What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Some of you need to get help if going without a drink for one half of footy gives you the shits. And how much do you actually see if you're constantly getting up to get a beer.
I stand by this... beer strength or price is one of THE single most pissweak reasons for not attending.

Agreed. There are genuine issues, and then there are bs issues. Beer is a bs issue.

big hit!

Bench
2805545.jpg

big hit!

Bench
only have to have a look around at the footy for a few minutes to see the shit state of grotesqueness that has become of Australia. 4 out of every 5 is an overweight merkin.

Feel sad for merkins who need a drink to enjoy themselves at the footy.

cleary89

Coach
You guys must be fun at bbq's, sitting around drinking waters.

Not surprisingly, going to the footy is a social event for most people. Again, not surprisingly, most people like to have a drink at a social event.

only have to have a look around at the footy for a few minutes to see the shit state of grotesqueness that has become of Australia. 4 out of every 5 is an overweight merkin.

Feel sad for merkins who need a drink to enjoy themselves at the footy.

You should go to the members for a swans game. Lots of young people having full strength beers (often in a glass too) and enjoying themselves. Mates have picked up there numerous times. Very rarely do you see a woman in their twenties and under 20 stone at an NRL match.

A true heartland would have the top code be the top draw in town but for rugby league it isn't. Instead the swans are the biggest team in town, disgraceful for a league 'heartland' to be shown up by another code. No other code's heartland globally gets upstage like rl gets on the regular in nsw. A true heartland has strong support and attendance with rl it's the opposite.

thorson1987

Coach
A true heartland would have the top code be the top draw in town but for rugby league it isn't. Instead the swans are the biggest team in town, disgraceful for a league 'heartland' to be shown up by another code. No other code's heartland globally gets upstage like rl gets on the regular in nsw. A true heartland has strong support and attendance with rl it's the opposite.

Never mind the fact more people will watch games of rugby league in Sydney over a weekend then any other sport.

But you know, don't let facts get in the way of that chip on your shoulder.

Red Bear

Referee
In America, going to baseball games they certainly to not only serve beer but a wide variety, from you bog standard shit beers like budweiser or coors to locally brewed craft beers etc. At a baseball game where there is far more opportunity to get pissed. At an exaggerated but not outrageous price. There was also several different food options available, sampling local cuisine along with your standard options.

I dont think food and drink should be the deciding factor in whether you go along to a game of footy or not. For me I'm happy with a pie and whatever is on tap. Generally i'll drink and eat before hand. But it can be the push pull factor on top of other reasons that keeps people away.

Sydney sporting venues tend to offer pretty shit options all round. Limited range of drinks and food, heavily marked up on what the actual value of them is.

Now you might not think it is an issue but if it is part of the reason people are staying away from the game then it clearly is an issue that could be addressed. A club that actually tries something different, maybe offers some decent beers or alternative food options to the usual shit, or at least bring prices to a more reasonable level, will probably do well out of it.

Most on here are diehard fans of the game, the game itself is more than enough to get them to attend a match, but any successful code needs to have a much broader audience than that. The more people you expose to the sport through making the gameday experience a good one the more fans are retained and the better the health of the game.

Heritage XIII

Juniors

Since when do we ignore TV ratings? last Night's game got 395,000 in Sydney alone. That would be equal to about 7 Swans games. ANZ is crap, people have spoken, they don't like it and will carefully choose games to go to when they have to travel to that cavern. Scheduling is another issue.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
God I hope the tv Ratings methodology in australia is never de bunked

At least when your crowds are big at the game u can see there are real people

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its not as complicated as you all think, The average rugby league supporter doesnt make much money so with ticket prices, parking and food and drinks going up you can see why less are going, Not to mention the cost of living going up too which would surely have an affect on them as well.

You can buy a season ticket for a team like bulldogs for less than $15 a game, it doesn't have to be too expensive for anyone's take your own food and water, season ticket, pretty cheap night out. It is only expensive if you pay on the gate prices and eat and drink at the ground.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We want to turn our block busters into events, yet we dont allow full strength beer and stop selling it 10 mins into the second half. 4 mates and i actually left a trial game this year when they ran out of beer at half time and went to the pub.

I go to to the game to enjoy the football, I go to the pub to enjoy the beer. I don't expect the pub to put on a live game in the car park for me, I can live with going without a beer for two hours at the game. I don't expect to sit sculling beers at the cinema.

cleary89

Coach
I go to to the game to enjoy the football, I go to the pub to enjoy the beer. I don't expect the pub to put on a live game in the car park for me, I can live with going without a beer for two hours at the game. I don't expect to sit sculling beers at the cinema.

Most decent cinemas these days sell beers...

Not everyone loves football as much as you. My mates go for a few beers before a night out, as a social event.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Then they'd be better off at the pub. After watching drunk fans brawling at the Sth's game last weekend I'd rather see more families feeling safe and filling seats than groups of lads on the beers tbh.

cleary89

Coach
Then they'd be better off at the pub. After watching drunk fans brawling at the Sth's game last weekend I'd rather see more families feeling safe and filling seats than groups of lads on the beers tbh.

Not everyone who enjoys a few beers makes families feel unsafe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not everyone who enjoys a few beers makes families feel unsafe.

True, me included but if your not going to enjoy the footy because you feel the need to drink full strength for 90 mins then there is a good chance you are out to get drunk and even the nicest blokes can do stupid sht when drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts