What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
People in regional areas aren't on the same incomes as those in the captial cities, the average income in most regional centres would be 25-30% less than what it is in the capital cities. And the cost of living is higher.
Families can't afford those ticket prices. The crowd level clearly showed that.
They want to promote the game in the bush play games like these and 1. give junior league players a free ticket, one club i know of have about 250 kids and were give 15 tickets total 2. half the prices that they charged today and 3. Have players who missed out due to injury if they can make it come to the ground and sign autographs etc.
I saw Andrew Johns many time today stop for a photo with a fan or a autograph even thou he was working for ch9 he took the time as did Gus gould. Hindy and Bobcat Ryan were there out the back having photos with the fans most fo the day and were giving out stress ball footies to the kids are they leaft after the game. There were pass the ball games etc all arvo.
I was in the corprate tent with most of the suits, John Grant, Wayne Pearce, Laurie Daley, Tim Sheens, David smith, Geoff Carr to name a few but the didn't mingle more or less kept to themselves which was a shame as they really should have spent a bit of time at each table and worked the room. I don't expect them to mingle with the crowd but in the corprate tent it was sponsors and thier guests they should have made everybody feel welcome.

The cost of tickets was way too high , but cost of living is not higher in regional areas.

The major cost of living is housing. Housing is much cheaper in regional areas , hence wages are cheaper.

The main issue is country people aren't used to paying $60 to go to... anything. Or even $30 to go to the footy. Most country people would sooner pay $60 to see a game in Sydney because it's a novel experience. Seeing a game in your local ground is something you normally pay $5 for. Plus the facilities aren't worth the expense. If it had been raining there would have been 2000 there. But at the same time, 4000 people got to see what was essentially NRL footy, in-season, that wouldn't have otherwise had the chance, unless the went to Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle or the GC. That's also the point.

tumbidragon

First Grade
People in regional areas aren't on the same incomes as those in the captial cities, the average income in most regional centres would be 25-30% less than what it is in the capital cities. And the cost of living is higher.
Families can't afford those ticket prices. The crowd level clearly showed that.
They want to promote the game in the bush play games like these and 1. give junior league players a free ticket, one club i know of have about 250 kids and were give 15 tickets total 2. half the prices that they charged today and 3. Have players who missed out due to injury if they can make it come to the ground and sign autographs etc.
I saw Andrew Johns many time today stop for a photo with a fan or a autograph even thou he was working for ch9 he took the time as did Gus gould. Hindy and Bobcat Ryan were there out the back having photos with the fans most fo the day and were giving out stress ball footies to the kids are they leaft after the game. There were pass the ball games etc all arvo.
I was in the corprate tent with most of the suits, John Grant, Wayne Pearce, Laurie Daley, Tim Sheens, David smith, Geoff Carr to name a few but the didn't mingle more or less kept to themselves which was a shame as they really should have spent a bit of time at each table and worked the room. I don't expect them to mingle with the crowd but in the corprate tent it was sponsors and thier guests they should have made everybody feel welcome.
I know all about regional NSW mate, grew up in Dubbo. Those tick prices were a flat out joke for park ground facilities! Can't believe how expensive they were :(

Last edited:

Glen

Bench
Any word on the expected Roosters/Dragons crowd for Anzac Day?

Surely with the Roosters flying high and the Dragons scraping some wins together lately it will be good. Any chance of a sellout?

bazza

Immortal
Any word on the expected Roosters/Dragons crowd for Anzac Day?

Surely with the Roosters flying high and the Dragons scraping some wins together lately it will be good. Any chance of a sellout?

There are only single seats available in premium reserved and the weather looks good
It could be a crowd that the 'NRL could only dream about'

The cost of tickets was way too high , but cost of living is not higher in regional areas.

The major cost of living is housing. Housing is much cheaper in regional areas , hence wages are cheaper.
grocey bills are higher, fuel is higher, cost of housing compared to income is too high (on the coast anyway).
Lets just say the NRL has lost touch with the regional areas. $160 for a jersey, try selling them in regional areas?.

Billythekid

First Grade
It would be f*cking fantastic if we could get 40K+ after all the BS about how bad our crowds are relative to other codes (a league in particular). It would also mean we are in for another huge week of crowds in general.

grocey bills are higher, fuel is higher, cost of housing compared to income is too high (on the coast anyway).
Lets just say the NRL has lost touch with the regional areas. $160 for a jersey, try selling them in regional areas?.

$160 jerseys are a travesty anywhere and i'm hoping at some point the ARLC realise this.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Im sure they'll get 40,000. I cant see why they wouldn't.

They got just over 40k last year when both sides werent at their best.

Now with the Roosters doing well, and the Dragons chasing 4 in row, this should get a bumper crowd.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Those ticket prices are a disgrace. I wouldn't have gone either.

No concessions? Wtf

Also when was the game confirmed for Central Coast? I thought it was very late
You referring to City-Country?

Central Coast is one hour north of Sydney - Coffs Harbour is on the North Coast, 5-6 hours north.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Pax 16,532 as of 5 minutes ago for chooks v dragons.

Thats double what it was a few days out from our game against the doggies. Our members plus SCGT plus the pax should be 30k already

Of course the telegraph will do their best to downplay the crowd. But wouldn't it be great if it actually outdrew the a-league GF!

LatK7

First Grade
Pax 16,532 as of 5 minutes ago for chooks v dragons.

Thats double what it was a few days out from our game against the doggies. Our members plus SCGT plus the pax should be 30k already

Of course the telegraph will do their best to downplay the crowd. But wouldn't it be great if it actually outdrew the a-league GF!

Definitely achievable. Last year we were only 2k off what the GF pulled yesterday.

Weather looks good, Saints three on the trot, Saints fans travel, Easts playing well. Should go close I hope.

Dogs Of War

Coach
A lot of bullshit and plain ignorance on this thread re: City v Country. But only to be expected. I don't think I can even be bothered argiung it. The fact is virtually no one in the sport gives two f**ks about country football. Some people half-heartedly say they do, but they don't really. It's just lip-service. Maybe the small crowd at the game shows just how much help the game needs in the bush. But instead the so-called supporters of the game want the game scrapped. Brilliant.

Well there are some people who can think outside the square, and even better it would help the CRL more than the current situation as it would provide double the income.

1. Country roads, take me somewhere
Support for the City-Country game rallied over the 24 hours before Sunday?s game at BCU Stadium in Coffs Harbour. Then 4635 people showed up. The question to be answered is whether NSW needs a selection trial at all. Paul Gallen did say on Triple M on Sunday night that he would have confidence playing alongside Adam Reynolds after seeing him in action. So assuming they do need the game, the next question is whether candidates actually oppose each other in that selection trial. On Sunday, that probably happened only in the front row or second row ... maybe the centres. So if the object is to see how players fare at rep level, not against each other, then why do City and Country have to play each other? ??Sydney Origin?? would draw a massive crowd in Port Moresby, while Country could take on an island nation or Pacific All Stars in a rural centre and interest would be huge. In the NRL, we?re trying to find the right venues for the right games. At rep level, we have to find the right opponents for the right teams.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ative-round-20130421-2i8p3.html#ixzz2R9stqJYv

Though I think both matches should be played in country area's. One game vs PNG, one game vs Fiji or similar, with the Samoa v Tonga match on, would be great for international footy, and for Country Rugby League fans.

themacemaceman

Juniors
I attended a trial game at coffs last year rabbits v titans and that must have been close to a sellout. Hardly any room to park your bum on the hill behind the goalposts. Yesterday there was hardly any people sitting in the areas behind the field. The only factor could be the prices. Surely they could have monitored the ticket sales in the lead up and saw that they were struggling and slashed the prices close to the match to get some punters through the door.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
C v C has traditionally been well attended, selling out or close-to at most venues.

Not quite sure what's gone wrong at Coffs, but if it's held anywhere else I reckon it'll be a full house.

Dogs Of War

Coach
C v C has traditionally been well attended, selling out or close-to at most venues.

Not quite sure what's gone wrong at Coffs, but if it's held anywhere else I reckon it'll be a full house.

What are the TV ratings like though? Im sure any normal NRL game outrates C v C

all i heard leading upto it was the tickets were too pricey and people were saying they couldn't afford to take the family so they wouldn't go.
It was a great afternoon out but i wouldn't pay those ticket prices.
Me thinks they wanted it to fail to make it easier to scrap the game.

Saint Doc

Coach
I think everyone should set ANZAC expectations lower.

Last year it was our home game played at their home ground. What that obviously means is about 10,000 sydney redv ticketed members get in free. Then you get a big Easts turn out because its their ground and a lot of SCG members are roosters fans.

When its roosters home year, you don't get that double whammy. Saints fans have to pay for their ticket, and whilst we'll travel well, some people ESP families won't come.

I say hope for 30,000. Anything more is a bonus.

Talk of beating a-league crowd is just preparing for disappointment IMO

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
God we got owned yesterday.

To be at a club with TVs on side by side

Was absolutely embarrassing

It was like watching an fa cup final on one tv and a game of local reserve grade on other

Status
Not open for further replies.