What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel

Referee
They need to either throw the gates open for this one to say, thank you for your support or offer severally discounted tickets, or else they'll be dreaming they got the pax at Campbelltown earlier this year

guyver78

Juniors
Just got back from Brooky...
What a win to Manly, you have to feel for the Knights there absolutely heartbreaking...
Crowd wasn't the best, atmosphere was also very dead and non-existent, didn't even hear that annoying "maaaaanlyyyyyy" more then 3 times...
On a more positive note I was entertained as a neutral at the ground and because there wasn't all that many people got to stand comfortably just about anywhere on the hill & got a good view...

Just looking at the ground and standing on that hill I really don't know how a team like Manly in 10 years from now will be able to compete with teams that play out of either the SFS or ANZ. Unless the redevelop that ground into a 30,000 seater they're in real trouble financially down the track as nights like tonight will be about as good as it will ever get there...

Dogs Of War

Coach
Just got back from Brooky...
What a win to Manly, you have to feel for the Knights there absolutely heartbreaking...
Crowd wasn't the best, atmosphere was also very dead and non-existent, didn't even hear that annoying "maaaaanlyyyyyy" more then 3 times...
On a more positive note I was entertained as a neutral at the ground and because there wasn't all that many people got to stand comfortably just about anywhere on the hill & got a good view...

Just looking at the ground and standing on that hill I really don't know how a team like Manly in 10 years from now will be able to compete with teams that play out of either the SFS or ANZ. Unless the redevelop that ground into a 30,000 seater they're in real trouble financially down the track as nights like tonight will be about as good as it will ever get there...

Even worse is if they have a couple of bad seasons back to back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even worse is if they have a couple of bad seasons back to back.

If they draw sub 9k with a consistently winning team you'd hate to think what a losing one would get!

Year they won the title they only just broke even, some tough choices for Manly ahead.

Brutus

Referee
Ricky Stuart should actually play for the Raiders on Sunday.

He'd be better value to the club as a player.

Last edited:

guyver78

Juniors
If they draw sub 9k with a consistently winning team you'd hate to think what a losing one would get!

Year they won the title they only just broke even, some tough choices for Manly ahead.

Well there's that as well and thankfully for the club that hasn't happened yet hence why they've been cruising along.

It may very well be that in a few years Manly might have to move some of their bigger home games to the SFS against teams like the Rabbitohs/Dragons/Dogs/Roosters just to survive.

People will complain, people will threaten not to go to games, there will be an outcry but it might come down to it's either move or the club doesn't survive...

manly fans are weird.

theyw in games. their team is good. they get bad crowds.

is brookie that bad?

Sharks get ok crowds considering the club continually pisses on the fans with decisions, recruitment and form

Dogs Of War

Coach
manly fans are weird.

theyw in games. their team is good. they get bad crowds.

is brookie that bad?

Sharks get ok crowds considering the club continually pisses on the fans with decisions, recruitment and form

Main thing is that it's just a hard ground to get to from anywhere else in Sydney. Being a crappy facility ground doesn't help with getting the families in either. What people expect facility wise has gone up heaps. Especially as we really get into winter.

Ideally you would get another ground closer to public transport (say around Chatswood), where you are still close to the Northern Beaches, but can accommodate away fans and Manly supporters who want better facilities.

azsportza

Live Update Team
Some food for thought – Working on my next LU infographic of crowds and TV numbers. This shows round totals for the first 10 rounds.

Timbo

Staff member
Chatswood would be ideal for Manly, in that it's further away from their own fan base but much more easily accessible for everyone else getting more away and neutral fans at the ground.

They easily have the hardest call to make in the coming years. I could see The Sharks ending up at the SFS or ANZ (or Adelaide, *ducks*) but if Manly moved to ANZ or the SFS, with the apathy of their own fans about crossing the bridge, it would probably kill the club.

Thinking about the Sharks, it occurred to me that a Super Stadium in the South somewhere could be a viable option given the Dragons are unlikely to get more money for Kogarah. 18 games a year played out of it would put it on par with any stadium that they're planning on building at Blacktown for Penrith and Wests to share.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Thinking about the Sharks, it occurred to me that a Super Stadium in the South somewhere could be a viable option given the Dragons are unlikely to get more money for Kogarah. 18 games a year played out of it would put it on par with any stadium that they're planning on building at Blacktown for Penrith and Wests to share.

Really that southern stadium would only need to be able to host 12 or so games a year, with the rest being played at the SFS/ANZ/Gong. So 20K should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts