What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Shark

Immortal
I have a feeling Sharks fans will outnumber Manly fans.

I'd say you are right. Manly play plenty of finals & might be a bit blasé about this game.

Didn't see last week's game as I was heading home....How many Manly fans were there - Big contingent?

Jamberoo

Juniors
I can't understand when the game has the highest income ever that tickets aren't subsidised, has this question been asked of the commission?
Are you kidding?
Tickets in Sydney are cheap as chips. That cannot be the problem.

Storm tickets expensive though. I ended up going with cheap seats - $95 for the family. Sidelines (even back row) was $270 (family).
Ridiculous to price Melbourne higher than Sydney. I reckon if prices here were same as Sydney, they could sell it out. AAMI is easily the best rectangular stadium in Australia but most Melbournians have not even been there yet.
Storm has the potential to be the second biggest NRL club crowd wise after Broncos.

As a comparison, AFL semis were $100 - $200 (family), and the same in all markets. Soccer much cheaper too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Happy to put my nuts on the line that Newcastle brought more than 2k more than Melbourne to the game mate.

Dogs and Souths pulled very similar numbers.

You sh*t on Souths numbers......

I shit on Souths numbers because:

- they're 2nd, playing 3rd placed Melbourne. Loads of positive publicity (apart from maybe Sam being a grub).
- we're 6th, playing 7th placed Newcastle. Negative publicity aplenty with all the Barba drama
- Souths drew a shade under SIXTY THOUSAND just 7 days earlier, and THIRTY TWO THOUSAND for the round six clash between the same two clubs.
- Souths didn't have trackwork to contend with - the entire Newcastle-Central Coast line was shut on Saturday & Sunday.
- the Bulldogs and Knights played a finals match in week 1, 2009, and drew only 21k. 2k more is a positive result in that context.

I will happily concede that both crowds should have been better but I find Souths' 21k to be a greater underachievement than our 23k.

- they're 2nd, playing 3rd placed Melbourne. Loads of positive publicity (apart from maybe Sam being a grub).
- we're 6th, playing 7th placed Newcastle. Negative publicity aplenty with all the Barba drama
- Souths drew a shade under SIXTY THOUSAND just 7 days earlier, and THIRTY TWO THOUSAND for the round six clash between the same two clubs.
- Souths didn't have trackwork to contend with - the entire Newcastle-Central Coast line was shut on Saturday & Sunday.
- the Bulldogs and Knights played a finals match in week 1, 2009, and drew only 21k. 2k more is a positive result in that context.

I will happily concede that both crowds should have been better but I find Souths' 21k to be a greater underachievement than our 23k.

Talk about shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. "Our disappointing crowd is marginally less disappointing than your disappointing crowd".

The rank hypocrisy of denigrating Brisbane for getting in the low 20s for Monday night games but defending similar crowds for finals is startling!

Ziggy the God

First Grade

I was there and thought the crowd would be bigger, but it is difficult to get out there every single Friday night.

Considering that 3 Sydney teams pulled 32k combined on a more conducive Saturday as well, it show me that there should of been a bigger promotion from the NRL. They certainly did for our Round 26 game.

H.H

Juniors
I'd say you are right. Manly play plenty of finals & might be a bit blasé about this game.

Didn't see last week's game as I was heading home....How many Manly fans were there - Big contingent?
Not really - they filled a couple of bays in the South/West corner and then scatterings here and there. Will say they made alot of noise though.

RWB

Bench
Geez I'd love to know why CAT 3 tickets for the Melbourne game are $40. Cat 2 tickets are $70 and Cat 1 tickets are $90.

Surely if we want to make in roads into Melbourne we should be trying to sell out this game, not discourage fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ridiculous pricing. The NRL is so far out of kilter at the moment with their stated goal of increasing crowds it is staggering. What I don't understand is they now have more money than they can spend so don't need to be charging silly ticket prices that are just another barrier to the casual fan attending and are now supposed to be being run by the ARLC, an independent body of RL people who know about the game and which direction to take it. We seem to be a long way from the optimism of this time last year when news had been kicked out and we finally thought we had RL being run by RL for RL.

Big Sam

First Grade
Ridiculous pricing. The NRL is so far out of kilter at the moment with their stated goal of increasing crowds it is staggering.

Stop whinging. Here are the prices the VFL is charging over the weekend (all prices adult single tickets).

Friday:
1. Category One Seating
AU $170.00

2. Category Two Seating
AU $155.00

3. Category Three Seating
AU $140.00

4. Category Four Seating
AU $120.00

5. Category Five Seating
AU $105.00

6. Category Six Seating
AU $85.00

7. Category Seven Seating
AU $68.00
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=PRELI0113&TKTA=AFL.COM.AU

Saturday (your beloved Fremantle):
1. Category One Seating
AU $170.00

2. Category Two Seating
AU $144.00

3. Category Three Seating
AU $118.00

4. Category Four Seating
AU $88.00

5. Category Five Seating
AU $78.00
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/freo...istid=1055677&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=711

League is far more affordable. If the prices have gone up slightly, it is to be expected because the finals are obviously premium matches.

Last edited:

RWB

Bench
The AFL have broken into the market and are guaranteed huge crowds for every finals game.

They can charge whatever they like. The ignorance of some on here astonishes me, we can not compare our crowds or our crowd prices to the AFL.

It's like comparing the prices of a Ferrari and a Toyota and trying to argue that the Toyota that's overpriced is still cheaper than the Ferrari. No f**king shit Sherlock!

Big Sam

First Grade
The AFL have broken into the market and are guaranteed huge crowds for every finals game.

They can charge whatever they like. The ignorance of some on here astonishes me, we can not compare our crowds or our crowd prices to the AFL.

Our crowds are half the VFL's and this weekend's prices are half the VFL's too. It's consistent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stop whinging. Here are the prices the VFL is charging over the weekend (all prices adult single tickets).

League is far more affordable. If the prices have gone up slightly, it is to be expected because the finals are obviously premium matches.

Do you understand the concept of supply and demand? :roll:

Big Sam

First Grade
Do you understand the concept of supply and demand?

Yes and so does the NRL. It knows that 20k-25k tickets will be 'demanded' for Saturday and thus can charge a premium.

The category 1 tickets for last year's non-elimination final against us were $65. A jump of $25 for an elimination final is not as significant as you are making it out to be.

Terry-Randal

Juniors
Anything less than 35k for Manly v Sharks would be a disaster.

loool you would be lucky if 18000 turned up. Manly fans don't travel beyond the bridge.you have to rely on the sharks fans to save the day. In Sydney the crowd pullers are Souths ,Parra,St George and the dogs when their doing well u get big crowds. A para St George semi will get 60k same with a Souths dogs or parra dogs even 70 k. thats hwy the Nrl should bend the rules to insure these clubs are strong f the rest .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts