What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
You would think that Sharks and Manly fans would mobilise for the biggest game in their seasons thus far, its win or die. Forget about travel issues for one special night, take advantage of the free buses from both regions. Perhaps those that work in the city can stay in the CBD instead of crossing the spit bridge and make a night of it. Of course many fans will do this, its just that the critical mass who inevitably won't that is disappointing. I would like to think it will get close to 30k.

Once again though promotion of this game is invisible as it has been for each of the games so far.

elbusto

Coach
Sorry we aren't all as loaded as you and your Missus.
We aren't loaded buddy. We are just committed. Watching you guys whinge about ticket prices has me in stitches.

Down here in Tassie, unless you follow the AFL sides North Melbourne or Hawthorn, you have to travel to see your favourite team of any code.

And that is what we do.
:cool:

Perth Red

Post Whore
We are not talking about the storm faithful, those 20k will be there regardless of cost. We are talking the casual sports fan who might have gone if not too expensive. Does the NRL really need an extra $25 a ticket? Is it going to make any difference to their bottom line? Not really but it may be the difference between a 20k crowd and a sell out. Until the NRL is at the hype and intetest level it can fill stadiums it needs to be doing all it can to increase its spectator base, especially in expansion areas.

Agreed el busto, we made 3 interstate trips this year to watch games but we are exceptions rather than the norm! We are talking about growing our spectator base, attracting new fans, re engaging old fans and getting casual sports fans and neutrals to games. It is the only way we will grow our 15k crowds to 30k crowds.

Last edited:

RWB

Bench
We aren't loaded buddy. We are just committed. Watching you guys whinge about ticket prices has me in stitches.

Down here in Tassie, unless you follow the AFL sides North Melbourne or Hawthorn, you have to travel to see your favourite team of any code.

And that is what we do.
:cool:

You're a hero, we get it.

However if you cared to actually read any of the arguments you'd realise it's not about individuals on here complaining about whether they're able to afford it but rather how can we make sure that we sell out stadiums providing the best atmosphere for the games that deserve it.

Die hards will always show up regardless of prices, we already know that. It's the other 10 or 20k seats that need filling.

elbusto

Coach
You're a hero, we get it.

However if you cared to actually read any of the arguments you'd realise it's not about individuals on here complaining about whether they're able to afford it but rather how can we make sure that we sell out stadiums providing the best atmosphere for the games that deserve it.

Die hards will always show up regardless of prices, we already know that. It's the other 10 or 20k seats that need filling.
Well I have been watching this thread for a long time and you haven't come up with too much yet to fix the alleged problem.

Crowds this year were almost identical to last years.

The only reason they were marginally smaller was due to the NRL insisting on accurate counting in my opinion.

It is, in fact, possible we actually saw an increase in crowds this year in real terms now that the BS has ceased.

RWB

Bench
Well I have been watching this thread for a long time and you haven't come up with too much yet to fix the alleged problem.

The only reason they were marginally smaller was due to the NRL insisting on accurate counting in my opinion.

It is, in fact, possible we actually saw an increase in crowds this year in real terms now that the BS has ceased.

I'm not debating the crowds over the full home and away season, in fact I think prices and promotions run by the clubs this season have been great and there's been some really good attempts to get the fans to the fill the stadiums. I don't think the slight dip in numbers is all that concerning but again this isn't what I'm debating.

My criticism over prices is quite clearly directed and only directed at Melbourne's home elimination final on Saturday.

But again, thanks for that wonderful input. As irrelevant as it may be to the topic at hand, don't let that stop you. Your ramblings remind me of a retirement home I used to visit every now and then.

Last edited:

fanatique

Juniors

There will always be some clubs going well and getting a crowd boost EG the Roosters this year and some going badly and getting reduced crowds like the Eels. There will always be some games in the rain, some in the SOO window, some in poor timeslots etc etc.

On average the clubs have between 8,000 and 15,000 matchgoing fans ( more for the Broncos) and this figure rises with success and falls with failure.

We've been averaging about 16,000 for ages now and that is the level of matchgoing support our league has. Realistically I think we could grow that to perhaps about 18,000 with imagination and money but beyond that the reality is that the matchgoing interest simply is not there.

Perhaps the best loved and most widely supported club in NSW has just posted a top 2 season and record home attendance...22,000 at a stadium with no attendance limit. We need to be real about expectation.

Garbler

Juniors
.Crowds this year were almost identical to last years.

Good point. Shame it will be lost on the panic merchants in this thread.

elbusto

Coach
I'm not debating the crowds over the full home and away season, in fact I think prices and promotions run by the clubs this season have been great and there's been some really good attempts to get the fans to the fill the stadiums. I don't think the slight dip in numbers is all that concerning but again this isn't what I'm debating.

My criticism over prices is quite clearly directed and only directed at Melbourne's home elimination final on Saturday.

But again, thanks for that wonderful input. As irrelevant as it may be to the topic at hand, don't let that stop you. Your ramblings remind me of a retirement home I used to visit every now and then.
The topic at hand is 'crowds' as this is a thread called 'Crowd Watch'.

As such all of comments are directly relevant.

I would be interested to know how my 'ramblings' remind you of a 'retirement home'. Seems a most unlikely comparison as one consists of words and the other bricks and mortar.

However I am sure it made sense to you ;-)

bobmar28

Bench
The ARLC got 1.2 billion for the TV contract. I'm sure the networks would like to see full stadiums on TV screens.

Full stadiums also present an image of a code that is flourishing.

The ARLC should do whatever they can to make sure stadiums are full.

Last edited:

Moffo

Referee
What do they care, it's sunk money?

Every additional person at the ground is one less person watching it on the box

Perth Red

Post Whore
The alternative view is full stadiums create better atmosphere and enhance the TV viewing product showing a vibrant and growing sport that more casual viewers will tune in to watch. You think TV are happy to keep the same amount of viewers every year?

guyver78

Juniors
Manly v Sharks @ Allianz - 28k
Storm v Knights @ AAMI - 24k

Next week I'd expect 50k plus for souths and 35k for easts. Shame with all the Sydney teams we don't have another 70k blockbuster on our hands like 09,10,12. My dream would be bulldogs v eels and souths v dragons/tigers/easts as the 2 prelims. That would be epic!! Too bad 3 of those teams are way off ATM though.

Keep in mind that one of the main reasons that we got 70K last year for Souths v Dogs finals game was because a good 25,000 seats were allocated to ANZ Stadium members.

guyver78

Juniors
You would think that Sharks and Manly fans would mobilise for the biggest game in their seasons thus far, its win or die. Forget about travel issues for one special night, take advantage of the free buses from both regions. Perhaps those that work in the city can stay in the CBD instead of crossing the spit bridge and make a night of it. Of course many fans will do this, its just that the critical mass who inevitably won't that is disappointing. I would like to think it will get close to 30k.

Once again though promotion of this game is invisible as it has been for each of the games so far.

Brookie fits what 20,000 people right? About that.
They get an average of 12,000 people against any average Sydney team at Brookie of which 2000 are opposition supporters.

There are a few exceptions where they draw almost 20,000 people like the game against Souths but 10,000 give and take is about what Manly can get to their games at Brookie.

Why does it then surprise anybody that no more then 16,000 turn up for a finals game against an out of town team like the Cowboys???

Manly are at capacity now with no room to grow and unless they get away from that crappy little Brookvale oval and get a bigger stadium to attract more people to regular season games then how are people going to start magically appearing to finals games at this time of the year?

They need funding from the Govt to turn Brookvale oval to a 30,000 seater (doubt it will happen) stadium because at this stage Manly simply don't have 30,000 supporters like the Rabbitohs, Tigers, Dragons or Bulldogs that could turn up to the bigger games.

It's got nothing to do with Marketing.

firechild

First Grade
Brookie fits what 20,000 people right? About that.
They get an average of 12,000 people against any average Sydney team at Brookie of which 2000 are opposition supporters.

You're kidding aren't you? Souffs might have come close but Cronulla would have been lucky to have 200 fans at Brookie and others weren't much better. Away fans just won't cross the spit bridge (or Roseville bridge).

Status
Not open for further replies.