What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Quality troll.

I'm not trolling. The baseball will get about 80,000 people this weekend. I bet plenty of those would be regular league attendants who chose the Baseball because it's a once in a generation event when they can go see their footy team next week or the week after and another dozen times this year.

They could have easily not scheduled Sydney games on the days of the baseball, we played 7 games in Sydney in round 1 we could have had the majority of this weeks games outside of Sydney.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Nobody in their right mind is saying Baseball is taking over. But it is a novelty event, it is a one off, it will get 80000 in 2 days. The NRL should have seen this and been a little smarter with scheduling.

Nobody in their right mind is saying Baseball is taking over. But it is a novelty event, it is a one off, it will get 80000 in 2 days. The NRL should have seen this and been a little smarter with scheduling.

But the AFL didn't move any of its matches this weekend...

BunniesMan

Immortal
Who f**king cares about what the AFL did or didn't do in an NRL crowd thread.

Point is the NRL should have made better decisions this week.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Watching the Penrith game for the first time this morning and I don't see were some forumers are getting this suggestion the crowd was larger than reported. Gaps in seating on both sides, both hills looked like taking a few thousand more before being full. Reported crowd looks right to me

Clearly the storms movig through the west and the shire kept a few away tonight. I for one wouldn't want to be out and exposed to autumn storms

As someone who's been to Penrith multiple times and was there last night - I'll eat my hat if there was 7,000 free seats/plots of grass last night. There were limited spaces in each stand and both hills were pretty thick with people. I would've guessed 15-15.5k. I think 13,291 is well under the actual figure.

Baseball - the elephant in the room...

I love bagging BM as much as the next guy and maybe "once in a century event" is a bit OTT but the point remains - a major one-off event has the capacity to attract people away from making a choice to watch NRL. Fact. End of story.

BunniesMan

Immortal
MLB hasn't played a game in Australia in a hundred years. Once in a century is accurate.

For a lot of people, including many footy fans, seeing the Baseball this weekend would have been a priority. Just like it would have been in Melbourne if they played it there. It's had a lot of hype and people love a novelty show.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
As someone who's been to Penrith multiple times and was there last night - I'll eat my hat if there was 7,000 free seats/plots of grass last night. There were limited spaces in each stand and both hills were pretty thick with people. I would've guessed 15-15.5k. I think 13,291 is well under the actual figure.

I love bagging BM as much as the next guy and maybe "once in a century event" is a bit OTT but the point remains - a major one-off event has the capacity to attract people away from making a choice to watch NRL. Fact. End of story.

Perhaps someone who uses Twitter can ask Gus to clarify the crowd figure

Flapper

First Grade
Some teams may overstate their crowd numbers, but really no team should understate them.

I agree, I guess we'll see when a typically low drawing Panthers game has about 3k more people in the announced figure than is there.

Flapper

First Grade
All this talk about scheduling games around one off events is nonsense. These things happen, its not enough of a drop to warrant f**king with things. I would've been at ANZ on Friday but I was at the Neil Finn concert instead. A one off event, I'll be at the next Tigers game, no sweat.

Craigshark

First Grade
It poured down with hail about an hour or 90 mins before kick off in the Shire.. Definitely would have kept a few away.. Not mentioning the fact we're 0/2 (now 0/3), and half our side was on the sidelines. I thought the crowd was solid.

taipan

Referee
Very disappointing crowd at Shark Park.

You do realise that a storms was on its way at 4.45pm,and lightning popped up now and again.
Then about 20 minutes of rain prior to the game and during.I was surprised they got close to 15,000 under prevailing conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.