sapiens in Sydney. Anna Bligh's north of the border speech might have been inspirational (or might not have been) but I for one don't think we are a separate species.

You bag off insularity and start your next sentence with "You lot...". Completely without any sense of irony. F*** me! :lol:

Sorry, SLR, but on this one matter I will have to disagree. I hate NSW in footy. But Victoria? Now there's a whole new level of insularity and debate there that goes well beyond the already stretched bounds of this thread! :)

Because nobody (from NSW) complains when people bag off Brisbane/Qld, but the minute anyone (ie. me) stands up for Brisbane/Qld the southerners go off their nut. Hence the state of this thread.

As I said dozens of pages ago, my main contention is that Brisbane's crowds are objectively good, and that the nutters on here who make stupid claims that a 35k is "disgusting" need their head read. As long as the Bolt-brigade do that, I will cut them down.

And as for Origin,... it sort of, you know, is Origin time. So STFU cockroach! ;-)

So the answer to my question is... to continue the pissing contest? f**k me dead mate, surely your whole aim in life isn't to prove to everyone on the internet that Brisbane is better than Sydney?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
So the answer to my question is... to continue the pissing contest? f**k me dead mate, surely your whole aim in life isn't to prove to everyone on the internet that Brisbane is better than Sydney?

As if anyones aim in life is that. You lot bite so hard its hilarious.

Is your aim in life to try convince everyone that Ben Creagh is the best back rower in the comp?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Good week for crowds.

Bulldogs vs Dragons 20k
Rabbitohs vs Knights 18k
Titans vs Cowboys 17k
Broncos vs Warriors 35k

Would be good to see the titans coming up with some ideas to re engage their fans and get them to games. Do they do anything to get tourists to games? Advertising in hotels, theme park link ups etc?

You've actually said this directly beneath a quote of me saying:

"For whatever else is said in this thread about crowds, there are homo sapiens in Brisbane and homo sapiens in Sydney. Anna Bligh's north of the border speech might have been inspirational (or might not have been) but I for one don't think we are a separate species."

FMD. Clearly you just want to attack me. Why bother actually reading what I write, hey?

DC_fan

Coach
Crowd in Gosford certainly isn't anything to write home about.

NRL, the good people of Gosford are sending a clear message to you. Stop messing around with them and stop disrespecting them.

May be the people of the central coast just don't care about the game anymore.

The NRL would look pretty silly if they put a team at Gosford and no one come to watch.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That's an utterly ridiculous statement to make and you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts