What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Mk 3

cleary89

Coach
I'd say we have a lot older members who jumped on board during the glory years.

Oh and pretty sure I like most of the teams on fb...

belmore eel

Juniors
I agree....and we am not making an anti Dragons or Tgers point.

It is surprising to see the Dragons as relatively low as they are.

I think it is age profile. The Dragons glory days are decades ago and really needa sustained period up and about to see the Army fill up with the kids of now middle aged Red and white army members.

They are very similar to the AFL Richmond Tigers. Decades of relative anonymity seeing a drop off in youth support but the capacity to grow very quickly given sustained success.
the only problem with that arguement is that they have had alot of successful seasons, 4 grandfinals in the 90's , semi finals in just about every year in the 2000's, minor premierships and a premiership. Thats a lot of success compared to say souths and even parra who have alot more fb fans. Fb pages tend to grow rapidly when teams are going well. I think we all overestimated their popularity due to their famous history, they should be doing alot better with the injection of additional fans from illawarra

flamin

Juniors
Facebook "likes" are a fantastic way of assessing armchair fanbase because they are so easy. Ratings are similar. No need for any effort.

The Dogs probably have the largest matchgoing fanbase in NSW but the Eels probably have the biggest armchair/barstool/passive fanbase. They are comfortably ahead of all other Sydney clubs in facebook likes.

Dogs have 105,000 likes on facebook. Souths have 110,000. The Eels have over 145,000. Comfortably ahead of any NSW club.

The reason 2009 remains the rating benchmark is because the Eels were playing and they have the biggest armchair fanbase in NSW.

By hte way I don't support the Eels.
Melbourne have 187k members....

Trentosaurus

Juniors
I'd say we have a lot older members who jumped on board during the glory years.
Just about every rugby league fan I know who is about 55+ loves the Dragons. They've definitely got a solid supporter base stemming from the glory years which wouldn't translate into Facebook likes.

DIOGENES

Juniors
A few under 83K at the grandfinal means that the record aggregate and average was missed by 4.5 K and 25 per game.

I blame Manly - 16K at a week 2 final - you have got to be kidding.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A few under 83K at the grandfinal means that the record aggregate and average was missed by 4.5 K and 25 per game.

I blame Manly - 16K at a week 2 final - you have got to be kidding.

I blame my own team. 7 crowds under 10k this year.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
What is with Rabbits and crowds...

How many times did we hear, "The season started with a full house and ended with a full house"

He failed to mention there was only 2 other lock outs in the middle....

MEE.

Juniors
May of been a ground record but it sounded like 5,000 people were there. Atmosphere was awful. Sorry.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
First 30 and last 20 were electric. In between it was dead.

Great crowd though, especially given it was a sellout. As I understand though the capacity is up to 84k now?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Lack of crowd mics has been a problem for a while, the atmosphere rarely comes across on tv at most NRL grounds. The A-league coverage on fox is the only sport that seems to get additional crowd mic's, there were times when gold coast united existed that 2,000 odd fans sounded louder than 15,000 titans fans

Latest posts