What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgesnmith

Juniors
realistically rugby league crowds cant grow without lots of games at ANZ stadium.

in AFL most of the games at the MCG have 40 - 60k empty seats and none of them bat an eyelid

everyone praises the AFL for having such "wonderful" crowds

when the NRL tries to emulate this the media complain saying how bad a 30k crowd looks in an 83k stadium

i hope the ARLC ignores the media and keeps trying to grow crowds

in ten years time if they are getting 40 - 60k for club games no-one is going to remember what phil rothfield said 10 years ago .....the guy would probably have carked it by then anyway due to liver failure

betcats

Referee
12k? No wonder there was no atmosphere.

It didnt look like 12k on tv, looked like 8-9. But Monday night footy at ANZ against the Sharks without Gallen, Carney, Fifita, Lewis, Flanno.....just getting 10k would be an achievement.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
realistically rugby league crowds cant grow without lots of games at ANZ stadium.

in AFL most of the games at the MCG have 40 - 60k empty seats and none of them bat an eyelid

everyone praises the AFL for having such "wonderful" crowds

when the NRL tries to emulate this the media complain saying how bad a 30k crowd looks in an 83k stadium

i hope the ARLC ignores the media and keeps trying to grow crowds

in ten years time if they are getting 40 - 60k for club games no-one is going to remember what phil rothfield said 10 years ago .....the guy would probably have carked it by then anyway due to liver failure

The problem is never a 30k crowd, it's when there's so many 10-15k crowds in an 83k seat stadium.

Valheru

Coach
So the Suns who have never won a game(i think) have out drawn the Titans? Lol damn, that isnt good.
Atleast we still beat the A league most of the time..

The suns won 8 games last year and TBH have more promise than the Titans at the moment. A lot of the reported GWS/Suns crowds in the past have been questionable but the Suns game last week looked quite full.

Gold Coast is notorious for abandoning a team after a few years though so we will see what happens.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The problem is never a 30k crowd, it's when there's so many 10-15k crowds in an 83k seat stadium.

Of four games there this season, there's been ONE of those, on a MONDAY night.

The other three were edging on 20k, plus one nearer to 30k.

The next one will be 20k+ this Friday night with Tigers v Bunnies. Rabbitohs Raiders in R6 will be a worry, but then we've got Good Friday which *should* be 35-40k hopefully, depending on club form.

That will mean after 7 games at the stadium over the opening 7 round, only one, possibly two of those "so many 10-15k crowds".

ek999

First Grade
Of four games there this season, there's been ONE of those, on a MONDAY night.

The other three were edging on 20k, plus one nearer to 30k.

The next one will be 20k+ this Friday night with Tigers v Bunnies. Rabbitohs Raiders in R6 will be a worry, but then we've got Good Friday which *should* be 35-40k hopefully, depending on club form.

That will mean after 7 games at the stadium over the opening 7 round, only one, possibly two of those "so many 10-15k crowds".

I would hope not, it was 51,700 last year

ek999

First Grade
On last nights crowd, the Bulldogs took it to Gosford on a Sunday afternoon and it only got just over 10k so a 20% improvement on a Monday night is a good result

Dogs Of War

Coach
On last nights crowd, the Bulldogs took it to Gosford on a Sunday afternoon and it only got just over 10k so a 20% improvement on a Monday night is a good result

The game vs the Sharks looks like a perfect one for the Bulldogs to take to the bush. Don't forget that last night was a buy one get one ticket free night. You can't compare it to Gosford, where members had to buy tickets, so 10K at Gosford may have been better financially than ANZ where members got in free, and any other losses due to crowd strategy.

guyver78

Juniors
Not quite true.

If you have Plus or better ticketed membership, you have reciprocal access.

Core or less ticketed membership, you don't have reciprocal access.

Best be checking the option on the back of your season ticket.

All Souths full season ticket holders Reserved/GA have reciprocal rights to the Tigers game this Friday night.

Reserved Members are stuck on Level 4 East and GA are stuck behind the Posts.

This is why ANZ looked so empty on TV during the Dragons v Tigers game in Round 1. All the Tigers Reserved ticketed members were up on Level 4 East. Either the Dragons dont have that many reserved season ticket holders or they just simply went to the beach as it was a nice day.

Saint Doc

Coach
This is a radical idea and one that would piss of a lot off my fellow Saints supporters, and to be honest, I'm pissing myself off by saying it.

But last night's game would be perfect at kogarah.

Canterbury district, bankstown district and Sutherland shire all border the st George district.

A crowd of 12-15,000 actually looks pretty good inside

guyver78

Juniors
The game vs the Sharks looks like a perfect one for the Bulldogs to take to the bush. Don't forget that last night was a buy one get one ticket free night. You can't compare it to Gosford, where members had to buy tickets, so 10K at Gosford may have been better financially than ANZ where members got in free, and any other losses due to crowd strategy.

Also it looked like there was probably about 5 Sharks supporters there. They just don't have any supporters whatsoever so anytime the Sharks play away they'd be lucky is 1000 of their supporters even turned up.

guyver78

Juniors
Round 3

Tigers v souths 27k
Broncos v Roosters 33k
Penrith v Bulldogs 17k
Sharks v dragons 17k
Cowboys v Warriors 15k
Manly v parra 14k
Raiders v titans 9k
Storm v knights 13k

Total = 145k, av = 18k

Tigers v souths 27k - DREAMING probably just over 20,000
Broncos v Roosters 33k Yeah around about that.
Penrith v Bulldogs 17k DREAMING I'd say 10,000-12,000
Sharks v dragons 17k DREAMING I'd say 13,000-15,000
Cowboys v Warriors 15k Maybe I'd say 10,000-12,000
Manly v parra 14k Yeah sounds about right
Raiders v titans 9k Sounds about right, maybe just under.
Storm v knights 13k Sounds about right, maybe just under

Brutus

Referee
This is a radical idea and one that would piss of a lot off my fellow Saints supporters, and to be honest, I'm pissing myself off by saying it.

But last night's game would be perfect at kogarah.

Canterbury district, bankstown district and Sutherland shire all border the st George district.

A crowd of 12-15,000 actually looks pretty good inside

A 12k crowd looks shit at Kogarah. Too many empty seats behind the northern goal posts.

12k looks pretty good at Brookie or Leichhardt though.

elbusto

Coach
Round 3

Tigers v souths 27k
Broncos v Roosters 33k
Penrith v Bulldogs 17k
Sharks v dragons 17k
Cowboys v Warriors 15k
Manly v parra 14k
Raiders v titans 9k
Storm v knights 13k

Total = 145k, av = 18k

Tigers v souths 27k -20k
Broncos v Roosters 33k - 37k
Penrith v Bulldogs 17k - 17k
Sharks v dragons 17k - 18k
Cowboys v Warriors 15k - 15k
Manly v parra 14k - 14k
Raiders v titans 9k - 11k
Storm v knights 13k-13k

Total = 145k, av = 18k

If we do crack that figure our crowds will be 27000 higher after three rounds compared to last year.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
A 12k crowd looks shit at Kogarah. Too many empty seats behind the northern goal posts.

12k looks pretty good at Brookie or Leichhardt though.

1. Perhaps, but 12k kogarah looks 10x better than 12k homebush
2. My point was given the location you'd attract more than 12k IMO

guyver78

Juniors
I spent two grand for me and the mrs to watch the storms first home game. It was worth every cent! Brilliant game and what an experience for my first game at aami. Great stadium, well presented, great view, outstanding game and rocking atmosphere. Sorry but you do not get any of that watching on tv. Simply do not understand people who think watching their team on TV is better than going to the game and cheering them on. Maybe you should live without a team for a few years and realise what you would miss!

Come on mate, whilst I agree with you about the part of "being there as opposed to watching the game on tv" part you're an exception to the rule.

How is it worth paying $100 Plus for the average couple to see a 2 hour footy game? In the end "its just a footy game" and way too much for what they are offering. People have kids, mortgages and bills to pay. The NRL need to swallow their pride and lower these prices drastically to permanently to get crowds back.

In 2002-2004 a reserved ticket was $20-$25 at the SFS where Souths played their home games. The same ticket today is $45-$60 and I don't know anybody who's wages doubled during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.