What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
free tickets would look embarrasing. And if every ticket is sold for $20 on average, that equates to $60 million a year which is a substantial sum.

Just make tickets cheap, price them at $19 + bf for GA $30-35 for silver and whatever you want for gold/corporate.

You can get away with free ticket deals, as long as its towards a targeted audience. Free tickets to the Make A Wish foundation, war vets get in free, RL juniors if they show with a CRL card...

Literally anything like this will go down well as a PR thing, as long as its not just open slather for anyone with a wallet...

In terms of ticket prices (particularly for ANZ games were there are 50,000 empty seats), i say leave prices as they are for adults but make kids, under-16 tickets almost free (like $5 a head).

Each adult can pay for themselves, but kids tickets can add up quickly, so deal with that; this would encourage families to get to games and it would be an investment in the next generation...

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The superleague war, how old are you, 100.
That was 20 years ago nearly, time to move on dont you think.

The AFL is growing huge numbers to city derbies, but our code cant even put a second team into our heartland.
How your head Dave, those boys over at afl footy giving you a good kicking.

You know your fighting them with the wrong ammo.
Stop useing crowds, use our record crowds and TV audiences.
They fiddle their crowds, i counted two men without a dog at Suns Giants kissfeast.

Brisbane TV figures are low on weekends because everyone leaves for the coasts, Byron Goldie and Sunshine.
Only use state figures.

We are a full funding cycle behind them in terms of the level of funding both codes now enjoy, they had much more money in the pot to parachute in new teams even in pretty disadvantaged markets for them. Meanwhile we were ran on the smell of an oily rag for 15 years. Also the AFL manage excellent crowds in their heartlands but I would hardly call their "derby" crowds in NSW and QLD inspiring and these are the crowds which are a true barometer of the popularity of that sport in Sydney and Brisbane.

seanoff

Juniors
I don't care about crowds because they are not important. When the ARLC sold the rights of the game to the TV networks for the deal they did it told everyone that they care about TV first and everything else, including crowds, a distant second.

Its hard to find concrete numbers outside that SMH article. So i will use collingwood as an example.

Their membership income last yr was close to $17M. Further gate receipts about another $3.5 or so. So $20M from people who pay to turn up to games. (They dont all turn up all the time, but they pay to)

If they didnt care about crowds they put $20m in danger.

Obviously no NRL club has that level of membership/crowds/etc but even 10000 members is going to be $3M+. Its a sum not to be sneezed at. 15000 members with seats is more than half the salary cap. If you get some others at home games its more money.

If you get $7M from members and gate reciepts, it makes it easier. Souths might be covering their salary cap with memberships and gate receipts. Better to do that than give up that money. You are not going to get it back. The NRL are not going to cover that sum.

Crowds matter. Massive source of income. Thats why the nrl want to grow the crowds, much more revenue for the clubs.

Son of Minto

Bench
stop
useing crowds :sarcasm:
:lol:

how old are you ?:sarcasm:

you ignorant little C head
& a spineless welcher as well
your daddy didn't raise you very well did he , be a man for once in your life & leave this forum like you agreed you would

ah whats the point
you're a Qlder
so as gutless as they come :roll:

back to the factually incorrect post of yours
the BWONCOS aren't to blame
wrong ..........again..... welcher;-)
they absolutely are
you appear to know nothing about RL ... THIS.. is clear

Hey Dave remember when you got laughed off Sportal forums? Lol youre a mong.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Hey Dave remember when you got laughed off Sportal forums? Lol youre a mong.

:sarcasm:
ahhh
no I don't remember that because... that didn't happen;-)

which dribbler were you again
Its funny how you still remember me as I'm just unfortgettable :cool:

& I have no idea which of the mundane.. boring ..dime a dozen little bitches I made cry .. you were ?:lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
How much revenue does the NRL make from tickets anyway? Maybe they should just let everybody in for free to grow the crowds and get revenue other ways?

A well supported club can generate over $10mill a year in memberships, way more than the TV deal is paying them. It is silly to say crowds don't matter.

Ideally we will see a standard membership and at the gate price for clubs in years to come, first step has to be jnr admission for just a couple of dollars to any game.

This weekend was a classic example of all that is good and all that is bad in the NRL re crowds at the moment. The blockbuster events in modern stadia with big clubs can draw 30k plus but the run of the mill small clubs in shty grounds draw sub 15k. Still a decade or two to go until small clubs are rationalised, grounds are centralised into modern stadia, big city clubs are admitted and the NRL sees 20k as a disappointing avg crowd.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
stop
useing crowds :sarcasm:
:

how old are you ?

you ignorant little C head
& a spineless welcher as well
your daddy didn't raise you very well did he , be a man for once in your life & leave this forum like you agreed you would

ah whats the point
you're a Qlder
so as gutless as they come

back to the factually incorrect post of yours
the BWONCOS aren't to blame
wrong ..........again..... welcher;-)
they absolutely are
you appear to know nothing about RL ... THIS.. is clear

Know more than you wittle cry baby.
You cant fight ya way out of a wet paper bag on the afl footy site.
What would you expect from a welshman.
Suck it up sister. Get ready for the mother of all reports.
Ricky's raiders are toast.
Milf and Papa to the Broncos in front of 40 thousand each week. !!!
:alcho:

oikee

Juniors
We are a full funding cycle behind them in terms of the level of funding both codes now enjoy, they had much more money in the pot to parachute in new teams even in pretty disadvantaged markets for them. Meanwhile we were ran on the smell of an oily rag for 15 years. Also the AFL manage excellent crowds in their heartlands but I would hardly call their "derby" crowds in NSW and QLD inspiring and these are the crowds which are a true barometer of the popularity of that sport in Sydney and Brisbane.

Yes i agree with all you have said. But the simple fact remains, the AFL have huge derbies in their heartland cities, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.
The NRL does not, and leaving Brisbane out in the cold has done our code little favours.
Brisbane as it has grown Origin into a huge Australian contest and rivalry, can also add enormous figures to the crowd numbers and viewers if they had another two teams.

Having 6 teams in Queensland, 3 in Brisbane, opens up around a extra dozen derbies or more for Queensland teams.
And that is how you can grow the game. It would hardly cost the game much as well, your growing teams in your heartland where companies are screaming out for a team to support.
Queensland rail (Aurizon) one of the states biggest investors cant even get a look-in at the moment. Investors are lined up waiting for the NRL to act.
These teams have virtual crowds ready to just step in, bigger than the Raiders, 30 thousand support some of these expansion teams.
Its a no-brainer.
Gallop held the game back, superleague is dead along with the raiders.
Pink is the new green. Raider would look "Pretty in pink".

Perth Red

Post Whore
Realistically you could bring in Perth, Wellington and another Brisbane side and all three would likely increase the crowd avg and draw bigger crowds than half the current clubs. It's a shame current clubs aren't doing better as I think their poor performance will delay expansion for another ten years.

Card Shark

Immortal
Of course crowds are important but they are a distant 2nd to the TV deal.

I'd suggest memberships are equally important as crowds, although obviously they are linked , to get $ through guaranteed ticket sales + people connecting with the club & buying merchandise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course crowds are important but they are a distant 2nd to the TV deal.

I'd suggest memberships are equally important as crowds, although obviously they are linked , to get $ through guaranteed ticket sales + people connecting with the club & buying merchandise.

Not for clubs who get their sht together and generate big crowds/memberships. For those clubs they can be far more valuable than the TV deal. For the NRL the TV deal matters most.

ek999

First Grade
Realistically you could bring in Perth, Wellington and another Brisbane side and all three would likely increase the crowd avg and draw bigger crowds than half the current clubs. It's a shame current clubs aren't doing better as I think their poor performance will delay expansion for another ten years.

They would initially be able to draw higher crowds, but would they be able to keep them. Look at how the Gold Coast has gone - averaged nearly 22k in 2008 but have dropped down to averaging only 14.5k last year

Dogs Of War

Coach
They would initially be able to draw higher crowds, but would they be able to keep them. Look at how the Gold Coast has gone - averaged nearly 22k in 2008 but have dropped down to averaging only 14.5k last year

Gold Coast is probably not a good example though given how all sporting franchises in the area do. But it does show that you need to keep your supporter base engaged, and have a strong front office if you want to keep people coming to the games.

juro

Bench
We have already had 4 crowds of 40k+ this season. This is the tally for recent years (excluding finals and double-headers):

2013: 5
2012: 4
2011: 3
2010: 3
2009: 4
2008: 1
2007: 4
2006: 3
2005: 2
2004: 1
2003: 1
2002: 0
2001: 0
2000: 0
1999: 1
1998: 0
1997: 1 (ARL + SL combined)
1996: 0
1995: 3
1994: 3
1993: 6

You'd be going all the way back to the 70's and beyond to find earlier cases.

Can we get past 6 this year? Surely, the answer is yes. This is one thing the NRL has done well, in building up its blockbuster games. The vast majority of the big crowds above used to be in Brisbane. Now we are seeing more and more in Sydney too.

t-ba

Post Whore

And on what basis do you make this claim other than hope and conjecture PR?

The Cowboys and the Titans draw less than the average and do terrible things to other clubs home averages and the Warriors drew terribly for a while after the initial interest in the club before drawing well consistently in recent years. It's taken the Storm 15 years to become a consistent well drawing side and that is with a decade of consistent success.

And that's not even considering the clusterf**ks that were the Reds and the Crushers. Which, you know, were actually based in Perth and Brisbane. But that's probably not fair due to Super League.

Realistically, we don't know what they'll do to averages.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
We have already had 4 crowds of 40k+ this season. This is the tally for recent years (excluding finals and double-headers):

2013: 5
2012: 4
2011: 3
2010: 3
2009: 4
2008: 1
2007: 4
2006: 3
2005: 2
2004: 1
2003: 1
2002: 0
2001: 0
2000: 0
1999: 1
1998: 0
1997: 1 (ARL + SL combined)
1996: 0
1995: 3
1994: 3
1993: 6

You'd be going all the way back to the 70's and beyond to find earlier cases.

Can we get past 6 this year? Surely, the answer is yes. This is one thing the NRL has done well, in building up its blockbuster games. The vast majority of the big crowds above used to be in Brisbane. Now we are seeing more and more in Sydney too.

Seem to have a few more coming.

Broncos might reach 40 for the Storm, Bulldogs and Dragons... Maybe v the titans, but most probably 32-26k. Potentially the Saturday night Warriors game could draw well.

Bulldogs vs Dragons Sunday May 11? Would you say that would be 35-40?

ek999

First Grade
Yes. Bulldogs matches against Dragons (11), Parra (14), Tigers (19) are all a real shot at being 40k plus as they are being played on a Sunday arvo.

Could see even more as we have to play Tigers and Parra again along with Souths in the last 6 rounds at ANZ. Although there is a good chance all three of those will be Friday games

newman

First Grade
And on what basis do you make this claim other than hope and conjecture PR?

The Cowboys and the Titans draw less than the average and do terrible things to other clubs home averages and the Warriors drew terribly for a while after the initial interest in the club before drawing well consistently in recent years. It's taken the Storm 15 years to become a consistent well drawing side and that is with a decade of consistent success.

And that's not even considering the clusterf**ks that were the Reds and the Crushers. Which, you know, were actually based in Perth and Brisbane. But that's probably not fair due to Super League.

Realistically, we don't know what they'll do to averages.

Thank you ballboys, thank you linesmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.