What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Mk 3

Surfbear

Juniors
Just bought my Grand Final ticket. 2nd row from the fence near the half way line, eastern side. Though it does say 'restricted view'?

belmore eel

Juniors
tv ratings from the 3 big prelim finals in sydney

2012 - dogs v rabbits - 704k in syd & 1.043 mil national

2010 - dragons v tigers - 697k in syd & 1.032 mil national

2009 - eels v dogs - 765k in syd & 1.213 mil national

2009 is still the benchmark for crowd and tv ratings

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Was behind the posts in the lower in doggies end. Have to say Doggies easily had more there IMO

Fantastic atmosphere regardless and was gutted for souths who i was cheering for despite being in the doggies end

Brutus

Referee

The hype was the major difference.

Compare the lack of hype for the Dogs v Bunnies to the Eels v Dogs frenzy.

belmore eel

Juniors

yeah, cant understand why there wasnt as much hype, especially when u consider it was souths biggest game in many decades & and both teams playing very exciting footy, not to mention some superstar players

bobmar28

Bench

Did you include GEM for the 2012 result?

fanatique

Juniors

Facebook "likes" are a fantastic way of assessing armchair fanbase because they are so easy. Ratings are similar. No need for any effort.

The Dogs probably have the largest matchgoing fanbase in NSW but the Eels probably have the biggest armchair/barstool/passive fanbase. They are comfortably ahead of all other Sydney clubs in facebook likes.

Dogs have 105,000 likes on facebook. Souths have 110,000. The Eels have over 145,000. Comfortably ahead of any NSW club.

The reason 2009 remains the rating benchmark is because the Eels were playing and they have the biggest armchair fanbase in NSW.

By hte way I don't support the Eels.

Brutus

Referee
Facebook "likes" are a fantastic way of assessing armchair fanbase because they are so easy. Ratings are similar. No need for any effort.

The Dogs probably have the largest matchgoing fanbase in NSW but the Eels probably have the biggest armchair/barstool/passive fanbase. They are comfortably ahead of all other Sydney clubs in facebook likes.

Dogs have 105,000 likes on facebook. Souths have 110,000. The Eels have over 145,000. Comfortably ahead of any NSW club.

The reason 2009 remains the rating benchmark is because the Eels were playing and they have the biggest armchair fanbase in NSW.

But the media build up was bigger than anything I've seen for an NRL match - even bigger than GFs.

ouwet

Bench
Let's get one thing straight about 2009 and Bulldogs V South Sydney in 2012...

2012 got a crowd of 70K+ with barely any media coverage!! It was Pathetic and down right embarrassing! The media concentrated the whole week on the Referee's, Kieran Foran try against the Cowboys and Paul Kent had his usual agenda about the Bulldogs and Wrestling (Even though all teams do it). This game ALSO had to compete with the Swans V Collingwood match and the DT Love of AFL. Let's be honest as well, the Swans game would've taken a few supporters from the NRL (Sports lovers who choose one or the other + ANZ members who choose one or the other).

2009 got 74K You had non stop coverage of Parramatta and the "Hayne Train"... Everyday the DT/SMH was full of Hayne and Parramatta, the game was built up as the biggest rivalry in NRL (80's etc), it was unbelievable the coverage it got from all sources of media (Radio, TV, Newspaper, Internet etc)...

IMO if anything the crowd in 2012 was better then 2009 considering the above...

Brutus

Referee
Let's get one thing straight about 2009 and Bulldogs V South Sydney in 2012...

2012 got a crowd of 70K+ with barely any media coverage!! It was Pathetic and down right embarrassing! The media concentrated the whole week on the Referee's, Kieran Foran try against the Cowboys and Paul Kent had his usual agenda about the Bulldogs and Wrestling (Even though all teams do it). This game ALSO had to compete with the Swans V Collingwood match and the DT Love of AFL. Let's be honest as well, the Swans game would've taken a few supporters from the NRL (Sports lovers who choose one or the other + ANZ members who choose one or the other).

2009 got 74K You had non stop coverage of Parramatta and the "Hayne Train"... Everyday the DT/SMH was full of Hayne and Parramatta, the game was built up as the biggest rivalry in NRL (80's etc), it was unbelievable the coverage it got from all sources of media (Radio, TV, Newspaper, Internet etc)...

IMO if anything the crowd in 2012 was better then 2009 considering the above...

Fully agree.

I guess the only thing going againstthat is the fact Dogs v Eels was a Friday nightet.

belmore eel

Juniors

agree about facebook likes, coz more than 8 million aussies on facebook gives the biggest sample group. Also you wouldnt clog up yr fb by liking things that yr not interested in, so i think its a pretty good indicator. Tv ratings are probably not as good, coz even teams with very small supporter bases like sharks and panthers can attract similar tv ratings to the more popular clubs. Most games are played at different time slots so footy fans would just watch whatever game is on regardless of who is playing

belmore eel

Juniors
Fully agree.

I guess the only thing going againstthat is the fact Dogs v Eels was a Friday nightet.
2009 recorded the most ticket sales in shortest time frame ie. 74,500 in 5 days. If the match was on the saturday night, with beautiful weather like we had last week, im sure the crowd woulda got close to 80k. The dogs rabbits game wouldev been about 65k if it was played on friday

i was at the game as a neutral with two families of dogs fans that travelled from the south coast, they would not have been there if it was on the friday due to work commitments

i should also add that the atmosphere was excellent, alot better than 2010 when i was sitting near dragon army, felt very sorry for rabbit fans, but dogs fans give u a hammering when they're winning

Last edited:

belmore eel

Juniors

you know, its strange that the dragons and tigers who many considered to be the most popular clubs in sydney ( especially since they are both mergers ) have very average facebook likes - dragons about 75k & tigers about 86k

fanatique

Juniors
you know, its strange that the dragons and tigers who many considered to be the most popular clubs in sydney ( especially since they are both mergers ) have very average facebook likes - dragons about 75k & tigers about 86k

I agree....and we am not making an anti Dragons or Tgers point.

It is surprising to see the Dragons as relatively low as they are.

I think it is age profile. The Dragons glory days are decades ago and really needa sustained period up and about to see the Army fill up with the kids of now middle aged Red and white army members.

They are very similar to the AFL Richmond Tigers. Decades of relative anonymity seeing a drop off in youth support but the capacity to grow very quickly given sustained success.

Latest posts