What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgesnmith

Juniors
I am thinking they vast amount of sport on offer at the moment is affecting everyone's crowds. Nrl, afl and super rugby have started slowly while the aleague has dipped. I am astonished every weekend how much live sport is on, across all 4 codes on tv this is dfinitely watering down the pool of fans who attend games. In sydney the baseball will have had a small impact as well, thew were probably 60k sydneysiders at the 2 games payig top dollar and many are most likely nrl attendees.

hasnt hurt tv ratings though

i think with crowds people go to whatever event is the "hottest" at the moment then move on to another sport when they get bored of it

you can see it in other sports when their team has won the GF their crowds shoot up then a few years later when they miss the finals the crowds slump 30%.

thats why id much prefer building up crowds slowly with genuine fans rather than getting them in based on a grand final win

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
hasnt hurt tv ratings though

i think with crowds people go to whatever event is the "hottest" at the moment then move on to another sport when they get bored of it

you can see it in other sports when their team has won the GF their crowds shoot up then a few years later when they miss the finals the crowds slump 30%.

thats why id much prefer building up crowds slowly with genuine fans rather than getting them in based on a grand final win

Agreed.

If Brisbane win the next two weeks and the reds loose, I have a feeling 45k plus will show for the ANZAC day game. League fans all over the place were expecting the broncos to be very poor, after a good start people here are talking about them again.

Agreed.

If Brisbane win the next two weeks and the reds loose, I have a feeling 45k plus will show for the ANZAC day game. League fans all over the place were expecting the broncos to be very poor, after a good start people here are talking about them again.

Reds pulled 28k last night -- notwithstanding the current media story of the Reds outdrawing the Broncs.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yep waste of time talking about expansion. Let's stick to 14k all Sydney games.
Finally a good post from PR. Keep it up.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...and-final-replay/story-fndujljl-1226868690352

NRL chief executive Dave Smith has promised to review match-day ticket prices, food and beverage costs and membership packages after only 14,902 fans turned up for the grand final replay between the Sydney Roosters and Manly on Friday night.

At Wollongong, St George Illawarra and Brisbane attracted an embarrassing attendance of 10,526.

The NRL?s ability to draw crowds continues to be a major issue for the code, with averages down on last season.

It led Smith to concede the NRL had work to do to reach a personal target of an average of 16,500 people per game this season, with the objective of an average of 20,000 by 2017.

?We?ve got to get the price point right, particularly for families because we want more and more families coming to the game,?? Smith told 2GB?s Continuous Call Team.

?We?ve got to make it so that when they do come to the game it?s an experience that they enjoy from the minute they leave their door.

?Price point isn?t lost on me, if you want to increase volume we?ve got to make sure when they come they have an enjoyable experience and it?s safe and it?s fun.

?The football this season has been fantastic, so it?s nothing to do with the football. At the same time we?ve got to make sure the facilities are good and they?ve got a choice.??

Smith maintains the NRL?s stadium policy, where the majority of matches are played at a major ground ? predominantly ANZ and Allianz ? is the way of the future."

Get with the times people. The writing is on the wall. The NRL is actively working to kill suburban rustbuckets. As they should.

DC_fan

Coach
People today have so many choices as to what they can attend and spend money on.

Sport may not be the trendy thing for some people to attend at the moment, unless it's a big event like a grand final, state of origin or a major racing occasion like the Melbourne Cup or Golden Slipper.

People attend big sporting events, not just because they are fans of the sport but also because it's a big event. Not every NRL could be called a event.

I am a Souths fan and I will be at ANZ this afternoon. While I hope their will be a crowd of 20,000 plus I doubt it will reach that figure. Here we have a Souths home game being played on a Sunday afternoon. The weather looks alright. There really is no reason we shouldn't get 20,000 plus. But because we are playing Canberra, the game lacks that big event feeling so some Souths fans may not see it as a priority to attend.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Agreed.

playing some good football, smashed my team on friday lol

oikee

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...and-final-replay/story-fndujljl-1226868690352

NRL chief executive Dave Smith has promised to review match-day ticket prices, food and beverage costs and membership packages after only 14,902 fans turned up for the grand final replay between the Sydney Roosters and Manly on Friday night.

At Wollongong, St George Illawarra and Brisbane attracted an embarrassing attendance of 10,526.

The NRL?s ability to draw crowds continues to be a major issue for the code, with averages down on last season.

It led Smith to concede the NRL had work to do to reach a personal target of an average of 16,500 people per game this season, with the objective of an average of 20,000 by 2017.

?We?ve got to get the price point right, particularly for families because we want more and more families coming to the game,?? Smith told 2GB?s Continuous Call Team.

?We?ve got to make it so that when they do come to the game it?s an experience that they enjoy from the minute they leave their door.

?Price point isn?t lost on me, if you want to increase volume we?ve got to make sure when they come they have an enjoyable experience and it?s safe and it?s fun.

?The football this season has been fantastic, so it?s nothing to do with the football. At the same time we?ve got to make sure the facilities are good and they?ve got a choice.??

Smith maintains the NRL?s stadium policy, where the majority of matches are played at a major ground ? predominantly ANZ and Allianz ? is the way of the future."

Ah Smithy, your flogging a dead horse mate in Sydney. Any businessman worth half his salt can see that Sydney is dragging the code backwards, killing the code.
When is the bean counter going to wake up.

I mean look at the massive crowd in Perth, in the pouring rain, more than the blockbuster Saints game.
And Wellington needs a team, only 20 odd thousand turned up their, a bigger crowd than the grand final rematch.

But Smithy, surely even blind freddy can see that our heartland needs more than one team playing every two weeks,,,,,,yes Brisbane.

You neglect your 30 to 40 to 50 thousand crowd heartland and you get left with chitlings.

Your little suburban game with 10 thousand crowds.

Get outta Sydney son, before french grubby union comes along and steals the rest of our decent players.
The code is now running out of time to be saved.
We will end up with bigger crowds at the Queensland cup the way things are going.

Apart from that the games are second to none. Great super Saturday.

Paullyboy

Coach
I have been obsessed with rugby league my whole life, and even I've lost interest over the last few years. The overall quality of football and the disgraceful refereeing that essentially decides the fate of most matches leads me to only watch one or two games a week nowadays - how do you expect to win over a bunch of neutrals?

oikee

Juniors
I have been obsessed with rugby league my whole life, and even I've lost interest over the last few years. The overall quality of football and the disgraceful refereeing that essentially decides the fate of most matches leads me to only watch one or two games a week nowadays - how do you expect to win over a bunch of neutrals?

I am the opposite, i think the game has never been better and some of the tries and the speed of the game is making it more exciting,, to even be at the game by the look of it.
(if only the refs start to penalise manly as well for spoiling slow-down tactics like they have been doing all the other teams) but outside Manly, all the games have been quality.

The game is perfect, it is now the stadiums in Sydney that seem to be killing the crowds.
When they build another 50 thousand stadium in the west, they should be fine. Lets hope it does not take 10 years for that to happen.

Fix the stadium issue (anz, turn it into a rectangle beast), expand into Perth and Brisbane, and crack down on Manly, the game is going great guns really.

Most teams can win or lose any given week.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbh I think it has little to with the game. When you are charging the $'s NRL clubs want to charge you have to make it a great event to attend. Last night at nib there was no sense of event at all. Nothing going on around the ground to excite the kids, nothing pre match, beer $7 for a small Hahn light, chips $7 for a small cone, players running off soon as whistle blows (storm) no give aways for the kids etc etc. sorry but if your going to expect a family to pay $120 for a couple of hours out it has to be much much better than that. My experience in melbourne two weeks ago was the same. Either make it cheap to go or make it an amazing night out.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ah Smithy, your flogging a dead horse mate in Sydney. Any businessman worth half his salt can see that Sydney is dragging the code backwards, killing the code.
When is the bean counter going to wake up.

I mean look at the massive crowd in Perth, in the pouring rain, more than the blockbuster Saints game.
And Wellington needs a team, only 20 odd thousand turned up their, a bigger crowd than the grand final rematch.

But Smithy, surely even blind freddy can see that our heartland needs more than one team playing every two weeks,,,,,,yes Brisbane.

You neglect your 30 to 40 to 50 thousand crowd heartland and you get left with chitlings.

Your little suburban game with 10 thousand crowds.

Get outta Sydney son, before french grubby union comes along and steals the rest of our decent players.
The code is now running out of time to be saved.
We will end up with bigger crowds at the Queensland cup the way things are going.

Apart from that the games are second to none. Great super Saturday.

What a bizarre rant.

Let's start with your "massive" crowd in Perth. 12k?

That's the worst crowd in Perth since NINETEEN NINETY SEVEN.

Wellington - pretty good crowd, granted.

As for the rest... I don't think you understand the concept of supply and demand. A second team in Brisbane MIGHT be successful - but it will surely result in the death of the Titans. They're already teetering on the edge when it comes to support and a second Brisbane team will eat into that whether you believe it or not.

Sydney, yes, probably has one or two too many teams - but the difference is we have the 4 million people to have sustained it, and on inflation have done so for the best part of 107 years.

Arguing that QLD is getting "neglected" is laughable. The Broncos get every possible concession (admittedly via NRL, not the club themselves) to maximise results, attendance and so on... concessions not really extended to the Titans or Cowboys.

I have no doubt there is work to be done - in both states... but don't kid yourself by claiming Sydney is killing rugby league.

pHyR3

Juniors
What a bizarre rant.

As for the rest... I don't think you understand the concept of supply and demand. A second team in Brisbane MIGHT be successful - but it will surely result in the death of the Titans. They're already teetering on the edge when it comes to support and a second Brisbane team will eat into that whether you believe it or not.

Sydney, yes, probably has one or two too many teams - but the difference is we have the 4 million people to have sustained it, and on inflation have done so for the best part of 107 years.

Arguing that QLD is getting "neglected" is laughable. The Broncos get every possible concession (admittedly via NRL, not the club themselves) to maximise results, attendance and so on... concessions not really extended to the Titans or Cowboys.

I have no doubt there is work to be done - in both states... but don't kid yourself by claiming Sydney is killing rugby league.

it was over 15k actually, in the POURING RAIN. you're an idiot if you can't see perth needs a team. It's not gonna average ridiculous numbers but it is something the NRL needs to counter AFL and soccer in WA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a bizarre rant.

I doubt there are many titans fans in that Ipswich Logan Sw corridor which is where the new Brisbane team is likely to develop its fanbase from

Perth Red

Post Whore
it was over 15k actually, in the POURING RAIN. you're an idiot if you can't see perth needs a team. It's not gonna average ridiculous numbers but it is something the NRL needs to counter AFL and soccer in WA.

Tbh we need a club to grow the game of RL, weakening other codes will just be a useful bye product.

When you've got games in the heartland of the game regularly drawing sub 14k crowds then I think the concern of a Perth team not getting 20k every game is mute.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
'The stadiums in Sydney are killing the crowds, we need bigger stadiums and more games at ANZ and SFS', but hypocritical when most of this criticism has come about because of crowds at ANZ and SFS...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

He never said Perth shouldn't have a team. Read his post first.

And the Perth crowd was 12'014. Idiot.

Springs

First Grade
Why is every game a 'blockbuster' now. The Dragons winning three games doesn't make a game a blockbuster. It's in Wollongong between two underperforming teams of the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts