What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWB

Bench
Our crowds are half the VFL's and this weekend's prices are half the VFL's too. It's consistent.

Want to put a bet on it that Melbourne's attendance will be half of the AFL's attendance on Friday?

We'll be lucky if we get one third of the AFL's attendance on Firday night to the Melbourne game on Saturday.

So by your own logic even you think the tickets are over-priced.

mave

Coach
I shit on Souths numbers because:

- they're 2nd, playing 3rd placed Melbourne. Loads of positive publicity (apart from maybe Sam being a grub).
- we're 6th, playing 7th placed Newcastle. Negative publicity aplenty with all the Barba drama
- Souths drew a shade under SIXTY THOUSAND just 7 days earlier, and THIRTY TWO THOUSAND for the round six clash between the same two clubs.
- Souths didn't have trackwork to contend with - the entire Newcastle-Central Coast line was shut on Saturday & Sunday.
- the Bulldogs and Knights played a finals match in week 1, 2009, and drew only 21k. 2k more is a positive result in that context.

I will happily concede that both crowds should have been better but I find Souths' 21k to be a greater underachievement than our 23k.

Sunday arvo vs Friday night....

Generalzod

Immortal
All the TELSTRA (thanks) sharks tickets for $20 have been all sold out....You can still buy tickets using the Manly and NRL password.

Big Sam

First Grade
Want to put a bet on it that Melbourne's attendance will be half of the AFL's attendance on Friday?

We'll be lucky if we get one third of the AFL's attendance on Firday night to the Melbourne game on Saturday.

So by your own logic even you think the tickets are over-priced.

None of that makes any sense because one stadium holds over 3 times the capacity of the other.

RWB

Bench
None of that makes any sense because one stadium holds over 3 times the capacity of the other.

I know it doesn't make any sense, your logic has been flawed from the start... you don't need to tell me that.

Melbourne wont sell out their stadium (one third of what the AFL will get), I think we already all know that so by your own logic shouldn't the tickets be one third the price of the AFL's?

Or are you going to back track from that comment and continue to justify the absurd ticket prices in a non Rugby League stronghold area?

Big Sam

First Grade
As I indicated before, the category 1 tickets for last year's non-elimination final against us were $65. A jump of $25 for an elimination final is not as you say "absurd".

The crowd is going to be in the 20k-25k range regardless of price.

BranVan3000

Coach
It's not absurd, it's greedy. The NRL has been injected with more money than it has ever had this year, and they still need to price hike everything? And what do we get out of it? Some bogans singing team songs for match entertainment.

RWB

Bench
As I indicated before, the category 1 tickets for last year's non-elimination final against us were $65. A jump of $25 for an elimination final is not as you say "absurd".

You also said that we get half the crowd so the tickets are represented as such by being half the price, or are you now backing down from this premise now?

If you think a $25 jump, nearly a 40% increase in price isn't absurd for a non rugby league state then you're kidding yourself and no one else.

The crowd is going to be in the 20k-25k range regardless of price.

And just when I thought you couldn't say anything more ridiculous than you already have you're now saying ticket prices don't affect crowd numbers. ](*,)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes and so does the NRL. It knows that 20k-25k tickets will be 'demanded' for Saturday and thus can charge a premium.

The category 1 tickets for last year's non-elimination final against us were $65. A jump of $25 for an elimination final is not as significant as you are making it out to be.

No the AFl can charge those prices because they know more people will want to attend than can attend, which is the case with Freo selling out within a day.

NRL is still, or at least should be, in the game of trying to build an audience for events. Sure fleece the 20k you know will turn up regardless but what about the 15,000 empty seats? New fans may have come along if reasonably priced but are unlikely to fork out that much for a game they are not committed to. When the NRl can sell out stadiums in a day then they can charge high ticket prices, but we aren't close to that.

Brutus

Referee
If the NRL are serious about decent crowds at finals matches then a game like Sharks v Manly should be played on a Sunday arvo.

Back in the mid 90's a sharks v manly semi = 32-40k

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
These tickets are still cheaper than a reds game. And pretty much on par with a Broncos or Titans game regular season game.

EDIT: Sydney game not Melbourne.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I'd say you are right. Manly play plenty of finals & might be a bit blasé about this game.

Didn't see last week's game as I was heading home....How many Manly fans were there - Big contingent?

I wasn't there, but a friend who was said there weren't all that many. Apparently they were loud though!

Anything less than 30k just looks crap.

mattyg

Bench
Manly v Sharks @ Allianz - 28k
Storm v Knights @ AAMI - 24k

Next week I'd expect 50k plus for souths and 35k for easts. Shame with all the Sydney teams we don't have another 70k blockbuster on our hands like 09,10,12. My dream would be bulldogs v eels and souths v dragons/tigers/easts as the 2 prelims. That would be epic!! Too bad 3 of those teams are way off ATM though.

elbusto

Coach
This thread is now subject to ridiculous over analysis.

Premium games come at a premium price.

It is that simple.

elbusto

Coach
Perhaps but tickets shouldn't be at a price where there are thousands of empty seats
Jesus I travel three to four times a year with the missus to catch my Team play - it costs me $5000 a year.

Get over it guys.

Its your Club. Support it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts