What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad went on those semi final bus trips from Ncle for many years. They got killed off 5 or so years back with home semis in other cities, states.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not surprised or disappointed in today's crowd. 6 v 7 outdrew 2 v 3, that's a fair achievement in itself. It's also 2,000 more than the Dogs/Knights Week 1 final in 2009 drew, so I'd call that an improvement.

Add in the extra difficulty for Knights fans (and Dogs fans living up north) having the trains off due to trackwork and to bring in 23k isn't a bad knock IMO

ag6858

Juniors
I'm not surprised or disappointed in today's crowd. 6 v 7 outdrew 2 v 3, that's a fair achievement in itself. It's also 2,000 more than the Dogs/Knights Week 1 final in 2009 drew, so I'd call that an improvement.

Add in the extra difficulty for Knights fans (and Dogs fans living up north) having the trains off due to trackwork and to bring in 23k isn't a bad knock IMO

I think you're forgetting that the 2009 game was an 8:30pm match, making it less enticing for families to attend.

newman

First Grade
I thought it was absolutely magnificent being at the SFS in the sunshine yesterday. Are you telling me now that there are no more day games for the rest of the season?

The quality of the football alone on a dry track should be enough reason to play at least one semi per weekend in the daytime, let alone the crowd factor.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think you're forgetting that the 2009 game was an 8:30pm match, making it less enticing for families to attend.
That negates the trackwork excuse maybe... so a 2,000 improvement still is a pass mark IMO

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
That negates the trackwork excuse maybe... so a 2,000 improvement still is a pass mark IMO

Pass mark yeah, but still not what it should be.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the two clubs with the highest membership and crowd average in Sydney should be drawing 25'000+ to home finals.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ahhh the days of the 1994 finals series. Sure there was no live TV back then (unless you had WIN TV), but each game drew over 33k at the SFS and that included out of town team Brisbane and Canberra.

I seem to remember they were live on Saturdays and also live on the ABC with Boland and John Peard.

But you're right, back then every semi before the GF drew at least over 30,000.

Even the Broncos/Steelers game in 92 got a big crowd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbf 1994 was the highest point the game has been at. Excitement of expansion and strong marketing, game was buzzing early 90's. we are still a few years away from that level for the game IMO.

Mr Saab

Referee
I seem to remember they were live on Saturdays and also live on the ABC with Boland and John Peard.

But you're right, back then every semi before the GF drew at least over 30,000.

Even the Broncos/Steelers game in 92 got a big crowd.

Nah they were not live on the ABC, otherwise I would not have spent time tuning in WIN TV....it was a bit snowy on the TV, but it was live semis, and back then that never happened.

Diesel

Referee
I thought it was absolutely magnificent being at the SFS in the sunshine yesterday. Are you telling me now that there are no more day games for the rest of the season?

The quality of the football alone on a dry track should be enough reason to play at least one semi per weekend in the daytime, let alone the crowd factor.

If we are stuck with a night GF then we need our Sunday arvo finals games back... But 9 wins again

I boycott 9 except for NRL games, I don't watch the Footy Show/s or any of their other crap

Kirky

Juniors
If we are stuck with a night GF then we need our Sunday arvo finals games back... But 9 wins again

I boycott 9 except for NRL games, I don't watch the Footy Show/s or any of their other crap

Unless you have a ratings box, or fill out a ratings survey, boycotting them doesn't actually do anything.

But back on topic, am I the only one that thought the atmosphere at the double header games came across really well on the TV? I mean, no it wasn't packed, but the crowd still gave the matches a good finals vibe.

Springs

First Grade
Unless you have a ratings box, or fill out a ratings survey, boycotting them doesn't actually do anything.

But back on topic, am I the only one that thought the atmosphere at the double header games came across really well on the TV? I mean, no it wasn't packed, but the crowd still gave the matches a good finals vibe.

The SFS has that kind of effect. Anything over 30,000 can make the stadium feel full. I honestly thought there was more than 32,000 on Saturday.

RWB

Bench

2 reasons

1) It was the SFS, always generates a great atmosphere for anything over 20k
2) The fans of each team were grouped together, always creates a much better atmosphere.

franklin2323

Immortal

The problem is though. We play bugger all night footy now. Use Souths as an example I count them as playing 4 day games 1 of those against Parra was terrible weather. It could be classed as night. Then you expect them to play in the hottest part of the year? (Footy season wise)

mave

Coach
LOL Timmah bagging Souths crowd, then excusing Bulldogs crowd....

Classic stuff champ.

As a Manly fan, I am in no position to crap on anyone's crowd, but Timmah, mate, please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts