What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

newman

First Grade
This is the problem; you dont care about crowds, but you are in the minority.....

If you want to watch a team in games, go down to the local comp. the NRL is about the over all event as much as it is the action on field.

I don't care about crowds because they are not important. When the ARLC sold the rights of the game to the TV networks for the deal they did it told everyone that they care about TV first and everything else, including crowds, a distant second.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don't care about crowds because they are not important. When the ARLC sold the rights of the game to the TV networks for the deal they did it told everyone that they care about TV first and everything else, including crowds, a distant second.

?Por que no los dos? just because its on TV doesnt mean they dont care about getting people to the game.

Do you honestly think State Of Origin would be anywhere near as popular if it was played in an empty stadium?!?

If this was even remotely true, why would the vast majority be watching from the comfort of their own loungeroom rather than being at the event?

This is the entire problem!!!!

The game day is MEANT to be an event; thats the entire point of going to the game.

You cant say the view is better from the stand than it is on TV. So the drawcard has to be something else.

Its the ATMOSPHERE!!! That feeling you get when youre in a crowd of 80,000 screaming bloody murder. If youve ever been to a College game in America youll understand; the game is only one aspect of the entire specticle and that experience is something you cannot get through a TV.

THAT is why crowds are important.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Im certain the Manwhee players care about crowds,pretty sure they don't wanna train all week and than play in front of a measly 8k people

newman

First Grade
?Por que no los dos? just because its on TV doesnt mean they dont care about getting people to the game.

Do you honestly think State Of Origin would be anywhere near as popular if it was played in an empty stadium?!?

This is the entire problem!!!!

The game day is MEANT to be an event; thats the entire point of going to the game.

You cant say the view is better from the stand than it is on TV. So the drawcard has to be something else.

Its the ATMOSPHERE!!! That feeling you get when youre in a crowd of 80,000 screaming bloody murder. If youve ever been to a College game in America youll understand; the game is only one aspect of the entire specticle and that experience is something you cannot get through a TV.

THAT is why crowds are important.

I have a question for you. On a scale of 1-10; how stressed do you think Smith and they boys down at the ARLC hq about the crowds situation? 1 being bob Marley after 10 spliffs and 10 being "ASADA blackest day in sport" when there was talk of the whole comp being suspended.

hutch

First Grade
The nrl is the biggest drawing domestic rugby comp on earth. We should be proud of that! We also should be aiming to grow them. Anybody who doesn't see the need for this is clueless.

oikee

Juniors
Manly were one of the few clubs to turn a profit in 2013. They have a successful team that has maintained some level of success not only for the last 9 years but for the vast majority of the last 50 years (NE and post-NE years being the exception). There is absolutely no reason for them not to be in the comp. It's not Manly's fault that the Broncos get gifted every benefit possible (no real local rivals to speak of, almost all games on FTA, blind eyes turned to dodgy deals, etc) yet they can't put together a competitive team. In contrast Manly get no benefits combined with a small catchment with respect to population yet manage to not just stay competitive but have recent records that are the envy of most rivals.

And that is the problem. Manly have been at the top for way too long. If i was the NRL, i would make sure i did everything possible to strengthen other teams so they can share the finals throughout the game, without Manly hogging the limelight and basically ghetting nowhere.
Manly having sat at the top for so long, and only just pulling a slight profit.
What happens when they hit rock bottom like the Broncos have since Lockyers retirement.

???
Manly is a old ageing pack. Once Lyons and Stewarts(one gone) and Matai and King leave, Manly will just become cannon fodder for teams ready to punch them a new one.

Once that happens what then. ???There crowds are 9 thousand now, not long ago they said they need 16 to break even.

The Broncos on the other hand are listed on the stock exchange and are looking at a huge year, win or lose.
Once Dave Smith sorts out this rewarding teams that grow the game, the Broncos will be rewarded, with 5-7 superstars like manly and Roosters have got now.
When that happens dont let me hear you whinge.
The Broncos have had a reserve grade side now for 4 years.

oikee

Juniors
You're welcome Guyver - glad you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately it was a pretty flat atmosphere, usually Broncos crowds need to be stirred up before they get loud. The boos at the end etc.. Too late.

Next time you come here, attend an origin match, the fact that you thought the city had a buzz for the broncos game, you should see it come origin week. And the atmosphere is unbelievable.

The only ANZ game that has come close to an Suncorp origin atmosphere for me was the 2005 grand final. Im sure game three last year did too.

Problem with the broncos is that we all like the broncos and enjoy them.. But they come a dramatic second fiddle to the Maroons.

I have done a study into why the atmosphere at Broncos games are flat and have mostly always been flat.
It is because the lack of derbies.
You cant compare Sydney to Brisbane, Sydney has about 100 derbies for city teams, Brisbane has none, only the Cows from the far north to light our fire.
Its always been this way.
Brisbane needs two new teams. Do that and they will unleash a city that has been null and void of any derby experience.

Every huge city in the world has derbies, except Brisbane, our heartland,.

Brisbane is a city waiting for the NRL to allow it to explode, cant blame Brisbane for the lack of foresight from the powers to be.

Raiderdave

First Grade
, cant blame Brisbane for the lack of foresight from the powers to be.

know something before posting welcher

the Broncos can & should be blamed for there being no opposition in Brisbane as they insisted apon it as part of the peace deal during the Super League War
The agreement between the ARL & News Ltd had a clause essentially ending the Crushers & no other teams to be started up in Brisbane for 10 years.
Typical ignorance from dopey Broncos supporters to think they aren't to blame for this :roll:

oh & by the way
F off outta here you filthy bet welcher [-([-([-(

firechild

First Grade
And that is the problem. Manly have been at the top for way too long. If i was the NRL, i would make sure i did everything possible to strengthen other teams so they can share the finals throughout the game, without Manly hogging the limelight and basically ghetting nowhere.
Manly having sat at the top for so long, and only just pulling a slight profit.
What happens when they hit rock bottom like the Broncos have since Lockyers retirement.

???
Manly is a old ageing pack. Once Lyons and Stewarts(one gone) and Matai and King leave, Manly will just become cannon fodder for teams ready to punch them a new one.

Once that happens what then. ???There crowds are 9 thousand now, not long ago they said they need 16 to break even.

The Broncos on the other hand are listed on the stock exchange and are looking at a huge year, win or lose.
Once Dave Smith sorts out this rewarding teams that grow the game, the Broncos will be rewarded, with 5-7 superstars like manly and Roosters have got now.
When that happens dont let me hear you whinge.
The Broncos have had a reserve grade side now for 4 years.

I'm glad we've established that you know nothing about anything.

It's laughable that you think King's retirement will do anything, he's barely played a game in over a year. Matai will be replaced by Hiku, Brett Stewart by Gutherson, Glenn Stewart by Buhrer, King by Trbojevic and Manly have shown that they can continually oncover new talent because they don't rely on one player like a Lockyer or Johns. With the best halves pairing in the game still in their early 20s, there'll be plenty more success on the Northern Beaches.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I have a question for you. On a scale of 1-10; how stressed do you think Smith and they boys down at the ARLC hq about the crowds situation? 1 being bob Marley after 10 spliffs and 10 being "ASADA blackest day in sport" when there was talk of the whole comp being suspended.

Its not going to kill the game, if teams like the Sharks/Panthers/Tigers continue to get shitty crowds...

But they obviously do care, theyre putting a lot of effort into these membership drives and scheduling at least a few high drawing regular season games (Easter, ANZAC, ec.)

You said the TV deal was proof they dont care; id say its proof the game was nearly broke. They went with that deal because that offered the greatest long term benefit (investable money and ending F&L rights).

If the next deal is as bad as this was in terms of time slots (Thursday, Friday, Monday slots), then you will be right in saying the ARLC dont care about crowds, but this deal didnt signify that...

oikee

Juniors
I'm glad we've established that you know nothing about anything.

It's laughable that you think King's retirement will do anything, he's barely played a game in over a year. Matai will be replaced by Hiku, Brett Stewart by Gutherson, Glenn Stewart by Buhrer, King by Trbojevic and Manly have shown that they can continually oncover new talent because they don't rely on one player like a Lockyer or Johns. With the best halves pairing in the game still in their early 20s, there'll be plenty more success on the Northern Beaches.

Uncover new talent. ??? who, you have had the same old dinosaurs for 15 years.

Manly are the only team in the comp who have not been stripped of players. Brisbane is basically a new team from 5 years ago.

They stripped the Storm because they won too many premierships and Sydney hated that. despised Melbourne winning ways.
Yet Manly has sat at the top for 10 years like a ageing fart.
Manly sends all their reject fringe players to other sucker teams.

newman

First Grade
Uncover new talent. ??? who, you have had the same old dinosaurs for 15 years.

Manly are the only team in the comp who have not been stripped of players. Brisbane is basically a new team from 5 years ago.

They stripped the Storm because they won too many premierships and Sydney hated that. despised Melbourne winning ways.
Yet Manly has sat at the top for 10 years like a ageing fart.
Manly sends all their reject fringe players to other sucker teams.

Being a sharks supporter I think it's laughable, LAUGHABLE that you think that Brisbane have hit "rock bottom" and that the broncos are somehow disadvantaged by the NRL.

Now where's that report you keep prattling on about?

oikee

Juniors
know something before posting welcher

the Broncos can & should be blamed for there being no opposition in Brisbane as they insisted apon it as part of the peace deal during the Super League War
The agreement between the ARL & News Ltd had a clause essentially ending the Crushers & no other teams to be started up in Brisbane for 10 years.
Typical ignorance from dopey Broncos supporters to think they aren't to blame for this :roll:

oh & by the way
F off outta here you filthy bet welcher [-([-([-(

The superleague war, how old are you, 100.
That was 20 years ago nearly, time to move on dont you think.

The AFL is growing huge numbers to city derbies, but our code cant even put a second team into our heartland.
How your head Dave, those boys over at afl footy giving you a good kicking.

You know your fighting them with the wrong ammo.
Stop useing crowds, use our record crowds and TV audiences.
They fiddle their crowds, i counted two men without a dog at Suns Giants kissfeast.

Brisbane TV figures are low on weekends because everyone leaves for the coasts, Byron Goldie and Sunshine.
Only use state figures.

oikee

Juniors
Being a sharks supporter I think it's laughable, LAUGHABLE that you think that Brisbane have hit "rock bottom" and that the broncos are somehow disadvantaged by the NRL.

Now where's that report you keep prattling on about?

I love the Sharks, but between you and me, they will never win a grand final.
Lets just get that out of the way.
I would love the Sharks even more if they relocated to Brisbane,. :)

ram raid

Bench
How much revenue does the NRL make from tickets anyway? Maybe they should just let everybody in for free to grow the crowds and get revenue other ways?

Dogs Of War

Coach
I can't believe you all get suckered in by oikee. He's being performing the same act for years now, and I'm sure he finds the fishing good.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The superleague war, how old are you, 100.
That was 20 years ago nearly, time to move on dont you think.

The AFL is growing huge numbers to city derbies, but our code cant even put a second team into our heartland.
How your head Dave, those boys over at afl footy giving you a good kicking.

You know your fighting them with the wrong ammo.
Stop useing crowds, use our record crowds and TV audiences.
They fiddle their crowds, i counted two men without a dog at Suns Giants kissfeast.

Brisbane TV figures are low on weekends because everyone leaves for the coasts, Byron Goldie and Sunshine.
Only use state figures.

stop
useing crowds :sarcasm:
:lol:

how old are you ?:sarcasm:

you ignorant little C head
& a spineless welcher as well
your daddy didn't raise you very well did he , be a man for once in your life & leave this forum like you agreed you would

ah whats the point
you're a Qlder
so as gutless as they come :roll:

back to the factually incorrect post of yours
the BWONCOS aren't to blame
wrong ..........again..... welcher;-)
they absolutely are
you appear to know nothing about RL ... THIS.. is clear

pHyR3

Juniors
How much revenue does the NRL make from tickets anyway? Maybe they should just let everybody in for free to grow the crowds and get revenue other ways?

free tickets would look embarrasing. And if every ticket is sold for $20 on average, that equates to $60 million a year which is a substantial sum.

Just make tickets cheap, price them at $19 + bf for GA $30-35 for silver and whatever you want for gold/corporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.