What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
But thats the thing...

They can raise the prices like that because there are still 50,000 people willing to pay at the new prices.

You may feel its unfair to you personally because you cannot afford it and therefore you will miss out. But, conversely, offering it at a cheaper price will mean that more people are willing to buy than there are seats to sell; the people that want the seats more than others (willing to pay a higher price) have no advantage, may no get seats and it is unfair to them.

I realise how cold and calculating that is, but its basic economics and we live in a (mostly) free market. You can either accept that or start a Communist revolution....

Tickets booked, to both. All three, for that matter.

Its very logical money wise, but you should see just how poor the sales are. It will most probably sell out, but I will be not at all shocked if its below 50,000.

I feel sorry for the families, It should be an appropriate price and first in best dressed. Everyone from all classes knew when the tickets would go on sale, and they would know that it would be hard to get them. Even last year the tickets were sold slowly, with a large corporate group deciding not to show.

But hey, caxton st bar owners are STOKED.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Good business theory tells you to sell your product for the highest possible price where you can still ensure no wasted (ie unsold) product.

If they get a sell out with the current pricing then the price is not too high.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Good business theory tells you to sell your product for the highest possible price where you can still ensure no wasted (ie unsold) product.

Yep, I think they have gone way to far.

seanoff

Juniors

no that's economics. elasticity of demand and the intersection on supply and demand.

demand for origin tickets will be more inelastic than demand for seats for an average game. and the demand curve for origin tickets will be shifted by the event. (i.e. more people will be prepared to pay to go and at a higher price and that demand will be less effected by the price of the tickets)

however. business is a little more complex because you have to factor in consumer preference, consumer confidence etc etc. You cannot afford to annoy your base consumer because that is your base demand. if they feel like they're being taken advantage of they might just go somewhere else. (imagine going into subway, order a 6 inch, almost finished making it, another person comes in wants a 12, the person leaves you, completes the 12 transaction and comes back. economically sensible, more money, demand in the short term is the same. in the longer term the demand curve has moved negatively because you are never going back to that place again)

Pricing origin tickets above the reach of your base consumer can be a dangerous game as those base consumers may become disenfranchised, therefore taking demand away from the base product.

whether it's close to that level. i suspect not. but it appears that it's approaching the level where it is starting to have some effect. but origin tickets i suspect have a heavily shifted demand curve and lots of elasticity in that demand.

TLDR. not business, economics, long explanation of why.

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Origin sells out in Queensland in 25 seconds cos the insecure donkeys up there think that winning a 2 team comp against the same failures every year actually means something,they think its like winning a Cricket world cup or an Olympic gold medal

You're so dumb Queenslanders

Chook Norris

First Grade
no that's economics. elasticity of demand and the intersection on supply and demand.

demand for origin tickets will be more elastic than demand for seats for an average game. and the demand curve for origin tickets will be shifted by the event. (i.e. more people will be prepared to pay to go and at a higher price and that demand will be less effected by the price of the tickets)

however. business is a little more complex because you have to factor in consumer preference, consumer confidence etc etc. You cannot afford to annoy your base consumer because that is your base demand. if they feel like they're being taken advantage of they might just go somewhere else. (imagine going into subway, order a 6 inch, almost finished making it, another person comes in wants a 12, the person leaves you, completes the 12 transaction and comes back. economically sensible, more money, demand in the short term is the same. in the longer term the demand curve has moved negatively because you are never going back to that place again)

Pricing origin tickets above the reach of your base consumer can be a dangerous game as those base consumers may become disenfranchised, therefore taking demand away from the base product.

whether it's close to that level. i suspect not. but it appears that it's approaching the level where it is starting to have some effect. but origin tickets i suspect have a heavily shifted demand curve and lots of elasticity in that demand.

Pretty sure demand for origin seats are relatively inelastic compared to the average game mate. It would be less elastic given a change in price is less likely to influence consumer demand for the product; people really want to watch Origin; it's a marquee event. Given how quickly tickets have sold out in the past up there, I think the price change wont affect whether it sells out or not.

seanoff

Juniors
Pretty sure demand for origin seats are relatively inelastic compared to the average game mate. It would be less elastic given a change in price is less likely to influence consumer demand for the product; people really want to watch Origin; it's a marquee event. Given how quickly tickets have sold out in the past up there, I think the price change wont affect whether it sells out or not.

indeed you are correct.

jesus. don't post after a nap is the lesson here. :oops:

georgesnmith

Juniors

demand for origin tickets will be more inelastic than demand for seats for an average game. and the demand curve for origin tickets will be shifted by the event. (i.e. more people will be prepared to pay to go and at a higher price and that demand will be less effected by the price of the tickets)

doesnt sound like you did more than economics 101 at uni (and im saying thats a best case scanrio)

could just be HSC economics

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Origin sells out in Queensland in 25 seconds cos the insecure donkeys up there think that winning a 2 team comp against the same failures every year actually means something,they think its like winning a Cricket world cup or an Olympic gold medal

You're so dumb Queenslanders
Or beating Wazn at a track gallop.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Tickets booked, to both. All three, for that matter.

Its very logical money wise, but you should see just how poor the sales are. It will most probably sell out, but I will be not at all shocked if its below 50,000.

I feel sorry for the families, It should be an appropriate price and first in best dressed. Everyone from all classes knew when the tickets would go on sale, and they would know that it would be hard to get them. Even last year the tickets were sold slowly, with a large corporate group deciding not to show.

But hey, caxton st bar owners are STOKED.

I dont really imagine they would care if it was sold out on the first day tickets were released or the night before the game was played. If it doesnt sell out, then they may look to lower the prices, but thats something we wont know until after the series and a partition wont effect this decision.

As for the families that cannot afford these prices, as terrible as it sounds, they just have to deal with it...

State Of Origin is the absolute premium product the ARLC has to offer. Its events like this that they can expect to make a good profit.

The NRL should cater for these lower income families, but they are doing this with deals for regular season games (like the Parra-Tigers game last week) where they have excess seating and it wont lose them money.

Like it or not, the NRL is a business (non-for-profit, sure. but still a business). The money they make off these Origin games will go to junior funding, school clinics or the like. THAT is why this isnt a bad thing....

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
doesnt sound like you did more than economics 101 at uni (and im saying thats a best case scanrio)

could just be HSC economics

says the most uninformed cretinous moron on the forum.:lol: and no a bit above that and a simple error.

my advanced micro professor made a similar mistake with supply and demand in 3rd year. everyone does it. it's pretty funny. that's why you get people to read your stuff and you read theirs. seen a few LOL REALLY? in my time.

but continue in your very small world. it's obviously safe in there for your restricted abilities.

BunniesMan

Immortal
People that can't afford origin aren't about to say "I was going to go to a bunch of NRL games but now I won't, that'll show the bastards".

Tickets should be priced as high as they can while still getting sell outs.

I'd raise Origin and Grand final tickets another 10% if they sell out. But I'd also reduce club games to no more than $20 per adult for GA.

I see where the nrl is coming from putting a premium price on origin and gf since the demand is willing to pay a increased price to be at a premium event to balance things the nrl should reduce ticket prices for regular season games as supply of tickets exceed demand of tickets the regular season. decrease price should increase demand in the long run if price correctly. while not undervalued the nrl as a product.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I dont really imagine they would care if it was sold out on the first day tickets were released or the night before the game was played. If it doesnt sell out, then they may look to lower the prices, but thats something we wont know until after the series and a partition wont effect this decision.

As for the families that cannot afford these prices, as terrible as it sounds, they just have to deal with it...

State Of Origin is the absolute premium product the ARLC has to offer. Its events like this that they can expect to make a good profit.

The NRL should cater for these lower income families, but they are doing this with deals for regular season games (like the Parra-Tigers game last week) where they have excess seating and it wont lose them money.

Like it or not, the NRL is a business (non-for-profit, sure. but still a business). The money they make off these Origin games will go to junior funding, school clinics or the like. THAT is why this isnt a bad thing....

Obviously the petition is not going to affect that decision. The group of us whom organised it just wanted to see what the public thought of it, and were very surprised.

State of Origin is the absolute premium product of course, but all should be able to attend. One of the reasons why this is such a big event is the crowds, the atmosphere, we don't want empty seats at Suncorp. Im sure profits were already great. Bring it up $20 a year, not DOUBLE to almost triple.

Your last paragraph is spot on yes, but again inflate the prices in moderation. They wouldn't try this if we were the ones staring down the barrel of 9 straight.

georgesnmith

Juniors
says the most uninformed cretinous moron on the forum.:lol: and no a bit above that and a simple error.

my advanced micro professor made a similar mistake with supply and demand in 3rd year. everyone does it. it's pretty funny. that's why you get people to read your stuff and you read theirs. seen a few LOL REALLY? in my time.

but continue in your very small world. it's obviously safe in there for your restricted abilities.

reading your post was tortuous.

concepts like elasticity of supply or demand were clearly after you dropped out.

trying to link it in with business ...painfull.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I'm no troll just a realist that looks at things from angles that are of a realistic nature and that nature is telling me rugby league has fallen way behind with being able to invest money in things like stadiums. Penrith, Parramatta, Leighardt etc are bloody run down. When I see the AFL havingbrand new stadiums like Adelade Oval, Geelongs new stadium, SCG redevolpment, Perths new billion dollar stadium and we are being left a long way behind.

I don't even think that's one point...

georgesnmith

Juniors
I'm no troll just a realist that looks at things from angles that are of a realistic nature and that nature is telling me rugby league has fallen way behind with being able to invest money in things like stadiums. Penrith, Parramatta, Leighardt etc are bloody run down. When I see the AFL havingbrand new stadiums like Adelade Oval, Geelongs new stadium, SCG redevolpment, Perths new billion dollar stadium and we are being left a long way behind.

sportingbet stadium is run down lol

at least if you are going to pretend to be a panthers fan google their home ground first.

flogball fans arent very bright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts