What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWB

Bench
ANZ is awful for football, it is a bit better recently but give me a suburban stadium over it. Have been to Parra a few times including twice this season. It is better. There is a better experience, and frankly it is Parra's home game, not Souths, like all away fans they can buy tickets to the game.

Even 50K at ANZ doesn't look great that the top deck is not filled, and more than that they won't get 50K to this clash anyway!

Why are people so obsessed with how it 'looks'?

If 50k in an 80k stadium looks worse than 20k in a 20k stadium then so be it. We need to progress beyond 'looks' when it comes to determining where games are played.

Factors like actually being located in the geographical location of the home team, atmosphere & fan experience are all crucial considerations but how the crowd 'looks' shouldn't even come into the discussion.

juro

Bench
Doing my comparison of games again (see http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...postcount=2019), Round 12 was down on the average of the equivalent games from 2009-2013. We got 106k, but the average was 112k. While crowds were down, they were not as bad as the equivalent round in previous years.

crowd_2014_r12.png

The biggest fall came from Souths vs Dragons (-8k), thanks to Monday night footy again. This was the lowest crowd for this fixture since 2003.

The Other negative was:
- Cowboys vs Storm -6k

Positives were:
- Warriors vs Knights +6k (biggest crowd ever for this fixture)
- Panthers vs Eels +2k
- Roosters vs Raiders +1k

Broncos vs Manly was marginally down.

Next week's par crowd total is 110k, and we should be able to get fairly close to that.

My guesses are:
Eels vs Cowboys - 16k
Manly vs Bulldogs - 14k
Titans vs Panthers - 12k
Dragons vs Sharks - 14k
Souths vs Warriors - 17k
Knights vs Tigers - 16k
Storm vs Roosters - 12k
Raiders vs Broncos - 7k
Total: 107k

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Apologies if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but is there a reason we don't have a Monday afternoon game this weekend?

franklin2323

Immortal
51k on Easter Monday was better than 18-19k at parra stadium as well. Can't believe you are happy to turn away 30k plus fans from attending a blockbuster. It is about moving forward as a game and the more we can push games to 40k plus blockbusters in Sydney and show the support is really there the more likely we are to get a 50k suncorp in western Sydney

It was against Tigers a big difference.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Broncos vs Manly was marginally down.

Broncos v Manly last year got 31k...

32k for Manly is actually fairly decent. A 40k in 2012 was also a double header (However our form that year would have gathered 35k for it alone).

There have been a few Manly games been scheduled on Sunday and 27k show.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Hey Haynetrain, Im coming on Friday night.

Im also going to Rabbitohs v Warriors. I can't wait to just sit in those bare GA bays.

guyver78

Juniors
ANZ is awful for football, it is a bit better recently but give me a suburban stadium over it. Have been to Parra a few times including twice this season. It is better. There is a better experience, and frankly it is Parra's home game, not Souths, like all away fans they can buy tickets to the game.

Even 50K at ANZ doesn't look great that the top deck is not filled, and more than that they won't get 50K to this clash anyway!

Ok mate 50K doesn't look great at ANZ, I rest my case on that one :sarcasm:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Ok mate 50K doesn't look great at ANZ, I rest my case on that one :sarcasm:

I have to admit Guyver... 50k sounds great at ANZ, but it only really looks great when its full (at least when I'm there I just look up and see the empty level 6). Just because of its shape. I would LOVE to see Suncorp split in half, and Packed with Eels and Buldogs fans, would be crazy.

Take a rectangle 80k stadium, say Santiago Bernabeu or Westfalenstadion (in standing mode) and 50k would look great.

juro

Bench
Broncos v Manly last year got 31k...

32k for Manly is actually fairly decent. A 40k in 2012 was also a double header (However our form that year would have gathered 35k for it alone).

There have been a few Manly games been scheduled on Sunday and 27k show.
The way I work it out is to average the crowds over the last 5 years. For Broncos vs Manly, this was:

2009 - 27527
2010 - no game
2011 - 50859
2012 - 20637
2013 - 31139
Average - 32540

So for 2014 it was down 523 on the average, despite being higher than 3 of the 4 previous games.

oikee

Juniors
When you look at the superstars and teams who have these superstars, i think the Broncos are well and truely punching above their weight. Not by a little way, but a long long way.
I mean if you took one or two of these superstars, added them to a consistent team, you would not only grow crowds but be the market leader. As the Broncos are.

At the start of the year when crowds were crap, where and how did the game build it's confidence, ? through the Broncos crowds, which never faltered.

Once the second team is added to Brisbane, and with a two or three genuine superstars, these crowds will grow again.

Sonny-Bill, Falou, Inglis, Cherry Evans, any of the Melbourne Strom big three, the Burgess boys, Hayne, etc.
Stars like them would bring Brisbane crowds flocking. Lockyer built the crowds in Brisbane, they never replaced him like for like, and that is why the last three years Brisbane crowds have plateaued,.

I think Milford and Barba, now starting to recover, will have Crowds next year growing for Brisbane.

40 thousand has to be the average.
I also think Brisbane is desperate for a Brisbane local derby. We are the only city in Australia not to have one.

Just looking at Manly's crowds, they've been particularly disappointing this year.

If they can't sell out this Friday then I've got no idea what's going on up there.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Just looking at Manly's crowds, they've been particularly disappointing this year.

If they can't sell out this Friday then I've got no idea what's going on up there.

I pretty sure it will be raining, and being on a Friday night, a nightmare for Bulldogs supporters to get to. I think 15K tops.

reanimate

Bench

We've had rain at heaps of our games, which makes sitting on the hill a shit experience. Brooky needs an upgrade badly. Either that or the NRL needs to come up with some sort of stadium plan for the North, which doesn't involve forcing us to play out of the SFS.

Billythekid

First Grade
50K at ANZ looks fantastic, not sure what you guys are smoking. The problem is that we basically never get anywhere near that number.

Valheru

Coach
Was dominated by Souths fans by far, actually ;) Funny you guys were happy to prop up your numbers last year with the Easter clash, same for Roosters with the round one clash
Fact is that Souths are involved in the biggest contests every year because people of all clubs go to see Souths play and we have the biggest fan base outside Broncos

How did hosting round 1 go for you this year?

Let’s not forget that last year you got the unprecedented opportunity to host a game in round 26 for the minor premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts