What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisD

Coach
So why aren't Panthers fans attending? It's really not that far...

I could make it if I rushed myself but I don't really like watching football at ANZ when it's packed, less so when it's empty. I will enjoy it more at home on TV and for none of the effort.

franklin2323

Immortal
I could make it if I rushed myself but I don't really like watching football at ANZ when it's packed, less so when it's empty. I will enjoy it more at home on TV and for none of the effort.

I can be home with Pizza and drink in hand by 630 or

Go to the game after leaving at 5am this morning (A similar start tomorrow). Pay $20 for a cold burger and chips and sit so far from the game. Get home around 11pm.

Not a hard choice really

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Problem is Sydney is the perfect town to have 3-4 teams in a national comp

As AFL will no doubt end up doing,

Maybe Rupert was onto something with super league

franklin2323

Immortal
Hopefully nights like this give NRL house the wake up call they need.

Especially when they leave work tonight and see 40,000 Afl fans next door

Why tonight there will be 30k at RL in Sydney. Tomorrow similar numbers at the games. So overall RL still wins but hey you would fit in at the DT with spin like that

Billythekid

First Grade
Problem is Sydney is the perfect town to have 3-4 teams in a national comp

As AFL will no doubt end up doing,

Maybe Rupert was onto something with super league

What the f*ck are you smoking? They'll be lucky to keep their abomination of a second Sydney club alive. What world are you living in where they could end up with 4 teams in Sydney? I don't see why Sydney should be just limited to 4 clubs either, it can easily support more than that and with big crowds as well.

DIOGENES

Juniors
I don't get the angst about this "heartland" stuff
League is rock solid in Qld/NSW with its traditional demographic - working class and lower middle class men. Its hard to imagine guys in this group taking an interest in fumbleball.
Middle class women and guys who went to GPS schools not only aren't interested but often take a negative view to League but might be interested in Union or AFL. In such a situation comparisons are false except to say that League crowds and ratings are surprisingly robust.
The challenge to League is to break out of its demographic particularly with women who decide which sport their kids play.
3 positive moves that are happening:
No tolerance of bogan behaviour from players
Less biff
Using grounds with reasonable amenities

papabear

Juniors
We have almost 17k members yet struggle to get 12k to games. Our away attendance is almost non existant these need to be fixed before we move games to bigger staduims

because you are having a relatively good year and are on a big membership drive.

membership numbers aren't directly comparable to the amount of fans, although over time I imagine they will give a decent guide.

The passionate panthers fans who can show will show, fact is there isn't as many panthers fans and similarly not as many passionate ones as other certain clubs. That said they still probably have more fans then the sharks!

Jason Maher

Immortal
because you are having a relatively good year and are on a big membership drive.

membership numbers aren't directly comparable to the amount of fans, although over time I imagine they will give a decent guide.

The passionate panthers fans who can show will show, fact is there isn't as many panthers fans and similarly not as many passionate ones as other certain clubs. That said they still probably have more fans then the sharks!

And you make these claims based on what? Have you done a census of everyone between Blacktown and Emu Plains to find out?

For any Panthers fans with local knowledge: how much work do the Panthers do promoting themselves, especially to kids, and how wide an area do they cover? Given their reserve grade team is the Windsor Wolves, are they looking to draw fans from this entire North-West region?

morley101

Juniors
The record crowd for a non finals game Dogs V Penrith game is 22,147 back in 2003.
I would expect 15K + for tonight.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you're a fan and the stadium is within reach I don't see why you wouldn't. I detest Brookvale Oval as an NRL venue but I still go there because I support the team. I'm not there for the ground or the facilities.

And the reason grounds lack atmosphere is because people DECIDE not to attend. More people = better atmosphere. Opting out for that reason means YOU are the reason the atmosphere is lacking.

papabear

Juniors
And you make these claims based on what? Have you done a census of everyone between Blacktown and Emu Plains to find out?

For any Panthers fans with local knowledge: how much work do the Panthers do promoting themselves, especially to kids, and how wide an area do they cover? Given their reserve grade team is the Windsor Wolves, are they looking to draw fans from this entire North-West region?

It was just my opinion.

I thought that was obvious.....

malleekid

Juniors
For the people who prefer to watch the game at home, don't you have mates? Isn't going to the footy a good excuse to get together and a watch the game with some company/have a drink? I defiantly find it that way.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
For the people who prefer to watch the game at home, don't you have mates? Isn't going to the footy a good excuse to get together and a watch the game with some company/have a drink? I defiantly find it that way.

Pros and cons for both options.

I enjoy both, go to caxton st with the lads then to the football.

But sometimes, we can all have a bbq with wagyu rip fillet and GREAT beer, just as much fun for a much more appealing price.

franklin2323

Immortal

In 2004 we ave 17k only 2nd to Bulldogs for Sydney clubs so there's 4k for starters gone that don't come anymore. There's the same 8k at every home game no matter the position on the ladder.

You will see across here and social media no Panther fans talking us up for the Premiership so it's a decent season nothing to special though. NYC winning last year, NSW Cup is 6 points clear this year. NRL even scraping into 8 and going out the 1st week all gets that hype up.

We need that going for another 2 seasons before all those casuals that click like on facebook and Twitter actually go to games regularly enough to even think about moving some games

franklin2323

Immortal
If you're a fan and the stadium is within reach I don't see why you wouldn't. I detest Brookvale Oval as an NRL venue but I still go there because I support the team. I'm not there for the ground or the facilities.

And the reason grounds lack atmosphere is because people DECIDE not to attend. More people = better atmosphere. Opting out for that reason means YOU are the reason the atmosphere is lacking.

Nope the 15m gap between the seats and the field is the reason ANZ lacks atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.