What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

newman

First Grade
when you look at the superstars and teams who have these superstars, i think the broncos are well and truely punching above their weight. Not by a little way, but a long long way.
I mean if you took one or two of these superstars, added them to a consistent team, you would not only grow crowds but be the market leader. As the broncos are.

At the start of the year when crowds were crap, where and how did the game build it's confidence, ? Through the broncos crowds, which never faltered.

Once the second team is added to brisbane, and with a two or three genuine superstars, these crowds will grow again.

Sonny-bill, falou, inglis, cherry evans, any of the melbourne strom big three, the burgess boys, hayne, etc.
Stars like them would bring brisbane crowds flocking. Lockyer built the crowds in brisbane, they never replaced him like for like, and that is why the last three years brisbane crowds have plateaued,.

I think milford and barba, now starting to recover, will have crowds next year growing for brisbane.

40 thousand has to be the average.
I also think brisbane is desperate for a brisbane local derby. We are the only city in australia not to have one.

lunatic alert!

guyver78

Juniors
It should be a Sunday arvo game. For fans of other teams, it's much easier to get to Brooky on a Sunday.

Mate even then, Manly is a graveyard for crowds. Once it hits about 18,000 that ground is so full to the point where you can't even see past people standing in front of you.

The Knights/Manly game a few weeks ago got just over 8000 from memory but at least you could see properly from that hill. Brookie has to be the most unaccommodating ground in the NRL for opposition supporters.

guyver78

Juniors
I have to admit Guyver... 50k sounds great at ANZ, but it only really looks great when its full (at least when I'm there I just look up and see the empty level 6). Just because of its shape. I would LOVE to see Suncorp split in half, and Packed with Eels and Buldogs fans, would be crazy.

Take a rectangle 80k stadium, say Santiago Bernabeu or Westfalenstadion (in standing mode) and 50k would look great.

Come on Fellas, ANZ absolutely pumps with 50K+. Sure you do see a hell of a lot of empty seats on level 6 that's a fact but who cares.

I mean ok NOTHING beats ANZ at 84,000 packed to capacity but the point I was trying to make was that Level 6 at ANZ is sooo damn high up that it really doesn't matter if Levels 1-4 are completely full.

I was at Suncorp this year for the Souths game where there was 45K and I can tell you ANZ got just as loud if not louder at some stages of the game last year when the Dogs played the Rabbits (51K) and then the Roosters (Almost 60K).

Downside is that yes offcourse you do see all those empty seats on Level 6 if you look up.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Thing i find most impressive about ANZ is that, for such a large stadium, it has amazing acoustics...

I managed to get time off for the Knights-Bulldogs final last year and decided to head up early. At the statrt of the U20s there were maybe 2,000 people and it was still bloody loud.

I find the problem is more with RL fans in general; we only yell when something exciting is happening. Not a bad way to do it because it makes the big moments that much more exciting, but you can really hear the silence during general play.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Come on Fellas, ANZ absolutely pumps with 50K+. Sure you do see a hell of a lot of empty seats on level 6 that's a fact but who cares.

I mean ok NOTHING beats ANZ at 84,000 packed to capacity but the point I was trying to make was that Level 6 at ANZ is sooo damn high up that it really doesn't matter if Levels 1-4 are completely full.

I was at Suncorp this year for the Souths game where there was 45K and I can tell you ANZ got just as loud if not louder at some stages of the game last year when the Dogs played the Rabbits (51K) and then the Roosters (Almost 60K).

Downside is that yes offcourse you do see all those empty seats on Level 6 if you look up.

I don't doubt that the atmosphere is good. Just looks a bit meh.

juro

Bench
So after a slow first few rounds, things are looking a lot more rosy now.

After 12 rounds, the total crowd is 1,535,545. This is 43,571 down on the same point last year (although last year we had played one extra game). Average crowd is down 290 per game.

We are actually up a total of 4,003 on 2012 (our peak year) for the same number of games.

So after a slow first few rounds, things are looking a lot more rosy now.

After 12 rounds, the total crowd is 1,535,545. This is 43,571 down on the same point last year (although last year we had played one extra game). Average crowd is down 290 per game.

We are actually up a total of 4,003 on 2012 (our peak year) for the same number of games.

With the Bulldogs yet to play Eels 2x, Penrith & Parra going strong, Bronco's home game against Storm, Warriors and Dragons at home to come crowds could be on a upward trend.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I have 1,535,830 - I think RLeague Stats have Round 5 around the wrong way, should be 127635 not 127365

firechild

First Grade
Just looking at Manly's crowds, they've been particularly disappointing this year.

If they can't sell out this Friday then I've got no idea what's going on up there.

Heavy rain for the Raiders and Sharks games (teams that bring next to no fans) certainly hasn't helped. More rain tomorrow night and the season average is going to be pretty poor. Our home games this year have hardly been blockbusters, Melbourne aside. We've played Canberra, Cronulla and Newcastle with the Tigers game being in Gosford. Admittedly the crowd for the Parra game on a sunny afternoon was pretty poor also given they are one of our biggest rivals and the game time was perfect.

Reality is though, for those of us who grew up sitting on the hill at Brookie, it's something we love. For many, the idea of paying $30 to sit on a patch of grass is unappealing. Brookie needs an upgrade ASAP.

Last edited:
Heavy rain for the Raiders and Sharks games (teams that bring next to no fans) certainly hasn't helped.

Opposition excuse is lame, at the end of the day supporters should show up for there team and not the opposition I believe. It's there home ground not the opposition's you're telling us firechild that Manly don't have enough fans despite all those premierships and finals appearance to pack out Brookie and have to rely on away supporters. It can be interpreted that way fire.

guyver78

Juniors
Round 14

Friday Night: Rabbitohs v Tigers
Sunday Avo: Dogs v Eels

Rabbitohs/Tigers season ticket holders get free entry to the Sunday game
Dogs/Eels season ticket holders get free entry to the Friday game

Will be keeping a very close eye on this one to see what happens. I don't know how many opposition supporters are actually going to take up this offer and go to ANZ as Rugby League fans generally don't care too much for watching other teams play but it's a generous offer nevertheless.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Round 14

Friday Night: Rabbitohs v Tigers
Sunday Avo: Dogs v Eels

Rabbitohs/Tigers season ticket holders get free entry to the Sunday game
Dogs/Eels season ticket holders get free entry to the Friday game

Will be keeping a very close eye on this one to see what happens. I don't know how many opposition supporters are actually going to take up this offer and go to ANZ as Rugby League fans generally don't care too much for watching other teams play but it's a generous offer nevertheless.

$15 tickets for GA Dogs v Eels game as well at the moment available. Hoping to see a big crowd.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm contemplating it. Only downer is the parking cost on the non-Bulldogs game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts