What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWB

Bench
Canberra are a great club and when they're on a high can attract some very good crowds with a great atmosphere.

Dave is just a bit deluded.

Paullyboy

Coach
To be fair, there's no point talking about a good club with a rooster fan. Anyone who takes joy in supporting a cheque book is a bit confused.

mxlegend99

Referee
Canberra are a good club. Without teams like the Raiders, Panthers, Eels and so on who may not always deliver results on the field, other teams wouldnt be able to raid them and boost their own clubs with the juniors they develop.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Can the games this weekend pull bigger crowds then they did last year?

Rabbitohs v Roosters 59,708
Bulldogs v Broncos 11,344
Panthers v Knights 10,240
Sea Eagles v Storm 17,179
Cowboys v Raiders 13,240
Dragons v Tigers 15,016
Eels v Warriors 13,351
Sharks v Titans 17,541

won't beat the first crowd on that list or the last
the rest should be easily

the 35,952 for the opener last year on a Thursday should be beaten this year
anything less then that will be an utter disgrace
it should get 40,000 minimum.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
SOU/SYD - 39,000
CBY/BRI - 23,000
PEN/NEW - 14,000
MAN/MEL - 13,500
NQL/CAN - 16,000
SGI/WST - 21,000
PAR/WAR - 14,000
CRO/GLD - 13,000

153,500. Not good.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
the 18k for the tahs/reds, the 12k for WSW/Jets, 1k for the swans and 6k for CCM/SFC all in Sydney over the weekend makes 30-35k for Roosters/Rabbits not so bad. it should be more but it isn't the worst result.

Timmah

Staff member
18k tahs/reds and 6.5k CCM/SFC were a direct result of pouring rain and for the latter, poor recent form/negative press for each side.

12k for WSW/Jets was the result of a major protest by the active support of the Wanderers as well.

I think I'd call last weekend the outlier rather than the norm, and I wouldn't be judging any Souths/Roosters opening round crowd as a yardstick for it.

Card Shark

Immortal
the 18k for the tahs/reds, the 12k for WSW/Jets, 1k for the swans and 6k for CCM/SFC all in Sydney over the weekend makes 30-35k for Roosters/Rabbits not so bad. it should be more but it isn't the worst result.

Agree. I don't get the panic about smallish crowds.

Whilst it's not ideal, our game is made for TV & that's what brings in a large % of revenue.

As you say Eddie, Sydney people won't / don't go to games, no matter what it is.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
The NFL is also a good tv sport. Most stadiums sell out weekly. I support the Raiders and it stinks that our crowds are terrible. Unfortunately most teams have huge bandwagon support. But unlike most teams we generally sucked so bad in the front office in terms of marketing and our performances have been terrible that I'm glad we finished the year 2013 away from home!

Eddie Lab

Juniors
18k tahs/reds and 6.5k CCM/SFC were a direct result of pouring rain and for the latter, poor recent form/negative press for each side.

12k for WSW/Jets was the result of a major protest by the active support of the Wanderers as well.

I think I'd call last weekend the outlier rather than the norm, and I wouldn't be judging any Souths/Roosters opening round crowd as a yardstick for it.

I agree those factors were involved but these crowds should have been all big games. tahs/red is half of what it got two years ago and the soccer games all involved NSW teams. I don't think the blood letting for the roosters/rabbits game is necessary for 30k crowd on a Thursday night.

Timmah

Staff member
All the numbers I've predicted, I feel, are above average given the fixtures. I guess compared to past opening rounds it's a rather uninspiring draw, that's all.

Card Shark

Immortal
All the numbers I've predicted, I feel, are above average given the fixtures. I guess compared to past opening rounds it's a rather uninspiring draw, that's all.

Isn't it a similar opening round draw to recent years?

Timmah

Staff member
Only 3 matching fixtures from R1 last season (SOU/SYD, PAR/WAR and CRO/GLD). The rest are different. Brisbane played Manly, Canterbury played NQ, Penrith hosted Canberra, Newcastle were against the Tigers. Dragons went to Melbourne.

It's always hard to get an opening round right but I think people are justifiably worried about potentially poor crowds this week.

fanatique

Juniors
are there 25k easts fans in the world?

If by "fans" you mean potential matchgoing fans to anything but a Grand Final then no there are not 25,000 Easts fans.

Realistically I think 15,000 Easts would be a massive massive turnout. Add about 30,000 Souths at the outside and you get about 45,000. I think it'll be about that. If it breaks 50K then great. I hope it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.