What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFrog

Coach
Rain is easing up at the moment. But it did piss down for a while and the ground will be in poor condition by kick off with the Under 20s before hand. Really expecting an ugly game of footy tonight. I swear we get the worst timed home games. Seem to have shitty weather in a good portion of them. since our last home game we have had some beautiful weekends and now we're back at Centrebet the weather is shit.

It held off throughout the U20's, there was a light shower in the first half and then a somewhat heavier one at half time, then it drizzled for much of the second half.

The ground, like I expected, was in tremendous condition and the handling was excellent too, except both sides, but us in particular, had trouble with high balls in the swirling wind.

Really, 7200 was pretty good considering the Roosters got 1000 less in much better conditions last Monday. The crowd got behind the home team during the tense second half.

TheFrog

Coach
Ridiculous that Penrith have been held back from building crowd momentum by the ludicrous schedule they have this year.

I was talking to the lady in the food canteen at the ground about this. Surely the Panthers agreed to all these shitty timeslot games this season, and especially in the last few rounds, in return for whatever compensation is going. they'd be screaming otherwise, you'd think.

The upside is that we've won all three of our Monday night games at Penrith by scores of 14-12, 35-34 and 23-22.

Valheru

Coach
It’s ridiculous to have a Sydney side versus an out of town side on a Monday night in the middle of winter not to mention the rain. We obviously don’t want Sydney derbies on Monday night’s either so the solution is simple, get rid of Monday night football!!

big hit!

Bench
well, it's all about the TV ratings.

who gives a stuff about how many attend the game. the NRL won't mention it unless a decent crowd rolls up once in a blue moon.

how's this for a strategy - build attendances, make attending the footy a good option, and then build tv ratings on top of that. the NFL and EPL are good case study, but what would those amateur leagues know.

folks reckon News Ltd leaving the game was going to be sunny skies for the sport. all the commission has done since is sold their control to the broadcasters and introduced bodgy rules.

franklin2323

Immortal
I was talking to the lady in the food canteen at the ground about this. Surely the Panthers agreed to all these shitty timeslot games this season, and especially in the last few rounds, in return for whatever compensation is going. they'd be screaming otherwise, you'd think.

The upside is that we've won all three of our Monday night games at Penrith by scores of 14-12, 35-34 and 23-22.

Did you read Big League? They aren't happy

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Problem is when your the 3rd of 4th best team u basically get a lot of Monday games

Nine will always pick broncos 1 and a big Sydney team 2

So fox pick the next best for Monday. Ie - Penrith a lot

NRL needs to change system next year.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The system won't be changed "next year". At best it will be changed for the next tv deal and maybe not even then.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think these crowds are embarrassing for the NRL and they will feel the need to change things asap. Of course TV revenue is vitally important but no code that wants to lay claim to being the biggest in the country is going to happy wth poxy 7k crowds, that is sub Aleague level. They have set a goal of 20k avg and I think this year has been a rude awakening for Smith on just how half arsed RL fans are in this country when it comes to getting off their backsides and going to games. He is used to selling 80k tickets to Twickers regardless of who the English rah rahs are playing. Be interesting to see what radical strategie sthey come up with next year to start getting the crowds rolling in more consistently.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Doubt if the game picking system is locked up that tightly in the rights that it can't be re calibrated

If push comes to shove I'm sure the TV guys have bent the rules anyway

Ie. No hd as promised etc.

As they say at bing Lee. Everything's negotiable

ucantseeme

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/get-ready-for-the-round-of-the-season/tabid/10874/newsid/81152/default.aspx

This could deserve a thread of its own but thought here would do. Written by Andrew Voss:

4) Do the Gold Coast Titans need help?

Yes they do.

And that fact has been expressed recently by many associated with the club. I note that Paul Broughton joined my push for Phil Gould to be pursued to help the club in some capacity.

I'll repeat what I wrote just a few weeks ago: the Titans should chase Gus as their next coach.

But their problems extend further than matters on the field, and that's a huge concern.

I don't live on the Gold Coast so I don't know what the fans are feeling about the club at the coalface. However what I hear via social media and the like isn't all that positive.

And here is some feedback from my brother who made the trip up from just over the border to attend last Sunday's game.

Parking cost $10, before a walk of over a kilometre to the ground. He and his wife paid $37 each to acquire a seat in the shade behind the goalposts. Coffee was $5 for a small cup. A hot dog, drink and chips, which they shared, was another $20.

That's already $114. I don't know what the Gold Coast Suns charge at the AFL, but here's what I do know: league needs to be the better value for the Titans to have any hope of more than just moderate success.
...................................................................................................

I know they Titans have a brand new stadium which needs to be paid for but that is pretty steep. Hope there are no hills between the stadium and car park either.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Problem is when your the 3rd of 4th best team u basically get a lot of Monday games

Nine will always pick broncos 1 and a big Sydney team 2

So fox pick the next best for Monday. Ie - Penrith a lot

NRL needs to change system next year.

They just need a 'home quote' on Monday night football, and a 'Monday night quota'.

Every team should have to host once on a Monday night. Then 10 unlucky teams host a 2nd game, with no team playing more than 4 times on Monday night over the course of the year.

Every big sport makes most of their $$$ from TV, so ratings are really quite important. It then becomes a question of how to get bums on seats for the Monday night games - and perhaps the answer is subsidised tickets, or giveaways or ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts