What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xfactor1979

Bench
If I may put in my two cents
I had an American friend go to the roosters v rabbits game a couple of weeks ago. And she told me it was a fabulous experience

She then asked me: so does that mean the roosters are champions then for winning that game?

I then told her we had finals or 'playoffs' but she inquisitively asked me : why dont they have divisions and stuff? And whys it all just 1 conference or something. You aussies sure do things funny

It goes to show to you the context of finals is lost in translation to a lot of people, who really cant be bothered to double up.

And as what some people said before with nrl crowds, theyre about as reliable and predictable as women

just like my american friend...

guyver78

Juniors
You're kidding aren't you? Souffs might have come close but Cronulla would have been lucky to have 200 fans at Brookie and others weren't much better. Away fans just won't cross the spit bridge (or Roseville bridge).

Well ok they were very rough and average estimates...
Lert's say you get 12,000 manly supporters and 500 Sharks/Roosters supporters for arguments sake.
This is my point exactly, Manly is at capacity with very little or no room for growth and this is about as good as it will ever get.

guyver78

Juniors
If I may put in my two cents
I had an American friend go to the roosters v rabbits game a couple of weeks ago. And she told me it was a fabulous experience

She then asked me: so does that mean the roosters are champions then for winning that game?

I then told her we had finals or 'playoffs' but she inquisitively asked me : why dont they have divisions and stuff? And whys it all just 1 conference or something. You aussies sure do things funny

It goes to show to you the context of finals is lost in translation to a lot of people, who really cant be bothered to double up.

And as what some people said before with nrl crowds, theyre about as reliable and predictable as women

just like my american friend...

Different ballgame here. I watch the NFL too and divisions and conferences make sense there because the have 32 teams competing.

Can you imagine doing that here, splitting the League into 2 divisions meaning that teams from each division can never play each other in the final.

It just wouldn't fly here with a 16 team competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Different ballgame here. I watch the NFL too and divisions and conferences make sense there because the have 32 teams competing.

Can you imagine doing that here, splitting the League into 2 divisions meaning that teams from each division can never play each other in the final.

It just wouldn't fly here with a 16 team competition.

There is a discussion on possible conference formats in the NRL expansion forum.

morley101

Juniors
Prices for Friday's game are very reasonable.

You can buy a junior ticket for just $5 while a family ticket for two adults and two children is $45. There are also free buses for ticket holders from Manly Leagues Club and Cronulla Leagues Club to Allianz Stadium.

papabear

Juniors
Lets be honest there will be 15k sharks fans there easy

Will there be 15k manly fans... probably not, they do have the shittest fans in terms of travel in the comp, in fact I wouldnt be surprised if the knights had more fans show up playing the sharks in week 2 then manly such is the lack of manly fans and the shitness of the club.

papabear

Juniors
Should manlys footy ever go to shit, they will get far worse crowds then the panthers, raiders or sharks.

They will have 5k show up in the wet and 8k in the sun after a bit of losing.

Problem is they don't lose nearly enought so its just painting over the cracks of a shit club.

guyver78

Juniors
My mate bought us 3 Cat 1 tickets last night and PAX was 2000 something so hardly any have been sold so far...

I doubt we'll crack 20,000

RWB

Bench
The topic at hand is 'crowds' as this is a thread called 'Crowd Watch'.

As such all of comments are directly relevant.

I would be interested to know how my 'ramblings' remind you of a 'retirement home'. Seems a most unlikely comparison as one consists of words and the other bricks and mortar.

However I am sure it made sense to you ;-)

I'm well aware of the name of the thread.

However, you were commenting on my criticism of ticket prices, which was directed and only directed at the Melbourne Storm elimination final on Saturday. I don't know how many more times I need to repeat myself. It's pretty straight forward I thought, no?

guyver78

Juniors
Away fans just won't cross the spit bridge (or Roseville bridge).

Just on that note I personally don't believe it actually has anything to do with traveling and whether Manly fans travel past the bridge or opposition fans travel to brookie.

If manly play the dogs or bunnies and 18,000 people turn up to brookie 16,000 being Manly supporters as it usually is then getting 16,000 to the Sydney Football Stadium for a finals Manly vs Cowboys is standard and about right.

I went to watch 4 games at Brookie this year:
Manly v Bunnies
Manly v Dogs
Manly v Broncos
Manly v Sharks

and I can tell you:

The Hill at brookie - full of yobbos, d**kheads and drunks, not exactly very inviting for families.
Grandstand Seats - extremely expensive if you want a half decent seat and very limited.
Members seats on the side - yeah 1/2 ok.
Behind the posts - crap.
Capacity - 20,000
Conclusion - Not very inviting for opposition team supporters to travel there given the limitations of brookie and in this day and age in order to get good crowds home team CEO's rely on opposition supporters turning up in numbers to boost crowd figures and revenue. Even if 10,000 opposition supporters did turn up to brookie, where would you fit them?

From what I've seen you have on average the same 10,000-12,000 Manly supporters who turn up every week and whoever else the opposition brings.

So in a nutshell Manly fans DO TRAVEL, there's just not that many of them at the moment because of the limitation of small grounds like brookvale oval. It's crippled Manly from expanding.

Manly at one stage in the 1990's had a very very big supporter base, unfortunately playing out of a tiny home ground means there's been very little progress since then and every club needs new supporters coming on-board every year in order to grow.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Un like us desperates on forums

Think about all your friends.

How many are massive RL fans
How many are casual RL fans
And how many don't know shit about it

Is it really that popular ?

Status
Not open for further replies.