What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleary89

Coach
It's 7.30 at night. Most people my age I know use it as a place to go for "pre's" before heading out. Watch the footy, have a few beers then head out into the city.

It's one of the reasons ANZ is so shit. Have to spend 45 minutes on a train to get anyway after having a few beers.

Much better night out drinking full strength at the swans then pub crawl around pado rather than trying to get to homebush, drink shitty midstrength then take 45 minutes to get anywhere.

elbusto

Coach
It's 7.30 at night. Most people my age I know use it as a place to go for "pre's" before heading out. Watch the footy, have a few beers then head out into the city.

It's one of the reasons ANZ is so shit. Have to spend 45 minutes on a train to get anyway after having a few beers.

Much better night out drinking full strength at the swans then pub crawl around pado rather than trying to get to homebush, drink shitty midstrength then take 45 minutes to get anywhere.

Agreed. I went and watched Origin last year - spent $9 on half strength bourbon - spent an hour returning to the city just to have a few beers with some oomph in them. Had a great night but the precinct around ANZ is poor.

Western_Eel

Juniors
You can buy a season ticket for a team like bulldogs for less than $15 a game, it doesn't have to be too expensive for anyone's take your own food and water, season ticket, pretty cheap night out. It is only expensive if you pay on the gate prices and eat and drink at the ground.

Maybe so but your everyday fan isn't going to buy a membership

insert.pause

First Grade
This was a huge game, big rivalry between teams will big fanbases and a finals spot on the line, glad it got 30k but I think it deserved much more hype and advertising should have been aiming for 45k+

Anything less than 30k would have been disappointing, but I agree the ingredients were there for a much bigger crowd, it was a pass.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
In America, going to baseball games they certainly to not only serve beer but a wide variety, from you bog standard shit beers like budweiser or coors to locally brewed craft beers etc. At a baseball game where there is far more opportunity to get pissed. At an exaggerated but not outrageous price. There was also several different food options available, sampling local cuisine along with your standard options.

I dont think food and drink should be the deciding factor in whether you go along to a game of footy or not. For me I'm happy with a pie and whatever is on tap. Generally i'll drink and eat before hand. But it can be the push pull factor on top of other reasons that keeps people away.

Sydney sporting venues tend to offer pretty shit options all round. Limited range of drinks and food, heavily marked up on what the actual value of them is.

Now you might not think it is an issue but if it is part of the reason people are staying away from the game then it clearly is an issue that could be addressed. A club that actually tries something different, maybe offers some decent beers or alternative food options to the usual shit, or at least bring prices to a more reasonable level, will probably do well out of it.

Most on here are diehard fans of the game, the game itself is more than enough to get them to attend a match, but any successful code needs to have a much broader audience than that. The more people you expose to the sport through making the gameday experience a good one the more fans are retained and the better the health of the game.

Would be great to see teams try something different to make going to a game more of an event. I am very much envious of the whole 'tailgating' culture of American Football, would love a team to trial something similar, even if its just a bbq outside the stadium and some entertainment before the game

BunniesMan

Immortal
Solid 30k crowd. I wonder if the 3 Saturday games combined can beat that?

Gunna guess:
Canberra 8k
Melbourne 12k
Wests 9k

ouwet

Bench

Fully agree! If u can get out to the game a little earlier, it's worth getting off at lidcombe have a few then go on ur way to ANZ!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would be great to see teams try something different to make going to a game more of an event. I am very much envious of the whole 'tailgating' culture of American Football, would love a team to trial something similar, even if its just a bbq outside the stadium and some entertainment before the game

Once went to a game in Perpignan, it was awesome they set up a marquee bar and had a big hog roast going, band playing and everyone just having fun one hour before kick off. I guess anz just want you in the ground ASAP so you buy their sht?

30k good crowd for NRL in Sydney, just such a shame it wasn't in a stadium that makes it look impressive. 30k in anz still made the game look like no one in Sydney cares about NRL to any casual viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.