What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbusto

Coach
Are they really murdering us in the TV ratings? State of Origin tomorrow night will likely be the highest rating TV show of the year.

Yes they are. Check them week by week. Their cumulative ratings between FTA and Foxtel are much higher than ours every week. Sure we win with SOO. But that is about it.

Our TV deal and coverage is killing us.

And their advertising is superior to ours.

Their contra deal is far more effective.

The AFL has a much better and far more comprehensive whole of game strategy around exposure.

Their game is crap but bloody hell they promote it so much better than we do ours.

Flapper

First Grade
There will literally never be a solution to this problem because someone will use their position in the media to bitch and moan about every solution thrown up. So unless 3/4 of the Rugby League media is mysteriously murdered I don't know.

BunniesMan

Immortal
2nd lowest crowd of the season. Lowest Titans crowd in history by over 1500. They never before got less than 8k.

elbusto

Coach
As an example, on Friday night our ratings FTA were 562000 according to my figures, while the AFL had 970000 viewers before regional figures were added to both codes.

The AFL has so many more FTA games yet their foxtel figures are now competitive with ours. We have lost our competitive advantage from two years ago.

They are beautifully positioned for their next deal. We are not. The $s were fantastic for us but the FTA coverage is killing us and we have lost all momentum.

SOO is the only shining light.

elbusto

Coach

Sorry mate but yes they are. Saturday is particularly bad. Our ratings have fallen through the floor. The AFL ratings on Fox are as bad but they also have FTA and they kill us overall every Saturday.

I have a really bad feeling about how big the gap will be at the end of this year.

Happy to be wrong but I cannot see how that will happen.

insert.pause

First Grade
Yes they are. Check them week by week. Their cumulative ratings between FTA and Foxtel are much higher than ours every week. Sure we win with SOO. But that is about it.

Our TV deal and coverage is killing us.

And their advertising is superior to ours.

Their contra deal is far more effective.

The AFL has a much better and far more comprehensive whole of game strategy around exposure.

Their game is crap but bloody hell they promote it so much better than we do ours.

Foxtel numbers include regionals, so you can't make a like for like comparison between games shown on fta without also including regional ratings, which if you look at the culmative figures (regional + metro) of top 40 fta shows, nrl games are always in top 40 with over 1m, while usually no afl games make it, due to smaller regional audiences in southern states and the fact there games are simulcast on STV. Granted, they have more fta presence by virtue of more games and greater exposure due to simulcast on fox, but the ratings are still fairly neck and neck on a fta basis. On games exclusive to fox, nrl averages are higher then afl exclusive games i think. Definitely room for improvement with more games fta and simulcast and all live but the temporary hit to get rid of first and last rights was worth it, the digital pass has also improved exposure to those without foxtel.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Sorry mate but yes they are. Saturday is particularly bad. Our ratings have fallen through the floor. The AFL ratings on Fox are as bad but they also have FTA and they kill us overall every Saturday.

I have a really bad feeling about how big the gap will be at the end of this year.

Happy to be wrong but I cannot see how that will happen.

go and ask The Wookie

even his running tally proves that is false

Flapper

First Grade
The Wookie wouldn't, as AFL fans go he's got at least a little bit of intelligence in him

cleary89

Coach
His latest graph which was on a thread on big footy which was deleted had the NRL like 4m ahead overall (including pre season, origin, internationals and stuff), 39m to 35m from memory.

El Diablo

Post Whore
His latest graph which was on a thread on big footy which was deleted had the NRL like 4m ahead overall (including pre season, origin, internationals and stuff), 39m to 35m from memory.

yup

nfi what elbusto is on when even AFL fan obsessed with keeping ratings has the NRL ahead

insert.pause

First Grade
Okay lets wait and see then.
As an example, on Friday night our ratings FTA were 562000 according to my figures, while the AFL had 970000 viewers before regional figures were added to both codes.

Last Friday night the NRL was no.36 of top 40 consolidated regional + metro audience with 949k, compare to your number for the Afl of FTA + STV(includes regionals) and the difference is negligible. Also keep in mind that there is a slump during origin week so ratings are down from the million plus before origin.

elbusto

Coach
Last Friday night the NRL was no.36 of top 40 consolidated regional + metro audience with 949k, compare to your number for the Afl of FTA + STV(includes regionals) and the difference is negligible. Also keep in mind that there is a slump during origin week so ratings are down from the million plus before origin.

Just been sent some figures that tend to support you and El D.

Happy to be wrong then :)

insert.pause

First Grade
Just been sent some figures that tend to support you and El D.

Happy to be wrong then :)

No problem mate, you still have a point about greater fta exposure, we really gift the afl Saturdays night fta. Plenty of improvement to look forward to with next deal hopefully!

elbusto

Coach
No problem mate, you still have a point about greater fta exposure, we really gift the afl Saturdays night fta. Plenty of improvement to look forward to with next deal hopefully!

Should have been done last time. On a more positive note GEM coverage across Vic/Tas and WA has been excellent. Not so in SA which just seems totally uninterested in our great sport.

guyver78

Juniors
That sounds right, at least the weren't lying.

Mon night before Origin is massively dumb scheduling.

Faaaark!!! 6500 is about as bad as it can get in the NRL!!!
The lowest attended game that I'd ever been to was 4000 at the SFS back in 1999 I think it was if memory serves me correctly when the Roosters played the Cowboys.
That place looked empty as that day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.