What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbusto

Coach
It poured down with hail about an hour or 90 mins before kick off in the Shire.. Definitely would have kept a few away.. Not mentioning the fact we're 0/2 (now 0/3), and half our side was on the sidelines. I thought the crowd was solid.
I was at the Club and a lot there decided to stay indoors once that weather started.

I think you can assume there were a good number of people who chose the safety of the bars and auditorium to avoid the rain.

I do not know why to be honest.

Saint Doc

Coach
It poured down with hail about an hour or 90 mins before kick off in the Shire.. Definitely would have kept a few away.. Not mentioning the fact we're 0/2 (now 0/3), and half our side was on the sidelines. I thought the crowd was solid.

I was on the train with a mate and as we went through jannali the hail started.

We spent the next 5 mins discussing alternative plans...stay on the train and find a pub in cronulla, head straight back to a local pub, or wait it out at wooloware. Luckily by the time we got there the rain had eased and in this day of smart phones we got the BOM radar on the phone and it looked like it would pass. But I can EASILY understand people who hadn't left yet deciding to stay at home or the pub they were at. Especially for $35 to stand on a muddy wet hill with no protection

oikee

Juniors
Really good crowds at the games this weekend. Probably too good, it's all downhill from here.

One point i will make, the blockbuster between dragons and sharks. ? 15 thousand.

Now imagine this,,,, Blockbuster between Perth /Storm, Broncos /Brisbane 11.
Brisbane 11 verse Brisbane 111.

30,,,40,,,even 50 thousand.

Now picture this, sharks/cows at sharkie park wet monday night. ? 2 thousand.
Now picture this, Brisbane 111 verse Cows at Suncorp Monday night, ??? 20 thousand.

Monday nights are killing the game anyhow, but when you have two teams that struggle for crowds anyhow having to play Monday night footy, even the Titans, "it is like signing a death warrant".

The longer the game stays out of Brisbane, the easier it is getting for other codes to stamp their success in Brisbane.
Brisbane needs 3 teams. 4 would be better.

The game needs more than one game played in Brisbane every week or two.
They should have at least one game every Friday, plus another game for Saturday arvo or Sunday arvo.

Most big cities are saturated by one of the codes, except Brisbane, and we are supposed to be league territory.
Dave Smith has to step in for the good of the code. It cant keep going the way it is, we will just waste 50 million every year propping up bad decisions.
4 million here for the Tigers, 4 million their to the Eels, 4 million for the Titans, 2 million here for the dragons,,,,, 1 dollar for the knights,,, gee whiz, how much longer we going to prop these clubs up.
Its madness, and businesses everywhere are closing down.
League will be next if we dont buy a couple of brass balls.

Canard

Immortal
As someone who's been to Penrith multiple times and was there last night - I'll eat my hat if there was 7,000 free seats/plots of grass last night. There were limited spaces in each stand and both hills were pretty thick with people. I would've guessed 15-15.5k. I think 13,291 is well under the actual figure.

I love bagging BM as much as the next guy and maybe "once in a century event" is a bit OTT but the point remains - a major one-off event has the capacity to attract people away from making a choice to watch NRL. Fact. End of story.

If your going to stage the entire schedule around novelty events, where does it end? Rock concerts? Festivals, Car racing? It's just becomes a bit silly.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Or just limit NRL to one game a year to build up anticipation. Maybe stake out a patch of grass near the Opera House, play it just before the fireworks. 5 a side. Think of the average crowd figure!

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Looks jammed at manly.

But they will probably post 13792

If we are ever gonna get to a 20k average ??

We need manly v parramatta and saints v sharks

To be posting 25k minimum

BunniesMan

Immortal
Manly and Cronulla people are generally very insular types. They're not going to travel to a home game in the city. A Manly finals game got about 20k a few years ago at SFS.

But these clubs will just continue to be left behind if they keep it up.

ceagle

Bench
It was packed out last week and they only posted 14.5k. Not sure if the ground has shrunk or they have gotten worse at recording attendance.

t-ba

Post Whore
It was packed out last week and they only posted 14.5k. Not sure if the ground has shrunk or they have gotten worse at recording attendance.

Would not be surprised if some clubs are 'banking' numbers for the inevitable SoO clusterf**k.

ceagle

Bench
Would not be surprised if some clubs are 'banking' numbers for the inevitable SoO clusterf**k.
Or maybe we are trying to avoid the taxman? Would explain how we are now in the black financially after we were doing so bad only a few years ago.

ratsack2

Juniors
nah it is none of that, with the increasing expansion of the waist line of the average aussie, grounds that used to fit in 20,000 easily are now down to a capacity of 15,000 if we went by pound for pound comparisons from 30 years ago todays crowds would be bigger

WaznTheGreat

Referee
14,138 at the Manwee game,good job Manwee you almost got more than what the wooden spooners got last week(whilst we played against an out of town team)

Manwee Sea Plods

Status
Not open for further replies.