What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyver78

Juniors
Another week of NRL, another week with fairly poor attendances.

Mate and I drove all the way up to Gosford for the game which was ok as it is a nice drive up.

1 thing that did get me thinking as we drove back to Sydney after the game was does the average supporter really get "value for money" at an NRL game?

So far this year I have attended 2 NRL games and watched about 6 other full games on TV and I must admit that even as a die hard NRL fan there's just something missing this year.

Maybe it's the lack on stars on teams like the Tigers, Dragons, Eels, Raiders or Knights to name a few I don't really know but there's just something that's missing. To me most of the NRL games that I have watched this year including the game on friday night at Gosford have all been missing that WOW factor.

So far I really haven't seen a game that had any sort of WOW factor, anybody else feel the same?

Is there really much value for the average supporter to pay $40-$60 to go to an NRL game?

Brutus

Referee
Another week of NRL, another week with fairly poor attendances.

Mate and I drove all the way up to Gosford for the game which was ok as it is a nice drive up.

1 thing that did get me thinking as we drove back to Sydney after the game was does the average supporter really get "value for money" at an NRL game?

So far this year I have attended 2 NRL games and watched about 6 other full games on TV and I must admit that even as a die hard NRL fan there's just something missing this year.

Maybe it's the lack on stars on teams like the Tigers, Dragons, Eels, Raiders or Knights to name a few I don't really know but there's just something that's missing. To me most of the NRL games that I have watched this year including the game on friday night at Gosford have all been missing that WOW factor.

So far I really haven't seen a game that had any sort of WOW factor, anybody else feel the same?

Is there really much value for the average supporter to pay $40-$60 to go to an NRL game?

And next year we lose two of our bigger names in Sam Burgess and SBW.

Folau could have so easily been an NRL player.

It's criminal that he is not running around with the lowly Parra.

Springs

First Grade
And next year we lose two of our bigger names in Sam Burgess and SBW.

Folau could have so easily been an NRL player.

It's criminal that he is not running around with the lowly Parra.

Don't worry, there'll be 2 more players to replace them! Because having 2 young superstars is apparently just as good as having those 2 young superstars while still having Burgess and SBW in the game!

seanoff

Juniors
AFL crowds round one have been poor. I am sure the media will ignore that though. :shock:

The AFL haven't scheduled high drawing games in rd1 and in the smaller grounds. Hawthorn play in Tassie next week as part of Rd1.

Rd2 however. there are 3 games guaranteed to draw more than 45K. in fact if they had scheduled hawthorn v Essendon at the MCG it would have drawn in excess of 60 and possibly 80. but its at Etihad and 45 is about the limit there. and another 2 that should get at least 35. and then rd3 where 4 crowds around 50 and 2 of those well above that mark are scheduled.

and lets face it, the NRL would kill for a round where there are 5 games with a serious expectation of more than 35k or the next one where 50K+ is a serious expectation for multiple games.

guyver78

Juniors
Don't worry, there'll be 2 more players to replace them! Because having 2 young superstars is apparently just as good as having those 2 young superstars while still having Burgess and SBW in the game!

The superstars are 1 thing, i mean I'm always of the impression that if someone wants to leave whether they're unhappy or for financial reasons then let them. Everybody is replaceable and for every SBW and Sam Burgess that leave there is another George Burgess or Boyd Coydner to replace them.

Putting all that aside in my opinion most of the games themselves have been average border-lining on boring. I could barely finish watching the Titans v Sharks game last friday night and even the Souths v Manly game hardly looked like 2 top 4 teams going at it.

Anybody else notice the same thing?

LineBall

Juniors
The superstars are 1 thing, i mean I'm always of the impression that if someone wants to leave whether they're unhappy or for financial reasons then let them. Everybody is replaceable and for every SBW and Sam Burgess that leave there is another George Burgess or Boyd Coydner to replace them.

Putting all that aside in my opinion most of the games themselves have been average border-lining on boring. I could barely finish watching the Titans v Sharks game last friday night and even the Souths v Manly game hardly looked like 2 top 4 teams going at it.

Don't know if it is the quality of the games or the way they're presented. I know the cowboys broncos was great to watch on TV. Gosford and Shark Park at night looks like the lighting at the stadium is terrible. It's half dark, which affects the atmosphere. Contrast that with Lang Park - Looks much better on TV. Now if only it was in HD...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Funnily enough I found myself highly entertained by the first two games on Saturday. The Dragons are now enterprising in attack, and the Storm v Panthers game was great quality.

Just comes down to who's playing I guess.

elbusto

Coach
The AFL haven't scheduled high drawing games in rd1 and in the smaller grounds. Hawthorn play in Tassie next week as part of Rd1.

Rd2 however. there are 3 games guaranteed to draw more than 45K. in fact if they had scheduled hawthorn v Essendon at the MCG it would have drawn in excess of 60 and possibly 80. but its at Etihad and 45 is about the limit there. and another 2 that should get at least 35. and then rd3 where 4 crowds around 50 and 2 of those well above that mark are scheduled.

and lets face it, the NRL would kill for a round where there are 5 games with a serious expectation of more than 35k or the next one where 50K+ is a serious expectation for multiple games.
You are wrong.

Carlton and Collingwood had home games and got poor crowds.

Looks like we are not the only ones struggling a bit this year.

franklin2323

Immortal
I have 6 tickets (free) in my corporate box for tonight and can't give them away to customers/ suppliers/ family/ mates or enemies.

It's the travel there as I mentioned in the Penrith moving thread. It's not just as easy as a 40min trips that Whereis will say. The 7pm kick off even stuffs you putting a bus on to the game

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
With Jharal Yow Yehs retirement they are sending him off with a lap of honour. We all love him up here, I have a feeling this alone may add 5,000 plus to the crowd on Friday night.

franklin2323

Immortal
With Jharal Yow Yehs retirement they are sending him off with a lap of honour. We all love him up here, I have a feeling this alone may add 5,000 plus to the crowd on Friday night.

Do the Roosters usually pull a good crowd? Could be a few great crowds this week

georgesnmith

Juniors
with the drop in titans crowds from their high thats 500 per game off the NRL season average. its a massive fall.

the ARLC needs to look at what can be done, clearly we are losing the marketing war.

even the cowboys crowds are off as well, they seem to have lost some support over time, hopefully they can get it back

and the broncos should be doing more on their crowds, 33k isnt enough for what they are

perhaps with the addition of another brisbane NRL club will give all these the boost they need to send their crowds higher

titans and cowboys should be over 20k, and the broncos 40k minimum

georgesnmith

Juniors

keep fighting the good fight

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
You are wrong.

Carlton and Collingwood had home games and got poor crowds.

Looks like we are not the only ones struggling a bit this year.

24,460 is a poor crowd by AFL standards - but against PORT, barely.

If Canterbury v Brisbane round one got 24,460 we all would have been like... Nice.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Do the Roosters usually pull a good crowd? Could be a few great crowds this week

No not usually at all. I remember in 2005 we got 35k.

Since then its usually been mid to high 20's, I think the last time we had a home game v Roosters was 2010 on a monday night and that drew 26k.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
perhaps with the addition of another brisbane NRL club will give all these the boost they need to send their crowds higher

titans and cowboys should be over 20k, and the broncos 40k minimum

If Cowboys should be averaging 20k - So should Parramatta, Penrith, Cronulla and Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts