What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bear

Referee
What about wanting a 3 pm kick off because the quality of football is far better in day time compared to night time kick offs (assuming good weather, of course).

Also stand alone origin weekends would be excellent, would allow the removal of the bye and would greatly lessen the impact of origin on the club competition, which just gets set aside for two months.

firechild

First Grade
Get f**ked you lying piece of shit.

Haha. I was there with a Sharks fan and even he acknowledged that there were hardly any there. We were both surprised because there were a reasonable number of Sharks fans at the trial game this year.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Just watching the roosters v doggies on fox sports now. Once again the reported crowd figure is just bewildering imo. For comparisons sake I have had a look at our semi against Penrith in 2010 which had a crowd of 23,459. Hate to be a whinger but how on earth was last Friday reported as less??? I attended both games and can safely say there were a few thousand more than v penrith

http://www.nrl.com/Video/tabid/10959/Default.aspx

H.H

Juniors
Just watching the roosters v doggies on fox sports now. Once again the reported crowd figure is just bewildering imo. For comparisons sake I have had a look at our semi against Penrith in 2010 which had a crowd of 23,459. Hate to be a whinger but how on earth was last Friday reported as less??? I attended both games and can safely say there were a few thousand more than v penrith

Agree. Looked at least 25k to me when I was at the ground. Been to literally hundreds of games at the SFS and to me there was definitely more that 22k.

undertaker

Coach

This has to be the most bizarre complaint that regularly gets mentioned on LU.

Apparently you can’t have a BBQ after 3PM..

:lol:Yeah, the things that people say...and it was because of those whinging about not having their BBQs that we ended up with a 5pm GF and Ch9 were the big winners as they took away Sunday arvo wk2+3 finals as a compromise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and hopefully someone raises this issue with the ARLC): now that Ch9 got their beloved 7:15pm night GF back this year, will we get our Sat night/Sunday arvo finals for weeks 2 and 3 back? Don't be surprised if not only the answer is no, but Ch9 want ppl to forget about the deal back in 2008 which allowed them to revert to Fri night/Sat night finals in the first place. Hopefully this issue will getattention in the media and Dave Smith et al. will do something about this because there needs to be accountability on Ch9's behalf, now that they don't have Gallop to cover them up with phony "use it or lose it" threats.

Also stand alone origin weekends would be excellent, would allow the removal of the bye and would greatly lessen the impact of origin on the club competition, which just gets set aside for two months.

Been there, done that. Stand alone origins will never eventuate after it was trialled in 2001 and Ch9 got lower ratings. Not only that, but the NRL won't want to give AFL and Union a free kick over that weekend on days where NRL matches could be played.

There have been numerous under-reported crowds this year. However, the Titans seem to be one of the rare few that is over-reporting.

Haha. I was there with a Sharks fan and even he acknowledged that there were hardly any there. We were both surprised because there were a reasonable number of Sharks fans at the trial game this year.

If what you say is true, that really is a phenomenal turnout from the Sea Eagles fans. I know Brookvale Oval has undergone some renovations over the past year. What is the expected capacity when redevelopment is finished?

Also, I was looking at some old footage from the famous '94 Sea Eagles vs Raiders game that attracted 26k. How the hell they managed to cram in that many ppl that day (just like the night 32k turned out at Newcastle the following year), I have no idea.

Also sure, you can have a Perth game live at 9:30pm on a Saturday but the finish time is also going to kill off audiences.

Not if subscribers in Perth increase. The increase in the Perth tv audience will balance out over time. Also, if they play on Friday night live at 9:30pm, ppl are more likely to tune in rather than to a delayed broadcast that is packed with a myriad of ads

I think there's sometimes a 4:30pm Super Rugby match. Sunday afternoon games in New Zealand are probably the best.

From my understanding, I don't recall there being any 4:30pm NZT Super Rugby matches. 5:30pm NZT (3:30pm AEST) maybe a timeslot the Warriors may look at for hosting matches in the future.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Re stand alone origin weekends, can work if we build up interest in the int game.

You could have:
Fri night tonga v Samoa
Sat night SOO
Sunday NZ v PNG &
Fiji v Cook Islands

With more and more NRL players in these int squads they would have plenty of interest and three match series against each other would really build rivalries. Also great opportunity to take games to new areas and country regions.

I'm far more looking forward to seeing tonga v Samoa than I am city v country or under 20's SOO this weekend.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Would prefer another Sunday arvo game on fox. Put 2 games on at 2pm, 1 at 3pm on ch9 and then. Don't think there is a critical mass of people in front of their tv on a Saturday 2 or 3pm nor that would attend to warrant that slot

Raiderdave

First Grade
the Kangaroos Twitter just announced less than 1000 tickets left and 90% of those are standing. Could be a full house.

technically it is already
25,011 seats at Canberra stadium
2,000 standing room tickets released wednesday

meaning every seat is taken ... & several hundred standing room gone

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
the Kangaroos Twitter just announced less than 1000 tickets left and 90% of those are standing. Could be a full house.

Sure that's not The Roo Crew section as opposed to the stadium as a whole?

Chicken Hunter said:
So would that indicate a crowd of around 26k? I can't remember the last time I have seen Bruce stadium full, if ever.
24,450 were there in September for the Sharks semi. Pretty close to full...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great stuff, about time Int RL got some respect. They are talking about having an Ashes tour in 2015, would be great to see some 40k crowds for the Kangaroos.

juro

Bench
Biggest crowds at Bruce for the Raiders:
1. 2010 Semi final vs Wests Tigers - 26,476
2. 1994 Rd 21 vs Wests Magpies - 25,253
3. 1993 Rd 19 vs Brisbane - 24,801
4. 1995 Rd 10 vs Manly - 24,781
5. 1991 Rd 22 vs St George - 24,460
6. 2012 Semi final vs Cronulla - 24,450

Diesel

Referee
Lol, well I've been proved wrong pretty quickly. Good to know that Canberra can fill a stadium, it just needs to be more regularly.

It's good to see Canberra get a test, Perth needs one too IMO

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Watched footy show first time this year and was disappointed (didn't watch last 15-20 minutes) they hadn't mentioned the Samao v Tonga game, and having armed services personal, no mention the defence forces would be involved in the Defence services world cup in the UK in a couple of months time.

Just so typical of rugby league journalism (sigh using that last word) to ignore good things in the game, and they harped on about what a great job our soldiers are doing ad nuseum, yet 'dont even have the knowledge to wish them well in a world cup that will involve the defence services of Russia & Serbia.

Status
Not open for further replies.