What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springs

First Grade
The superstars are 1 thing, i mean I'm always of the impression that if someone wants to leave whether they're unhappy or for financial reasons then let them. Everybody is replaceable and for every SBW and Sam Burgess that leave there is another George Burgess or Boyd Coydner to replace them.

Putting all that aside in my opinion most of the games themselves have been average border-lining on boring. I could barely finish watching the Titans v Sharks game last friday night and even the Souths v Manly game hardly looked like 2 top 4 teams going at it.

Anybody else notice the same thing?

That's what I'm talking about. Isn't having George and Sam in the same team better than just George?

Bronco Rob

Juniors
So the Titans have a bad crowd which was actually better than Penrith's and Cronulla's forst home games and we should kick them out??? A sunny hot Sunday with the Titans playing touted 2014 wooden spooners in the Tigers.

There is also not a chance that the Suns had a crowd of 19k, the stadium's capacity is 25k and the stands were only half full. I saw some of the game and the camera side was just about empty but you could only see that on the occasional shot from a different camera angle.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Another week of NRL, another week with fairly poor attendances.

Mate and I drove all the way up to Gosford for the game which was ok as it is a nice drive up.

1 thing that did get me thinking as we drove back to Sydney after the game was does the average supporter really get "value for money" at an NRL game?

So far this year I have attended 2 NRL games and watched about 6 other full games on TV and I must admit that even as a die hard NRL fan there's just something missing this year.

Maybe it's the lack on stars on teams like the Tigers, Dragons, Eels, Raiders or Knights to name a few I don't really know but there's just something that's missing. To me most of the NRL games that I have watched this year including the game on friday night at Gosford have all been missing that WOW factor.

So far I really haven't seen a game that had any sort of WOW factor, anybody else feel the same?

Is there really much value for the average supporter to pay $40-$60 to go to an NRL game?

I think you hit the nail on the head there - post GFC, most people and families have other needs than spending $40 plus on a football game.

Valheru

Coach
][/COLOR]
No not usually at all. I remember in 2005 we got 35k.
Since then its usually been mid to high 20's, I think the last time we had a home game v Roosters was 2010 on a monday night and that drew 26k.

2005 and 2010 are the only times since 2004 you have played us at home (which is criminal) and as you said the last one was a Monday night.

Hopefully this one gets 40k

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
2005 and 2010 are the only times since 2004 you have played us at home (which is criminal) and as you said the last one was a Monday night.

Hopefully this one gets 40k

Yeah its bonkers.

I think it needs more of a build up after the Cowboys game to reach 40k.

Im thinking anywhere from 30-35.

Poor weather is due to arrive Thursday and remain wet Friday, won't stop me but obviously will deter families.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
So the Titans have a bad crowd which was actually better than Penrith's and Cronulla's forst home games and we should kick them out??? A sunny hot Sunday with the Titans playing touted 2014 wooden spooners in the Tigers.

There is also not a chance that the Suns had a crowd of 19k, the stadium's capacity is 25k and the stands were only half full. I saw some of the game and the camera side was just about empty but you could only see that on the occasional shot from a different camera angle.

Nah most of the upper tier was fairly booked. Especially around the pocket.. I tuned in the last half and was fairly surprised at how full it looked.

betcats

Referee
So the Suns who have never won a game(i think) have out drawn the Titans? Lol damn, that isnt good.

Atleast we still beat the A league most of the time..

guyver78

Juniors
That's what I'm talking about. Isn't having George and Sam in the same team better than just George?

Yeah but players leaving is just a part of the game that happens to all codes and still only one of the factors for the NRL and why they cant pull in a crowd to any game.

What I'm questioning is with all the games that have been played so far is there really any value for money for the average supporter to turn up and watch an NRL game? Is it really that much of a surprise to everybody that most people on the Gold Coast choose to go to the beach instead of watching the Titans play?

seanoff

Juniors
keep fighting the good fight

no, just not delusional.

any comparisons in this forum to AFL crowds should be kept to wanting to get to those numbers, anything else is just idiotic. esp given the AFL look to have deliberately scheduled a low key rd1 with rds2 and 3 being much more heavy hitting.

as with the NRL i would let the AFL play out over a much longer period before drawing any conclusions on the +s or -s of the crowds.

except for the Titans, who straight up lied about the number of people there and not for the first time.

Last edited:

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Nah most of the upper tier was fairly booked. Especially around the pocket.. I tuned in the last half and was fairly surprised at how full it looked.

Like I said the camera side was very empty not the side the camera was facing. Even then it can be a little deceiving because of the colour of the seats in the stand, you have to look twice to see that they are empty and not fans with the Suns colours.

in 1995 we used to get around 60k rugby league fans to games in brisbane

20 years on with population growth of around 1 million and now the game gets 33k

great result eh?

Part of it might be the Broncos ticket pricing structure. It would be the priciest I have experienced in the NRL. I mean for a category 1 seat, pre-purchase price is $79.00 for an adult. I would shudder to look at the prices if I bought at the ground on game day :shock:

georgesnmith

Juniors
no, just not delusional.

any comparisons in this forum to AFL crowds should be kept to wanting to get to those numbers, anything else is just idiotic. esp given the AFL look to have deliberately scheduled a low key rd1 with rds2 and 3 being much more heavy hitting.

as with the NRL i would let the AFL play out over a much longer period before drawing any conclusions on the +s or -s of the crowds.

except for the Titans, who straight up lied about the number of people there and not for the first time.

i didnt say you were delusional.

try reading the post before going off on another pro AFL induced rant

georgesnmith

Juniors
Part of it might be the Broncos ticket pricing structure. It would be the priciest I have experienced in the NRL. I mean for a category 1 seat, pre-purchase price is $79.00 for an adult. I would shudder to look at the prices if I bought at the ground on game day :shock:

if so thats crazy

they should aim for sellouts, at least reduce the price of the cheaper tix to $15 for example

if they were getting it sold out every week it would be a good look for the game

realistically brisbane are the only club we have now who could get 40 - 50k each week

i really believe if the broncos wanted to they could sell out every week.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah but players leaving is just a part of the game that happens to all codes and still only one of the factors for the NRL and why they cant pull in a crowd to any game.

What I'm questioning is with all the games that have been played so far is there really any value for money for the average supporter to turn up and watch an NRL game? Is it really that much of a surprise to everybody that most people on the Gold Coast choose to go to the beach instead of watching the Titans play?

I spent two grand for me and the mrs to watch the storms first home game. It was worth every cent! Brilliant game and what an experience for my first game at aami. Great stadium, well presented, great view, outstanding game and rocking atmosphere. Sorry but you do not get any of that watching on tv. Simply do not understand people who think watching their team on TV is better than going to the game and cheering them on. Maybe you should live without a team for a few years and realise what you would miss!

Matchball

Bench
Just watched the Raiders Knights replay.
The crowd seem usually fat up there or is this common for Australia now?
Seems like obesity has really taken hold since I left.

Haven't lived there since 05 so I'm out of touch.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
if so thats crazy

they should aim for sellouts, at least reduce the price of the cheaper tix to $15 for example

if they were getting it sold out every week it would be a good look for the game

realistically brisbane are the only club we have now who could get 40 - 50k each week

i really believe if the broncos wanted to they could sell out every week.

Cheapest Broncos tickets at the gate after transaction and credit card fees exceed $40 per adult.

If adult tickets were $15 - yes it would sell out every week, and everyone would love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts