What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
How origin is allowed to continue in its present format and time is beyond me. It is ripping the heart out of the club season and international footy. Anythig that damages the integrity of the code should be banished or at least changed so that it doesn't.

The graph above is enough evidence to show its effect on the game.

Imo there should be no byes as we know them now but the game should go into a 3 week mid season break with origin and other reps the focus. Would only make the season a week longer

Last edited:

guyver78

Juniors
Not having a go, do you have any link where Mal vocally supported a price hike? That seems a bit of an odd thing for a coach to comment on? And an pretty silly PR exercise whether he believed in the hike or not.

Here you go mate, I clearly remember he said much more on TV...
Who knows who told him to say what or when and i'm not having a go at big Mal, personally I liked him as a player myself but it just looks a little silly now as it looks like he's done a full 360.

Then again who knows what coaches are allowed to say or what they're being told to say to the public.

QUEENSLAND coach Mal Meninga has defended the rise in State of Origin ticket prices despite an increase of 55 per cent for some seats for next year's series at Suncorp Stadium.

The QRL has come under fire for the pricing strategy, but Meninga and QRL boss Rob Moore insist the average league fan has not been priced out of attending Origin.

Meninga said he hoped the new pricing structure would encourage more Maroons memberships as Queensland shoot for a ninth consecutive crown in 2014.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-help-grassroots/story-fni3fbgz-1226734688257

hutch

First Grade
How origin is allowed to continue in its present format and time is beyond me. It is ripping the heart out of the club season and international footy. Anythig that damages the integrity of the code should be banished or at least changed so that it doesn't.

The graph above is enough evidence to show its effect on the game.

Imo there should be no byes as we know them now but the game should go into a 3 week mid season break with origin and other reps the focus. Would only make the season a week longer

Yep! It has to change, I think it will but not before this tv deal is completed!

reanimate

Bench

Agreed, the damage it does to club RL in its current format definitely warrants changing the comp structure so club and international games aren't affected any more.

Diesel

Referee
If game 1 is 8000 short of a sell out what happens to game 3 if it's wrapped up by then or the impossible and NSW are leading 2-0.
Serves these greedy wankers right for not having a sell out

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Change to structure is needed. Origin is cannibalising NRL.

i thought my suggestion would go down like a lead balloon!

I also don't want to see empty seats at origin, but i feel at these prices going into any game 3 in future with it already wrapped is going to be an embarrassing disaster

One suggestion if expansion was to occur and get to 18 teams. Reduce to 22 rounds, on origin week no NRL games on. I know the weakness would be the 'free kick' to the other codes it is needed though to minimize the damage to the competition and preserve the quality of the competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And so it should be, there is no justification other than greed for a price hike like that. Can anyone tell me any other premium event that takes place three times a year and charges this sort of price? You might pay it for a once in a decade or lifetime experience but annually, not likely.

guyver78

Juniors
One suggestion if expansion was to occur and get to 18 teams. Reduce to 22 rounds, on origin week no NRL games on. I know the weakness would be the 'free kick' to the other codes it is needed though to minimize the damage to the competition and preserve the quality of the competition.

Agreed and good call. I'm all for Origin as a standalone weekend and reducing the amount of games our elite athletes play. That way the majority of them wouldn't be forced into retirement as soon as they hit 30/31. It would also ensure games are more worthwhile for fans to attend as there isn't that many of them.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
What on earth was wrong with it for the past 30 years??

Paul Kind can keep trotting out the "it's priced in-line with other premium events" line all he wants, it's not going to sell tickets.

The QRL can shove it up their arse.

I know! It wasn't broken, no need to fix it.

Brutus

Referee
I heard Paul Kind interviewed on 4BC last night about the Origin ticket sale issue. He sounded exactly like Gallop. "It's all about balance".

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I heard Paul Kind interviewed on 4BC last night about the Origin ticket sale issue. He sounded exactly like Gallop. "It's all about balance".

He IS a Gallop leftover, and should lose his job over this.

NRL marketing definitely needs new leadership.

Brutus

Referee
He IS a Gallop leftover, and should lose his job over this.

NRL marketing definitely needs new leadership.

Agree. It sounded like the last stain of Gallop

He dropped the word "balance" about 20 times during the interview and his voice was very Gallopesque.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Ive conned some work colleagues into getting some discounted tickets. They are a bit geriatric (bless) so I will walk them to the agency and get a pax.

Status
Not open for further replies.