What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal

Won't happen. GC v Us or Manly/Sharks at ANZ on a Monday night. 75k extra seats a great sight for the game. Not to mention the surface quality after 4 x NRL and NYC games for 20 weeks of the year. Add to that SOO , RU and other sport played.

What will happen is more match of the day type things played at these grounds. Like the farce that was no games on Queens Birthday shouldn't happen ever again

pHyR3

Juniors
Won't happen. GC v Us or Manly/Sharks at ANZ on a Monday night. 75k extra seats a great sight for the game. Not to mention the surface quality after 4 x NRL and NYC games for 20 weeks of the year. Add to that SOO , RU and other sport played.

What will happen is more match of the day type things played at these grounds. Like the farce that was no games on Queens Birthday shouldn't happen ever again

4 NRL games a week? SFS still exists. and there will still be some games at suburban venues, not many though.

anyway, i'd hope that by the time we've almost removed surburban venues we're averaging 20-25k and monday nights are now thursday nights.

franklin2323

Immortal
4 NRL games a week? SFS still exists. and there will still be some games at suburban venues, not many though.

anyway, i'd hope that by the time we've almost removed surburban venues we're averaging 20-25k and monday nights are now thursday nights.

The same SFS that Waratahs and Sydney FC use during the season. The way TV dictates our schedule that's simply a pipe dream. I got in to the ground last night at 6.52 if that game was anywhere else I wouldn't of been able to go. Many others are the same.

Like I said they can make event games every fortnight or so at these big grounds public holidays, Sundays etc but not all timeslots work

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally next TV deal we will pss off Monday nights all together except the occasional ones on public holidays. At the moment the TV deal is undervalued anyway compared to AFL when you consider the value of SOO and add in an extra game from expansion. We should be in a strong enough position to offer FOX every game live but no Monday night. Occasional Thursday/Monday nights and the every game live should counter balance the loss of the Monday night fixture for them.

2 Friday, 4 Saturday, 3 Sunday should be the NRL's goal from 2018. It is the only way we are going to get close to the 20k avg they crave.

franklin2323

Immortal
2 Friday, 4 Saturday, 3 Sunday should be the NRL's goal from 2018. It is the only way we are going to get close to the 20k avg they crave.

Spot on. Short term though market the hell out of blockbusters no reason there can't be 2 50k games on every long weekends in Sydney

guyver78

Juniors
Spot on. Short term though market the hell out of blockbusters no reason there can't be 2 50k games on every long weekends in Sydney

That would be nice but I doubt NRL sides would be able to stand on their own 2 feet by that time. At this stage only the Broncos and Rabbitohs actually make a profit. Without the TV money clubs like Manly would be extinct and I doubt too much will change 4-5 years from now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No one is saying there will be no TV money but we should be able to get the same amount or more next time without Monday nights. We still got less than afl despite bigger audiences, SOO major events and we can add an extra game in 2018. We could also every game live to Fox. There is room to grow the deal AND drop Monday nights from the schedule. Fox should buy SL games and show the two weekend games on a Monday night.

franklin2323

Immortal
That would be nice but I doubt NRL sides would be able to stand on their own 2 feet by that time. At this stage only the Broncos and Rabbitohs actually make a profit. Without the TV money clubs like Manly would be extinct and I doubt too much will change 4-5 years from now.

Panthers made a profit this season...yet have average crowds. So it can be done. You will see ads for SOO once the season ends. Similar could be done for Easter games at ANZ.

Lock in more of those type games and market the hell out of them. 13k at Suburban grounds aren't too bad for the non prefered slots if they are with 2 40k crowds at ANZ/SFS. Then when the TV rights are up then possibly change timeslots

DC_fan

Coach
Panthers made a profit this season...yet have average crowds. So it can be done. You will see ads for SOO once the season ends. Similar could be done for Easter games at ANZ.

Lock in more of those type games and market the hell out of them. 13k at Suburban grounds aren't too bad for the non prefered slots if they are with 2 40k crowds at ANZ/SFS. Then when the TV rights are up then possibly change timeslots

The problem for the NRL is the nine Sydney teams. It is impossible to market/hype up every Sydney game.

Cut the number of Sydney teams and see how the crowds improve then.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I look at the average crowds and seriously wonder how clubs like Manly, Cronulla, Roosters and even Penrith can sustain long term.

I'm also not sure Canberra is working tbh.

juro

Bench
Doing my comparison of games again (see http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/sh...postcount=2019).

Round 18 (81k) was 7k down on the average of the equivalent games from 2009-2013 (88k). This was our 8th week of losses in a row. Now that we are fully past SOO, can we get a positive bump? It's looking likely!

crowd_2014_18.png

The biggest fall came from Warriors vs Eels (-9k). While 14k was not too bad, it couldn't compete with the last time the fixture was held, 2011 Round 1 with 38k. That was the Warriors first game at Eden Park, so had a definite novelty boost. The average over 2009-13 was 23k, with a minimum of 10k in 2010.

The other negatives were:
- Sea Eagles vs Wests Tigers -4k
- Titans vs Raiders -2k

The positives were:
- Sharks vs Knights +6k (biggest crowd for this fixture since 2006)
- Panthers vs Broncos +1k (not bad at all for a Monday night)
- Storm vs Bulldogs +1k

Next week's par crowd total is 132k, and I'm tipping a lot more than that.

My guesses are:
Sharks vs Cowboys 12k
Eels vs Rabbitohs 19k
Roosters vs Panthers 13k
Storm vs Raiders 13k
Broncos vs Warriors 37k
Knights vs Titans 29k
Wests Tigers vs Bulldogs 26k
Dragons vs Sea Eagles 10k
Total: 159k

franklin2323

Immortal
The problem for the NRL is the nine Sydney teams. It is impossible to market/hype up every Sydney game.

Cut the number of Sydney teams and see how the crowds improve then.

Yeah but you don't every game. ANZAC Day, Easter Monday and Good Friday. Queens Bday Monday. Heritage game at SCG. That's just for starters

franklin2323

Immortal
I look at the average crowds and seriously wonder how clubs like Manly, Cronulla, Roosters and even Penrith can sustain long term.

Sharks own their own ground so limited costs. We pay no rent at Penrith just cover costs 12k is break even for us. The fact we are on track for a profit (No Leagues Club money even) with our average crowd is great work.

Not sure of the others.

Eddie Lab

Juniors

Canberra support is there but they are waiting for the club to do something. that 2010 home final game sold out in no time and would have broken the crowd record if Canberra stadium put up temp seating like they did for the Brumbies early 2000's. the problem is 2 decades of awfulness and a board that doesn't seem to care.

the crowds aren't good but "not sure Canberra is working" statement is odd? Raiders would be one of the top 5 most profitable clubs in the NRL. does that mean basically all the other clubs aren't working.

TheFrog

Coach

This is the problem.

You tell a team when they must play, which is in the interests of TV, and then say that crowds are not viable.

This is a winter sport. Penrith do not have a single home game in the afternoon this season, except for the game next week at Bathurst. We have 4 Monday nights and a Sunday night, and one Friday night game. All the others Saturday night mostly 5.30pm slot.

Other clubs seem to get Sunday afternoon games at suburban grounds and get 16-17,000.

If you are going to start questioning the sustainability of clubs by looking at crowd figures, you have to let them decide what is the best time for them to hold their event.

LineBall

Juniors
This is the problem.

You tell a team when they must play, which is in the interests of TV, and then say that crowds are not viable.

This is a winter sport. Penrith do not have a single home game in the afternoon this season, except for the game next week at Bathurst. We have 4 Monday nights and a Sunday night, and one Friday night game. All the others Saturday night mostly 5.30pm slot.

Other clubs seem to get Sunday afternoon games at suburban grounds and get 16-17,000.

If you are going to start questioning the sustainability of clubs by looking at crowd figures, you have to let them decide what is the best time for them to hold their event.

Well said. In an alternate universe, if every match was played at 3:00 pm on a Sunday afternoon, I wonder what the crowd averages would be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.