What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Manly are one of the best clubs in the NRL and you are inferring they need to do better? I wish my club was more like them.

But you guys are

Crap Stadium - Check
Hard to get to stadium - Check (actually you are a touch better than Manly)
Supporters won't travel out of local area to attend away games - Check
People who live in area believe they are in some sort of "paradise" - check
Premierships - Fail.

So you meet most of the criteria. I think the Manly Sharks could be a goer. 6 at Brooky, 6 at Shark Park.

Oikee
I recall you saying that after anzac day you were going to post something about rugby league. Cowboys vs broncos should sell out in Townsville.

newman

First Grade
But you guys are

Crap Stadium - Check
Hard to get to stadium - Check (actually you are a touch better than Manly)
Supporters won't travel out of local area to attend away games - Check
People who live in area believe they are in some sort of "paradise" - check
Premierships - Fail.

So you meet most of the criteria. I think the Manly Sharks could be a goer. 6 at Brooky, 6 at Shark Park.

There is one difference between the Sea Eagles and the Sharks. Success. A winning culture. They know how to win. That's what I was referring too.

And Remondis is miles better than Brooky. Miles.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Half the Kiwis will be NSW cup standard. Who is excited about this match? We're going to win by 50.

Crowd will be 25k if lucky.

Hardly. Have you even looked at the team? All first graders even if some are on the young side compared to the Aussie pensioners.

The only baffling.one is the dropping of jwh!

the match will be 28 or 29k which is not bad for the sfs on a Friday night where it is almost impossible to get over 30k on a Friday night anymore

firechild

First Grade
Manly's years of incredible form has been wasted on a club like that. Imagine the numbers a Parra or Souths would be delivering if we won as much as them.

Don't blame Manly for Souffs and Parra being shit. Fortunately either club having Manly's success is only something that can be imagined.

I understand that, but you lot barely even travel for finals and that's with the NRL hiring shuttles to games

The poor crowds every loves to reference are the 2011 Qualifying final against the Cowpats which got 13,972. That was played at 8:30pm meaning fans would be getting home at around midnight, not reasonable for kids. Compare that to the prelim final the same year also against a QLD side (Brisbane) and the crowd was 31,894 for a 7:45 kickoff on a Saturday night. It's only 45 minutes but it has a significant impact on how it is considered by fans, specifically those with kids.

The second was the 2012 semi final also against the Cowpats that was on a Friday night. Are you aware of how difficult it is to get home from work and then out to the SFS on a Friday night? The crowd that night was 16,678. You'd have been lucky to find 100 NQ fans at either game. Had both clubs had 16k fans turn up, it would have been 32k and an acceptable crowd.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Manly are one of the best clubs in the NRL and you are inferring they need to do better? I wish my club was more like them.

Not on the field obviously. I'm just saying their performances have been wasted when being peerless (among non cheating clubs) in modern times gets them a 13k average.

If Souths or Parra or Canterbury had won what they'd won we'd be averaging 30k. And that would do more to help the entire competitions averages.

Every team goes up and down the ladder but if one team has to have constant long term success you'd want it to be a team with potential to actually grow crowds.

newman

First Grade
Not on the field obviously. I'm just saying their performances have been wasted when being peerless (among non cheating clubs) in modern times gets them a 13k average.

If Souths or Parra or Canterbury had won what they'd won we'd be averaging 30k. And that would do more to help the entire competitions averages.

Every team goes up and down the ladder but if one team has to have constant long term success you'd want it to be a team with potential to actually grow crowds.

So?

Manly are a gun club. They have crappy crowds. Do you really think they care? A club has one KPI. Winning. Manly blow everyone else out of the water in this regard. I can tell you that they would spend about 10 seconds worrying about not having this mythical 20k average everyone is aspiring to.

oikee

Juniors
Oikee
I recall you saying that after anzac day you were going to post something about rugby league. Cowboys vs broncos should sell out in Townsville.

I have to build a fence, so the report could be a week from now. I have all the figures of both weekends and the massive crowds from Tigers and Manly this weekend, all ready to submit in a report that will shock,,,,many.
I will try to get it done by this weekend.

oikee

Juniors
Don't blame Manly for Souffs and Parra being shit. Fortunately either club having Manly's success is only something that can be imagined.

The poor crowds every loves to reference are the 2011 Qualifying final against the Cowpats which got 13,972. That was played at 8:30pm meaning fans would be getting home at around midnight, not reasonable for kids. Compare that to the prelim final the same year also against a QLD side (Brisbane) and the crowd was 31,894 for a 7:45 kickoff on a Saturday night. It's only 45 minutes but it has a significant impact on how it is considered by fans, specifically those with kids.

The second was the 2012 semi final also against the Cowpats that was on a Friday night. Are you aware of how difficult it is to get home from work and then out to the SFS on a Friday night? The crowd that night was 16,678. You'd have been lucky to find 100 NQ fans at either game. Had both clubs had 16k fans turn up, it would have been 32k and an acceptable crowd.

Thats fair enough, wrong place, wrong time, but you cant expect the Cows to fill your Sydney stadium, it is about time Manly fans stood up or got out.

Nobody would miss Manly. You get most your players from other powerhouse clubs anyhow.
Look at the Broncos, we have a reserve grade team because we cant field superstars.
We have a broken down centre and Parker, thats it, Manly has 5-7 international superstars.
Same as the Roosters.

newman

First Grade
Thats fair enough, wrong place, wrong time, but you cant expect the Cows to fill your Sydney stadium, it is about time Manly fans stood up or got out.

Nobody would miss Manly. You get most your players from other powerhouse clubs anyhow.
Look at the Broncos, we have a reserve grade team because we cant field superstars.
We have a broken down centre and Parker, thats it, Manly has 5-7 international superstars.
Same as the Roosters.

Oh give it a rest. It's time you got out because Manly aren't going anywhere. They will continue to play out of Brookvale to meagre crowds and they will continue to win games and premierships. I hope that eats you up.

And cry me a river about the Broncos. They had a state of origin team for years, get preferential treatment from 9, the NRL turns a blind eye to the Clydesdales brown paper bags, they have the pick of the sponsors (ch9 negotiated that NRMA deal for them). f**k them.

guyver78

Juniors
My First Suncorp Stadium Experience

Ok so I can finally claim that i've had my first suncorp stadium experience when the Rabbitohs played the Broncos last friday night. Looking at my experience as a whole from start to finish I now understand why the Broncos get 35,000+ to every game whilst Sydney teams struggle to average a measly 16,000 people. Well besides the obvious and having the whole state to themselves for a good 25 years now EVERYTHING is better about going to the footy in Brisbane.

Getting to the Game
My hotel room was a good 15 minutes walk from the station and the first thing that I noticed was how alive the whole city was 2-3 hours before the game. Caxton street was absolutely PACKED full of people, Broncos jerseys everywhere. Bars, clubs, pubs and restaurants were absolutely packed and there was this excitement in the air. It was like a carnival within a 5km radius of the stadium and you could really feel these people love their footy. You just don't get that in Sydney when a footy game is on except for the occasional blockbuster, SOO and finals footy.

The stadium itself is sooo conveniently close to everything. Getting in there and getting out was 100 times easier then getting to ANZ stadium.

The Stadium Itself
Having been to both stadiums now I must admit. As a whole Suncorp overall is a better stadium then ANZ but to say it's 100 times better or to go as far as saying that ANZ is garbage when compared to Suncorp is just NOT true.

Stadium Seating
I was fortunate enough to sit in 2 locations at the stadium. First half i was up on level 6 and second half i was in the lower bowl on the goal line.

Level 6 at Suncorp is about the same height as Level 4 at ANZ with the exception of being about 5 meters closer to the action at Suncorp so i thought the seats I had were marginally better then what you get at ANZ on level 4. Level 6 at ANZ however are absolute garbage when compared to Level 6 at Suncorp.

Behind the Goal Line
Suncorp is a mile in front of ANZ when comparing seats behind the goal line. There isn't even a comparison here, Suncorp is far better behind the dead ball line.

Lower Bowl Side on
I would say the lower bowl seats at Suncorp are probably only marginally getter then lower bowl at ANZ stadium and that's only because they're a bit steeper. I don't think they're that much better then they are at ANZ.

I was actually very surprised as to how many Souths supporters were there. When the Broncos play in Sydney you'd be lucky to get over 500 Broncos supporters at ANZ and I was expecting far less Souths supporters then there really was. I'd say there would have been a good 4000-5000 Souths supporters out of the 45,000 that turned up.

The Atmosphere
All and all I thought the atmosphere was a bit flat on the night. Even right in the end there the announcer was trying to get the broncos crowd right into it & it just wasn't working. I thought that the Bulldogs supporters made far more noise then the Broncos supporters did against Souths. Even the atmosphere at the SCG was better when Souths played the Dragons and there was about 1/2 the people there. So i think 45,000 at Suncorp is no different to 45,000 at ANZ, when the crowd is into it its about the same. 82,000 at ANZ packed to capacity is far louder then anything i heard last friday night.

Conclusion
In conclusion I would say that the whole footy experience in Brisbane is just better then it is in Sydney. Some things are only marginally better some are far better but overall from getting to the footy, to the kickoff build up, stadium experience and getting out of the ground and getting home Suncorp is better then ANZ in every category. As a Broncos supporter you get a lot more for your $$$ going to the footy in Brisbane then you do as a Souths/Tigers/Dogs or any other supporter in Sydney.

A special thanks to SLRCRONCOS for helping me organise my tickets to last fridays game.

firechild

First Grade

Same as the Roosters.

Manly were one of the few clubs to turn a profit in 2013. They have a successful team that has maintained some level of success not only for the last 9 years but for the vast majority of the last 50 years (NE and post-NE years being the exception). There is absolutely no reason for them not to be in the comp. It's not Manly's fault that the Broncos get gifted every benefit possible (no real local rivals to speak of, almost all games on FTA, blind eyes turned to dodgy deals, etc) yet they can't put together a competitive team. In contrast Manly get no benefits combined with a small catchment with respect to population yet manage to not just stay competitive but have recent records that are the envy of most rivals.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
You're welcome Guyver - glad you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately it was a pretty flat atmosphere, usually Broncos crowds need to be stirred up before they get loud. The boos at the end etc.. Too late.

Next time you come here, attend an origin match, the fact that you thought the city had a buzz for the broncos game, you should see it come origin week. And the atmosphere is unbelievable.

The only ANZ game that has come close to an Suncorp origin atmosphere for me was the 2005 grand final. Im sure game three last year did too.

Problem with the broncos is that we all like the broncos and enjoy them.. But they come a dramatic second fiddle to the Maroons.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Forgot to mention, last night I was at the Roar semi 28k and after the goal was louder than anything last friday night. We are just mutes haha.

Card Shark

Immortal
Manly's years of incredible form has been wasted on a club like that. Imagine the numbers a Parra or Souths would be delivering if we won as much as them.

Do you truly believe the stuff you write because most of it is absolute trash, like this!

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So?

Manly are a gun club. They have crappy crowds. Do you really think they care? A club has one KPI. Winning. Manly blow everyone else out of the water in this regard. I can tell you that they would spend about 10 seconds worrying about not having this mythical 20k average everyone is aspiring to.

This is the problem; you dont care about crowds, but you are in the minority.....

If you want to watch a team in games, go down to the local comp. the NRL is about the over all event as much as it is the action on field.

juro

Bench
After 1 round:
- Total attendance = 126,590, worst since 2003 (7 games)
- Average attendance = 15,824, worst since 1998
- 63% of best average attendance (2011 = 25,039)

After 2 rounds:
- Total attendance = 264,395, worst since 2004 (14 games)
- Average attendance = 16,525, worst since 2003
- 82% of best average attendance (2006 = 20,220)

After 3 rounds:
- Total attendance = 393.408, worst since 2005 (21 games)
- Average attendance = 16,392, worst since 2003
- 84% of best average attendance (2006 = 19,482)

After 4 rounds:
- Total attendance = 511,520, worst since 2005 (28 games)
- Average attendance = 15,985, worst since 2003
- 85% of best average attendance (2006 = 18,782)

After 5 rounds:
- Total attendance = 638,885, worst since 2006 (35 games)
- Average attendance = 15,972, worst since 2004
- 86% of best average attendance (2007 = 18,513)

After 6 rounds:
- Total attendance = 746,706, worst since 2006 (42 games)
- Average attendance = 15,556, worst since 2003
- 85% of best average attendance (2013 = 18,389)

After 7 rounds:
- Total attendance = 916,114, worst since 2006 (49 games)
- Average attendance = 16,359, worst since 2004
- 89% of best average attendance (2008 = 18,446)

After 8 rounds:
- Total attendance = 1,087,722, worst since 2008 (59 games)
- Average attendance = 16,996, worst since 2004
- 93% of best average attendance (2013 = 18,268)

We are now down 81k (7%) on last year, and down 51k (5%) on 2012, our biggest season ever. 2 weeks ago we were down 136k and 89k respectively.

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
This is the problem; you dont care about crowds, but you are in the minority.....

If you want to watch a team in games, go down to the local comp. the NRL is about the over all event as much as it is the action on field.

He's not in the minority though, and this is the problem. We all care about crowds in here because we are the hardcore fanbase who do turn up to games.

The average NRL fan (majority) don't give two stuffs about the crowds, and will happily watch the game from the comfort of their own homes. Hell I didn't even notice crowd figures until I started posting in here.

firechild

First Grade
the NRL is about the over all event as much as it is the action on field.

If this was even remotely true, why would the vast majority be watching from the comfort of their own loungeroom rather than being at the event?

newman

First Grade
Manly were one of the few clubs to turn a profit in 2013. They have a successful team that has maintained some level of success not only for the last 9 years but for the vast majority of the last 50 years (NE and post-NE years being the exception). There is absolutely no reason for them not to be in the comp. It's not Manly's fault that the Broncos get gifted every benefit possible (no real local rivals to speak of, almost all games on FTA, blind eyes turned to dodgy deals, etc) yet they can't put together a competitive team. In contrast Manly get no benefits combined with a small catchment with respect to population yet manage to not just stay competitive but have recent records that are the envy of most rivals.

But but but they only get 13k to games and Brookvale looks bad on TV! And they are keeping out the Timbuktu Toadfish and are thus holding the game back!
Down with the Seagulls and up with the Toadfish!
TOADFISH FOREVER!

Status
Not open for further replies.