What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

undertaker

Coach
We have already had 4 crowds of 40k+ this season. This is the tally for recent years (excluding finals and double-headers):

2013: 5
2012: 4
2011: 3
2010: 3
2009: 4
2008: 1
2007: 4
2006: 3
2005: 2
2004: 1
2003: 1
2002: 0
2001: 0
2000: 0
1999: 1
1998: 0
1997: 1 (ARL + SL combined)
1996: 0
1995: 3
1994: 3
1993: 6

You'd be going all the way back to the 70's and beyond to find earlier cases.

Can we get past 6 this year? Surely, the answer is yes. This is one thing the NRL has done well, in building up its blockbuster games. The vast majority of the big crowds above used to be in Brisbane. Now we are seeing more and more in Sydney too.

Over the last few years, the number of games in Sydney with 30k+ crowds has also increased as well. Already 3 so far this year. This is something that can be improved with Sydney teams playing at suburban grounds taking their marquee home games to either ANZ Stadium or Allianz.

Yes. Bulldogs matches against Dragons (11), Parra (14), Tigers (19) are all a real shot at being 40k plus as they are being played on a Sunday arvo.

Could see even more as we have to play Tigers and Parra again along with Souths in the last 6 rounds at ANZ. Although there is a good chance all three of those will be Friday games

The game vs Eels definitely won't get 40k+ as that is during the Origin round. Poor scheduling. Dunno what the NRL was thinking placing a marquee Sydney matchup like that during Origin.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The Dragons V Bulldogs match will not get near 40K. For some stupid reason it is not included as part of the Bulldogs membership.

20-25K max unfortunately.

Valheru

Coach
And on what basis do you make this claim other than hope and conjecture PR?
The Cowboys and the Titans draw less than the average and do terrible things to other clubs home averages and the Warriors drew terribly for a while after the initial interest in the club before drawing well consistently in recent years.

Sensational point

Perth entering the comp would mean at least 5 more low drawing games in Sydney.

Yes. Bulldogs matches against Dragons (11), Parra (14), Tigers (19) are all a real shot at being 40k plus as they are being played on a Sunday arvo.
Could see even more as we have to play Tigers and Parra again along with Souths in the last 6 rounds at ANZ. Although there is a good chance all three of those will be Friday games

Sadly I don’t think any of these will get to 40k or anywhere near it. The bubble has well and truly burst for the dragons and I can’t see that changing. I think the same will be said of Parra and Tigers in the coming weeks.

Springs

First Grade
Seem to have a few more coming.

Broncos might reach 40 for the Storm, Bulldogs and Dragons... Maybe v the titans, but most probably 32-26k. Potentially the Saturday night Warriors game could draw well.

Bulldogs vs Dragons Sunday May 11? Would you say that would be 35-40?

Really? Their two biggest days of the year (v Cowboys and ANZAC Day) only got 42 and 44k. If those games didn't get near 50,000 then I don't see them breaking 40,000 again unless for a home final.

The big crowd chances are games between Bulldogs, Eels, Tigers and Souths if they all keep doing well. All 4 in the top 8 come post-Origin will see some big crowds when they play each other.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Really? Their two biggest days of the year (v Cowboys and ANZAC Day) only got 42 and 44k. If those games didn't get near 50,000 then I don't see them breaking 40,000 again unless for a home final.

The big crowd chances are games between Bulldogs, Eels, Tigers and Souths if they all keep doing well. All 4 in the top 8 come post-Origin will see some big crowds when they play each other.

Hense why i said might. We had a good crowd v the usual low drawing parra.

If we start winning these close games the bandwagoners will come.

RedVee

First Grade
Its hard to find concrete numbers outside that SMH article. So i will use collingwood as an example.

Their membership income last yr was close to $17M. Further gate receipts about another $3.5 or so. So $20M from people who pay to turn up to games. (They dont all turn up all the time, but they pay to)

If they didnt care about crowds they put $20m in danger.

Obviously no NRL club has that level of membership/crowds/etc but even 10000 members is going to be $3M+. Its a sum not to be sneezed at. 15000 members with seats is more than half the salary cap. If you get some others at home games its more money.

If you get $7M from members and gate reciepts, it makes it easier. Souths might be covering their salary cap with memberships and gate receipts. Better to do that than give up that money. You are not going to get it back. The NRL are not going to cover that sum.

Crowds matter. Massive source of income. Thats why the nrl want to grow the crowds, much more revenue for the clubs.
The NRL already cover the Salary Cap for each club with the annual grant.

Rocco

Juniors
But... but Rothfield sys that WSW are the biggest team in west Sydney.

I dont understand the great fascination of those wankers.

They cant pull over 15k to the stadium.

The giants are a joke but they are a much bigger club than the wankers

Burns

First Grade
I saw that there has been $12.50 tickets to sit in a NZ Supporter Bay got the test match on Friday. I can't direct link due to mobile, but I'm going to assume that ticket sales must be pretty slow.

Rocco

Juniors
Why have the game at the SFS in the first place? The game was never going to get good ticket sales either way.

BlueandGold

Juniors
I dont understand the great fascination of those wankers.

They cant pull over 15k to the stadium.

The Giants a much bigger club then the WSW........................dude get of the crack pipe please.........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

seanoff

Juniors
The NRL already cover the Salary Cap for each club with the annual grant.

that's nice. but who pays the coaches, fitness staff, medical staff, medical bills, rent, electricity, staff wages, uniforms, transport, gym equipment, rehab, physios, trainers, corporate entertainment, etc etc etc etc etc.

in 2009 the Broncos had football related expenses of $10.8M when the salary cap was $4.1M. so even if those extra costs haven't grown, a cap of $6.3M is going to kick that to close to 13 this year and my guess would be it will be out around $15 - 17M. There's $8 - 10M in football only expense that the NRL will not cover.

the Broncos had another $13M in expenses on top of the football expenses, in admin, stadium, tickets and marketing.

it would appear to be serious you need to spend double or a bit more of the salary cap on football expenses to be in the hunt. so if a team can earn itself the salary cap through members and game day they will just about cover their football expenses with that and the NRL grant. then you need to find money for the other things above.

collingwood have a similar ratio. they get about 11 from the AFL and spend another 11 on top of that on footy related expenses. they get 16M from members and 4 from match takings.

corp won't cover all of that so members with seats and other bums on seats are vital.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Im guessing you're one of the wankers that follows them judging by your location?

You sound like a AFL fan boy......................Giants bigger club then WSW.......................:lol::lol::lol:

We have a AFL mole guys....;-)

:crazy:

Last edited:

Rocco

Juniors
You sound like a AFL fan boy......................Giants bigger club then WSW.......................:lol::lol::lol:

We have a AFL mole guys....;-);-)

Current active dickhead: blueandgold

Who supports 2 teams from different sports?

Heck, none of the broncos fans I know support the roar nor even the reds.

You can only support 1 team, cant support another team from another sport because your beloved eels have been unsuccessful in the last 28 years.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Current active dickhead: blueandgold

Who supports 2 teams from different sports?

Heck, none of the broncos fans I know support the roar nor even the reds.

You can only support 1 team, cant support another team from another sport because your beloved eels have been unsuccessful in the last 28 years.

Whats funny is people like you who say stupid things like the Giants are a larger club then the WSW and when you get shot down as you deserved you go bat shit crazy......

Let me see now......using Logic something you Closet AFL fans know nothing about.

WSW ave 16k 2014
Your beloved Giants mmmm looking like about 8k in 2014

WSW 16k ticketed members
Giants 6k ticketed members at a guess with about 6k interstate non ticketed members.

WSW 4 million is Sponsors
Giants no idea but would not be even close to that amount.

you have 1 quality that all AFL fans have, delusional as hell.

We have a AFL fan in our midst boys...:lol:;-);-)

Last edited:

Rocco

Juniors
Whats funny is people like you who say stupid things like the Giants are a larger club then the WSW and when you get shot down as you deserved you go bat shit crazy......

Let me see now......using Logic something you Closet AFL fans know nothing about.

WSW ave 16k 2014
Your beloved Giants mmmm looking like about 8k in 2014

WSW 16k ticketed members
Giants 6k ticketed members at a guess with about 6k interstate non ticketed members.

WSW 4 million is Sponsors
Giants no idea but would not be even close to that amount.

Don't forget to take your meds mate i think its time.....:lol:;-);-)

Dickhead I dont support the gay western sydney giants but the fact is they are a much bigger club than your beloved wankers.

But Crowds from both clubs are pathetic and laughable. They'll never reach the levels what other clubs get to their home games

BlueandGold

Juniors
Dickhead I dont support the gay western sydney giants but the fact is they are a much bigger club than your beloved wankers.

But Crowds from both clubs are pathetic and laughable. They'll never reach the levels what other clubs get to their home games

Now using the little logic you have, was i not correct in saying that your statement was downright delusional?

Are you done trying to deflect attention away from yourself by calling me a WSW fan?

Your a funny guy....:lol::lol::lol:

Just on building crowds and memberships, I note in the last Broncos members email I received they have a little graphic indicating how many members attended last match (in this case the Eels) and encouraging anyone who can't go to share their tickets with someone who can.

I think it was in the order of 75-80% of members who attended. Anyone got any idea what the member turnout is for other clubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts