What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Agreed.

But you cant say the weather didn't play a part, probably lost 5k because of it.

The weather was the biggest contributor, but thats the thing...

At suburban grounds, you just have to hope the weather is ok, or the crowd is like this game. Compare that to ANZ (where the effects of rain are minimal) or Dunedin on NZ (where the effects of rain are non-existant) and it becomes impossible to justify suburban grounds.

It is totally valid to say that the weather was the reason the crowd sucked, but thats only because it was played in a stadium with no protection. You cant sit under an open sky and then be shocked when the rain comes...

Apey

Staff member
Pretty hopeless crowd for the Knights, obviously not the best opposition for crowds but after our last few home wins you'd have hoped people would get to the game.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Eels will have like the 3rd or 4th best crowd average this year despite the fact we wont make the top 8 and despite the fact we are coming off 16th,16th and 14th in the past 3 years.

Will never break crowd records with disgusting non Eels fans all over the place.

BunniesMan

Immortal
We could have a situation where 3 of the top 4 teams after 26 rounds are the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lowest crowds averages. That would be quite strange.

Easts, Manly and Penrith are currently 13th, 14th and 15th in crowd average.

Eels will have like the 3rd or 4th best crowd average this year despite the fact we wont make the top 8 and despite the fact we are coming off 16th,16th and 14th in the past 3 years.

Will never break crowd records with disgusting non Eels fans all over the place.

Before this round you were a grand total of 6 behind Newcastle (17742 v 17736). They are below you now. Welcome to 3rd place.

Burns

First Grade
Our crowd was disappointing today considering how we've been travelling the 2nd half of the year. Now that we are at 6/8, have 2 remaining games against the Eels and Dragons, and both played at 3pm Saturday/Sunday, feel we'll get 20,000+ crowds.

POPEYE

Coach
We could have a situation where 3 of the top 4 teams after 26 rounds are the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lowest crowds averages. That would be quite strange.

Easts, Manly and Penrith are currently 13th, 14th and 15th in crowd average.

Before this round you were a grand total of 6 behind Newcastle (17742 v 17736). They are below you now. Welcome to 3rd place.

There are better things to do in Bondi and Manly than go to the footy and Penrith have big screens everywhere in their poker machine palace, better grog and can wear short sleeves to show off the tats

I lived in Parramatta for 9 years and there's sfa else to do but go the footy . . . most of the entertainment is run by expatriate boat people so locals are strangers in paradise

timka4

Bench
Poor crowds from knights and titans.
Was at the titans game today, looked more than 11k. I got my ticket on friday and the pax was 14.4k then, so dunno what happened.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ideal success would be bulldogs, souths, parra and Newcastle all battling for top 4 from a nsw crowd perspective. Success is wasted on manly, roosters and Penrith.

I really thought when news it's were ousted from running the game and we got back to RL running the game we would see a major feel good factor bring fans out to support the game, simply hasn't happened, in fact crowds and TV audiences were down in the first season of arlc ownership and crowds not really getting any better.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The ideal success would be bulldogs, souths, parra and Newcastle all battling for top 4 from a nsw crowd perspective. Success is wasted on manly, roosters and Penrith.

I really thought when news it's were ousted from running the game and we got back to RL running the game we would see a major feel good factor bring fans out to support the game, simply hasn't happened, in fact crowds and TV audiences were down in the first season of arlc ownership and crowds not really getting any better.

the average fan in the street wouldn't even be clued into the details of who is running what.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Personally, i imagine its the anti-authoritarian side of people coming out...

Back what NewsLtd was in control and NRL was on the shitter all we'd hear was that the game was about to die and Union/AFL/Soccer was about to takeover Sydney. It was always down to these small groups of passionate fans to save the day. (Plus, now that the game is rich, everyone would assume they deserve their piece, not realising that even $200mil isnt much when you need to spread it over so many areas)

Now, the ARLC is professionally run and i think people feel like theyre losing their control over their little piece of the game; (Junior League admin used to bitch that they couldnt get funding, now they bitch that the funding comes with strings attached).

The current situation is going to need one of two thing to happen before fans really get on board the ARLC:
- A massive culture shift so fans accept that the bureaucracy is necesary and actually a good thing
- The ARLC media unit need to find an "enemy" for the fans; an Us-vs-Them, Cold War is the best way to stir parochialism for the "Us" side of the equasion...

The sooner manly/roosters decline the better. There time up top at top saw little crowd growth in that time compared to a parra/bulldogs/broncos in the same scenario. A strong Cowboys will boost crowds more ever than manly/rooster will ever do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts