What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013 - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanatique

Juniors
Would storm ever get twice the crowd of richmond going head to head. Appears about 100k people support the nrl in sydney.

A ladder topping Richmond would outdraw anyone lethal but so what. Different games. What we are trying to do is boost RL attendances. Who cares what attendances Richmond or Collingwood get. Good for them. No concern of ours.

Valheru

Coach
What do you mean "should be" mate?

Honestly what are we talking about here? Can you remember the last time the Raiders drew 20,000 in a rain drenched and dismal Sydney day? Never mind 20K what about 12K. When did they last draw 12K in those conditions?

Everyone has to get a bit of realism about what is potentially possible. Sydney clubs do not attract big crowds against the Raiders. Everyone accepts the Dogs are probably the biggest draw in Sydney....they have played the Raiders seven times at ANZ since 2006. Biggest crowd was 16,000 and average across the seven was 12,600 and that is the biggest drawing club in the city.

No Sydney club has drawn more than 16,000 V the Raiders in the past decade and possibly ever. What on earth makes us suppose that on a teemingly wet wintry day in the Origin window we could draw anything like 20K? On a beautiful day perfect for footy that game woud have struggled to 15K. Why? Not because the Souths lie about fanbase but because that represents a great home attendance V the Raiders and in the conditions the turnout was what would be expected.

By all means aspire to 20K but be real as well

I see you still don't get it. Souffs are held to a different standard because they advertise their alleged members at 26k which is higher than everyone else. A poor drawing team should only effect walk ups and away fans, not members.

They should be aiming for 30k every match given form and their following. Fair enough it was pissing down last night so 20k would have been fine. 12k is a joke.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Love how what is considered par for us on a wet night is 4,000 more than what any Sydney team has got in any conditions against Canberra over the last 10 years.

Unlike you all, I don't set ridiculous expectations for other teams. If we get a combined 19,000 today between the two games it'll be a good result.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Why don't nrl clubs poach the membership managers from afl clubs

Offer them double the salary they are on to jump ship

It's obvious the are better at activating members to attend

Kirky

Juniors
Why don't nrl clubs poach the membership managers from afl clubs

Offer them double the salary they are on to jump ship

It's obvious the are better at activating members to attend

We don't have 100 years of blind attendance/membership culture to exploit. Have to build that up essentially from scratch. AFL membership recruiters would sh*t themselves if they came over to an NRL club. First phone call:

"What do you mean you're not a 4th generation member? I don't even understand what's happening right now?"

Valheru

Coach
Love how what is considered par for us on a wet night is 4,000 more than what any Sydney team has got in any conditions against Canberra over the last 10 years.

Unlike you all, I don't set ridiculous expectations for other teams. If we get a combined 19,000 today between the two games it'll be a good result.

We are simply making predictions based on all the "facts" available. Not our fault that Souffs members don't turn up.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Credit to the Swans they can get 25k people to a game on a horrid night across Sydney in a ground further from the centre of population than ANZ stadium. Plus I doubt outside the eastern suburbs many even know the swans are playing and who each week.

Meanwhile, every man and his dog knows the Friday night fixture at ANZ is happening. For a start the NRL needs to intensify the advertising around the regular fixtures to drag people off their lounge seats. To get even close to the stated aims is going to take drastic change and solutions; cheaper tickets, marketing, free transport, game day experience all need to be fixed before we will see anything but the status quo each year.

Only action will change the apathy

Lethal3

Juniors
We don't have 100 years of blind attendance/membership culture to exploit. Have to build that up essentially from scratch. AFL membership recruiters would sh*t themselves if they came over to an NRL club. First phone call:

"What do you mean you're not a 4th generation member? I don't even understand what's happening right now?"

Blind attendance is an ignorant statement, love for the game is what drives attendance. Membership culture only started in the AFL during the 90's due to clubs requiring the coin to survive, prior to this 8-10k ave membership.

DC_fan

Coach
We are simply making predictions based on all the "facts" available. Not our fault that Souffs members don't turn up.

The problem is that ANZ Stadium do not allow animals or deceased people in the stadium. This is two groups that Souths allow to sign up as members.

Another reason is that Souths have members from all over all over the country and around the world. Not sure how easy it would be to routinely jet in from the US or Europe for a game.

I am a Souths fan and a ticketed member who attended last nights game and the game last weekend against the Eels.

Big Sam

First Grade
The problem is that ANZ Stadium do not allow animals or deceased people in the stadium. This is two groups that Souths allow to sign up as members.

Another reason is that Souths have members from all over all over the country and around the world. Not sure how easy it would be to routinely jet in from the US or Europe for a game.

I am a Souths fan and a ticketed member who attended last nights game and the game last weekend against the Eels.

Let it go. Valheru and Danish are too dumb to understand that we have both non-ticketed and ticketed members.

Swarzey

Bench
Both.

The rain would have deterred some fans, especially families from attending. But I was disappointed with the crowd. I got to the stadium about 7pm and was shocked to see how small the crowd was. My worry was that it would not top 10,000. Yes it was wet, in was on TV and we were playing an out of Sydney team but that should not ment such a small crowd.

I ask that all NRL fans forget the rain, just rug up a bit, carry an umbrella and attend games this weekend.

I understand families, especially if they have sport the next day (even though from what I've heard most have been canceled), but putting my Souths hatred aside, I do wish fans would be more dedicated. I attend every Knights home game and travel when possible, regardless of the weather and it most likely will be raining. My seat is technically under cover, but I won't hesitate to sit in an empty seat at the top :p

Xfactor1979

Bench
You cant do anything about the weather

Its more of a cultural issue with regards to going to the sports (people will still go out to outdoor live concerts (I know I do), rain, hail or shine) in Sydney compared to that miserable cold, wet shithole we call Melbourne

Melbourne folk built a closed roof stadium to negate that. but their fans still attend the afl rain hail or shine.

I'm conflicted.

Fking atrocious weather for the second week in a row.

However, FFS people...of ALL clubs...start going to the game...and ESPECIALLY Souths supporters. You ain't had a winning team for two decades and the second good season should have seen people there in droves. I've been going to ANZ since 2006 when they moved there and always hoped that if and when we got good again, the crowds will come.

But the NRL has a real lethargy in some depts and it's no excuse for Souths this year.

I know it was cold and wet last night, but support your bloody team!

Fair enough, who wouldn't stay at home, with the kids, a couple of pizzas, a couple of coldies and go straight to bed afterwards?

I just feel exasperated...tramping out there to see a winning team and only the hardy go...the same ones who go each and every week.

That said, I will say, we've had Cowboys, Knights, Raiders (all out of towners) who may or may not travel, even if the weather is good or bad. And our Saints clash is a MNF game! Thankfully, we have Dogs, Sea Eagles and Roosters as three of the last four clashes at home for the season.

Again...all NRL fans...go to the game!!!

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm conflicted.

Fking atrocious weather for the second week in a row.

However, FFS people...of ALL clubs...start going to the game...and ESPECIALLY Souths supporters. You ain't had a winning team for two decades and the second good season should have seen people there in droves. I've been going to ANZ since 2006 when they moved there and always hoped that if and when we got good again, the crowds will come.

But the NRL has a real lethargy in some depts and it's no excuse for Souths this year.

I know it was cold and wet last night, but support your bloody team!

Fair enough, who wouldn't stay at home, with the kids, a couple of pizzas, a couple of coldies and go straight to bed afterwards?

I just feel exasperated...tramping out there to see a winning team and only the hardy go...the same ones who go each and every week.

That said, I will say, we've had Cowboys, Knights, Raiders (all out of towners) who may or may not travel, even if the weather is good or bad. And our Saints clash is a MNF game! Thankfully, we have Dogs, Sea Eagles and Roosters as three of the last four clashes at home for the season.

Again...all NRL fans...go to the game!!!
Souths will finish the home and away season with the 2nd best crowds in Sydney for the 2nd year in a row. Souths crowds are not a problem.

the dude

Juniors
Souths will finish the home and away season with the 2nd best crowds in Sydney for the 2nd year in a row. Souths crowds are not a problem.

Doesn't mean we can't improve though. Dogs last night would have most likely pulled 15k or so. We need to strive to be the most supported team in sydney, especially considering our ladder position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts