What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canard

Immortal
8000 tickets a week out is insanity.

Someone deserves to be sacked over this.

People without tickets aren't going to purchase any of the 8000 yet either, as its been made clear that there will be some sort of "cut-price" raffle happening between now and Wednesday night.

That will generate some serious bad will with those that have bought tickets at the price range.

undertaker

Coach
Just got back from Brooky...
What a win to Manly, you have to feel for the Knights there absolutely heartbreaking...
Crowd wasn't the best, atmosphere was also very dead and non-existent, didn't even hear that annoying "maaaaanlyyyyyy" more then 3 times...
On a more positive note I was entertained as a neutral at the ground and because there wasn't all that many people got to stand comfortably just about anywhere on the hill & got a good view...

Just looking at the ground and standing on that hill I really don't know how a team like Manly in 10 years from now will be able to compete with teams that play out of either the SFS or ANZ. Unless the redevelop that ground into a 30,000 seater they're in real trouble financially down the track as nights like tonight will be about as good as it will ever get there...

In Manly's defense, you have to say that compared to ANZ Stadium - which is more accessible via public transportation - Brookvale Oval is a big problem to get to for a Monday night match. It's unfortunate for them that Pittwater Road is the main route to get there from the city. Hold last night's match on Friday night, Saturday night or Sunday and with good weather, you can add another few thousand to last night's crowd. Irrespective of whether some grounds are easier to get to than others, I think we all agree that across all teams, Monday Night Football is a crowd killer and whilst the game is great to watch on tv, it sucks for the team hosting in that timeslot. Not even the $50k or so that Gallop introduced to compensate teams for hosting matches makes up for the lost revenue in crowd attendance and other facilities like food and beverages.

However, i do agree with you that the Sea Eagles will be in big financial trouble if they don't get any upgrades and much needed corporate facilities to their ground within the next 5-10 years, and it won't be financially sustainable to continue playing out of Brookvale. For the Sea Eagles (and this has been discussed in their forum), they'll either have to take more home matches to Gosford, Allianz, or if it was redeveloped, play matches at the stadium in Narrabeen (if they want to remain in the Northern Beaches).

I can see with the recent proposal for Allianz Stadium to be done up and ANZ Stadium paying teams to play their home matches there, Sydney teams that play their home matches at suburban grounds will be taking more home matches to Allianz or ANZ Stadium. It's inevitable.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
8000 tickets a week out is insanity.

Someone deserves to be sacked over this.

People without tickets aren't going to purchase any of the 8000 yet either, as its been made clear that there will be some sort of "cut-price" raffle happening between now and Wednesday night.

That will generate some serious bad will with those that have bought tickets at the price range.

Yeah, I have heard of people who bought bronze tickets buying silver at the reduced rate and now just handing off their bronze ones.

Just hand them out.

They didn't even market the price reduction, just shit adds that say to go.

Everyone thinks that the only tickets left are 220 plus. People on gumtree are asking for bronze tickets at inflated prices but less than 220!

Its just insane.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
NSW netball team got 10,118 which is better than Manwhee and the Raiders,these two teams are gone for that reason alone,we only have 14 teams left in the comp now with Manwhee and the Raiders sacked

4 new teams can come in the comp now,Perth,Wellington,Brisbane team,someone else,thank you for your service to the NRL Raiders and Manwhee,we will set you up with a pension for life

undertaker

Coach
The only positive if Suncorp gets less than 50k is that it will force the organisers to lower the prices in the future. It's unbelievable that in the home of Origin, there's still 8k tickets unsold with a week to go. I had a bad feeling there was going to be a massive price hike this year after jacking up the Grand Final ticket prices last year.

guyver78

Juniors
The only positive if Suncorp gets less than 50k is that it will force the organisers to lower the prices in the future. It's unbelievable that in the home of Origin, there's still 8k tickets unsold with a week to go. I had a bad feeling there was going to be a massive price hike this year after jacking up the Grand Final ticket prices last year.

ZERO sympathy for the pricks from me, they got all they deserved for being greedy. Funny how Mal Meninga is coming out now and blasting the QRL for these prices when he was one of the vocal ones that supported the price hike publicly last year.

Will be interesting to see what happens in NSW a month from now for game 2, especially if QLD whacks NSW in game 1 28-8 or something along those lines.

Main thing is that it's just a hard ground to get to from anywhere else in Sydney. Being a crappy facility ground doesn't help with getting the families in either. What people expect facility wise has gone up heaps. Especially as we really get into winter.

Ideally you would get another ground closer to public transport (say around Chatswood), where you are still close to the Northern Beaches, but can accommodate away fans and Manly supporters who want better facilities.

Thanks.

ive never been there so i didnt know it was hard to access.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

I could tell this was going to happen when they brough in the maroon membership in 2011.

guyver78

Juniors
In Manly's defense, you have to say that compared to ANZ Stadium - which is more accessible via public transportation - Brookvale Oval is a big problem to get to for a Monday night match. It's unfortunate for them that Pittwater Road is the main route to get there from the city. Hold last night's match on Friday night, Saturday night or Sunday and with good weather, you can add another few thousand to last night's crowd. Irrespective of whether some grounds are easier to get to than others, I think we all agree that across all teams, Monday Night Football is a crowd killer and whilst the game is great to watch on tv, it sucks for the team hosting in that timeslot. Not even the $50k or so that Gallop introduced to compensate teams for hosting matches makes up for the lost revenue in crowd attendance and other facilities like food and beverages.

However, i do agree with you that the Sea Eagles will be in big financial trouble if they don't get any upgrades and much needed corporate facilities to their ground within the next 5-10 years, and it won't be financially sustainable to continue playing out of Brookvale. For the Sea Eagles (and this has been discussed in their forum), they'll either have to take more home matches to Gosford, Allianz, or if it was redeveloped, play matches at the stadium in Narrabeen (if they want to remain in the Northern Beaches).

I can see with the recent proposal for Allianz Stadium to be done up and ANZ Stadium paying teams to play their home matches there, Sydney teams that play their home matches at suburban grounds will be taking more home matches to Allianz or ANZ Stadium. It's inevitable.

Yeah I remember back in 2006 people were saying that there was no way Souths were going to pull in any crowds at ANZ away from their traditional ground and how there was going to be a few lonely red and green flags flying around bla bla...

It will be the same with Manly. People will complain, threaten not to go to games etc etc but as the years go on new supporters will surface, people will get used to it, crowds will gradually grow and most importantly Manly will survive.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
ZERO sympathy for the pricks from me, they got all they deserved for being greedy. Funny how Mal Meninga is coming out now and blasting the QRL for these prices when he was one of the vocal ones that supported the price hike publicly last year.

Will be interesting to see what happens in NSW a month from now for game 2, especially if QLD whacks NSW in game 1 28-8 or something along those lines.

They wanted the membership to take over, and basically sell 40,000 of the 45,000 general public seats as memberships and sell the last 5,000 to the GP.

Keep in mind the price hike last year was about $30-$40 across each category. Not $130+.

Kind of like in the EPL how all the seats are members bar say 2,000.

guyver78

Juniors
I could tell this was going to happen when they brough in the maroon membership in 2011.

In the end it's like anything else in the society that we live in. Everything from your public transport, to the time you get your morning coffee, lunch, dinner and eventually attend your footy game is designed to take as much money away from you as possible.

guyver78

Juniors
They wanted the membership to take over, and basically sell 40,000 of the 45,000 general public seats as memberships and sell the last 5,000 to the GP.

Keep in mind the price hike last year was about $30-$40 across each category. Not $130+.

Kind of like in the EPL how all the seats are members bar say 2,000.

It would have made a bit more $$$ for them too. In other words if you're not a member you have very little chance of buying tickets to the game.

Roosters and Manly have one thing in common a non-existent fan-base despite constant winning. Explain why crowds are down when there top of the ladder and the likes of Eels, and West Tigers are down at the bottom. Luckily, a strong Eels this year will reap benefits this season in particular post-origin against the Bulldogs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have noroblem with NRL club members having first dibs at tickets as a reward for supporting their clubs/game. I am pleased q'landers are sticking two fingers up at the NRL at being ripped off. No RL game should ever cost more than $150 for a decen seat IMO. The game is coined and yet they have decided to now fleece the fans. Do they have joe Hockey as financial advisor?

guyver78

Juniors
I'd also be interested to see what happens to all these memberships if the Blues start winning and win 3 in a row.

juro

Bench
Doing my comparison of games again (see http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=10147357&postcount=2019), Round 10 was down on the average of the equivalent games from 2009-2013. We got 135k, but the average was 155k.

The big drop was Bulldogs vs Warriors (-11k), where the old average was 29k (thanks to only 2 games over the averaging period, one of which was 42k in 2009).

Other negatives were:
- Manly vs Knights -5k
- Broncos vs Titans -4k
- Eels vs Dragons -3k

Positives were:
- Cowboys vs Roosters +2k
- Sharks vs Tigers +1k

crowd_2014_r10.png

Next week's par crowd total is 78k, but I think we will really struggle to get near that.

My guesses are:
Bulldogs vs Roosters: 16k
Titans vs Warriors: 12k
Tigers vs Broncos: 16k
Raiders vs Cowboys: 8k
Sharks vs Souths: 12k
Total: 64k

Canard

Immortal

Not having a go, do you have any link where Mal vocally supported a price hike? That seems a bit of an odd thing for a coach to comment on? And an pretty silly PR exercise whether he believed in the hike or not.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Roosters and Manly have one thing in common a non-existent fan-base despite constant winning. Explain why crowds are down when there top of the ladder and the likes of Eels, and West Tigers are down at the bottom. Luckily, a strong Eels this year will reap benefits this season in particular post-origin against the Bulldogs.

I cant wait for Eels vs Dogs ANZ....................should crack 40k if Parra and Dogs continue there form.

some11

Referee

What on earth was wrong with it for the past 30 years??

Paul Kind can keep trotting out the "it's priced in-line with other premium events" line all he wants, it's not going to sell tickets.

The QRL can shove it up their arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.