What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Problem is doc, that contractually we need to provide this match, as well tonga and Samoa just entered into a 4 year agreement to play this weekend.

So what we need to look at is a match to replace c v c that has more appeal. I think a nsw b v png could be that match. I'm sure all the qlders would tune in to cheer on png. Currently there is no interest there.

Either way, there's no point doing what you always did and expect a different result. C v c has had it's day. Time to try something new.

Last edited:
I don't think that this rep weekend is a bad idea. Indeed, all it needs is a tweak. Why not put Tonga v Samoa on Sunday afternoon? Will rate its mammaries off on Nine. That gives us Friday and Sunday with FTA games to screw the competitors with.

Put CvC on Saturday night. What a great night out in the right country location. Get Fiji in on the action. The Bati are proactive at any rate. Have them play NSW B in Newcastle (where there are already plenty of Fijians in the Knights, right?) and I will cheer them all the way to full time. Put a Queensland B game on in Rocky or Mackay against the Kumuls and we have the perfect weekend.

Edit: Okay, with all of these Bs there's no room for CvC. Still, there's still the NYC Origin.

Free kick to soccer, AFL or onion? Hardly. :lol: :D

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Scrap C v C and have a regional round. All games for the round played in regional stadiums that don't get regular games. Give the gate or catering rights to the local RL comp, God knows they need the cash.

Wasnt it supposed to happen this year?

We've only got 3 games played in country areas. Hopefully next year more NRL clubs will move matches to rural areas in NSW, QLD, Victoria and NZL.

papabear

Juniors
There is 10 dollar tickets deal for the dogs and tigers up until tomorow night. 2.50 hotdogs as well I'm thinking of going

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Judging by some of Melbourne Storm's tweets tonight they are expecting a big crowd on Thursday. This fixture has got over 20k the past 3 seasons. Could go as high as 25k this year.

Diesel

Referee
The Storm draw a good crowd on the ANZAC Night game, partly because of the Kiwis living there and some of the walk up crowd after the game at the G

Whatever the plan is with the rep weekend, CvC needs to be re-tweaked to include a lower ranked international team or scrap the whole CvC thing and just play internationals and the U20's.

NSW SOO doesn't need CvC to choose the team

docbrown

Coach
Problem is doc, that contractually we need to provide this match

If - and I suspect it's a big if - they're contractually bound that they're required to provide that specific match then how is it possible for NSW B vs PNG to be an alternative without adjusting said contract?

And if you can adjust it for that, then surely it can be adjusted to show an NRL game instead...

Honestly, why do we need a rep weekend at all? The Australia vs New Zealand game is a good marketing product.

I don't care if NRL stars are missing for club duty. Just schedule 3 matches involving the 6 clubs that have the fewest Australian & New Zealand rep players.

I don't get why people are trying to cram in internationals into this one week period.

I'd rather PNG play a proper international than a state B side as a filler game but to be honest I'd actually prefer a proper Pacific Cup with the island nations every October/November and get rid of the notion that we need to cram it into this weekend.

To recap -

Test Match Weekend
Friday: Anzac Test Match - AUS vs NZ
Saturday, Sunday, Monday: 3-4 NRL games involving clubs with fewest test rep stars

Country Round
later in the season play 6 games (Southern NSW, Western NSW, Northern NSW, Southern QLD, Northern QLD, regional NZ) to replace City vs Country

End of Season
Annual Pacific Cup tournament - (PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands & maybe even USA)

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
There is 10 dollar tickets deal for the dogs and tigers up until tomorow night. 2.50 hotdogs as well I'm thinking of going

tumblr_mbxsfq4Ul61qeqpsd.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore

Perth Red

Post Whore
If - and I suspect it's a big if - they're contractually bound that they're required to provide that specific match then how is it possible for NSW B vs PNG to be an alternative without adjusting said contract?

And if you can adjust it for that, then surely it can be adjusted to show an NRL game instead...

Honestly, why do we need a rep weekend at all? The Australia vs New Zealand game is a good marketing product.

I don't care if NRL stars are missing for club duty. Just schedule 3 matches involving the 6 clubs that have the fewest Australian & New Zealand rep players.

I don't get why people are trying to cram in internationals into this one week period.

I'd rather PNG play a proper international than a state B side as a filler game but to be honest I'd actually prefer a proper Pacific Cup with the island nations every October/November and get rid of the notion that we need to cram it into this weekend.

To recap -

Test Match Weekend
Friday: Anzac Test Match - AUS vs NZ
Saturday, Sunday, Monday: 3-4 NRL games involving clubs with fewest test rep stars

Country Round
later in the season play 6 games (Southern NSW, Western NSW, Northern NSW, Southern QLD, Northern QLD, regional NZ) to replace City vs Country

End of Season
Annual Pacific Cup tournament - (PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands & maybe even USA)

I'd keep the mid season int weekend, adds much greater focus to the international scene and gives a bit of a rest from the grind of club football. The test matches featuring the island nations could count towards the pacific cup which can be completed in oct/nov with the rest of the games in the island nations. Just need to add in png v Fiji and Cook Islands v USA to the schedule. The six teams then play each other through oct/nov with top two teams playing in the final.

undertaker

Coach
Only GA tickets left for the Sea Eagles/Rabbitohs match. Given there's going to be perfect weather on Friday, Brookvale should sell-out once again and get a very similar crowd to what the Sea Eagles got against the Sharks.

Country Round

Doc, where in southern Queensland would you host a game? I can only think of Toowoomba or Caloundra outside of Brissie that could possibly do it. And Caloundra is hardly country.

As for the Northern game, the only really "country" option I can think of that could manage it is Mt Isa. Ideally, Rocky could get a game.

End of Season
Annual Pacific Cup tournament - (PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands & maybe even USA)[/QUOTE]

We've come a long way even from 2008. It's my understanding that the ARL only had about a quarter of a million sitting in the bank to back the World Cup and that there were a few due dilligence concerns behind the scenes when it came to venues. Maybe you know more about this than I, doc, so I will just put it out there. Just say I was right it is pretty remarkable that we pulled off the world cup as the success it was.

firechild

First Grade
Only GA tickets left for the Sea Eagles/Rabbitohs match. Given there's going to be perfect weather on Friday, Brookvale should sell-out once again and get a very similar crowd to what the Sea Eagles got against the Sharks.

Almost certain to be more. I'd guess around 19-20k, not sure if any more is possible with the new configuration.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Doc, where in southern Queensland would you host a game? I can only think of Toowoomba or Caloundra outside of Brissie that could possibly do it. And Caloundra is hardly country.

As for the Northern game, the only really "country" option I can think of that could manage it is Mt Isa. Ideally, Rocky could get a game.

End of Season

Toowoomba for sure - Clive Berghoffer would be great. Toowoomba schools have a great sporting culture and can get 7 - 10k for Grammar V Downlands Schoolboy Rugby.

Toowoomba, like Brisbane love a hot ticket in town and would swamp them, regardless of who is playing.

Dogs Of War

Coach
docbrown said:
Country Round

I don't agree with playing all those games in one round. I think they should be spread over the season so there are multiple opportunities to blow the country game trumpet. As well I think we really need to ensure that area's like Sydney have a game in town every weekend.

Valheru

Coach
City vs Country is a good marketing tool but so is a Country Round. It doesn't need to be on Anzac Test Weekend either.
To be honest I really think these NRL-free weekends are a mistake and just open up opportunities for our competitors.
I'd rather see a 27 week season starting on the first Thursday in March with teams playing 24 games and having 3 byes a season.
Anzac Test Weekend - 3 NRL club games
Week after Anzac Test Weekend - 7 NRL club games
Weekend Prior to Origin match - 4 NRL club games
Weekend after Origin match - 6 NRL club games
Keep Internationals for October & November.

For me it should be a 26 week season with 2 byes as it is now and no representative weekend. I like your idea of a country round where all the games are played in country areas throughout NSW, QLD, VIC and NZ (another city in NZ would suffice).

The ANZAC test has become redundant IMO and the results have nothing to do with it. It is played a week before ANZAC day for starters and the Dragons/Roosters game is far and away the highlight of the ANZAC period. Additionally we have full international schedules at the end of the season which is exactly where they should be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts