What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Doc

Coach
This is a fecken finals game - Sydney fans where are you?

I know you're from a one team town so don't get it, so let me explain.

Sydney is tribal. Most people (not on these boards who are fanatics, but most of the sporting fan population) don't support the sport. They support their team.

Going to watch two neutral teams is absurd to most. Why travel in, pay money, eat expensive food and battle home, when you can flick in the tele and watch the coverage with pizza delivered for 11.95?

Yes the atmosphere is better at the game. But when u hate both teams, you don't want to hear anyone cheering.

Unfortunately for the NRL, they got the insular peninsula vs the shire. The two most notorious regions of sydney for not crossing their respective bridges.

Tonight's crowd will probably be 21,000. Divided by 2, will be the most number of fans either club has brought to SFS in a long time. The end.

Raiderdave

First Grade
They're not facts, they're just numbers you pulled out of your arse.

The only numbers we can compare so far are week 1.

AFL - 235,842 (Avg: 58,960)
NRL - 77,442 (Avg: 19,360)

Even if you wanted to be extremely generous and say the double header split into two separate games would've drawn and extra 20,000 fans it's not even close.

Listening to people harp on about our crowd figures compared to the AFL is annoying but no where near as annoying as the thick league fans who think there's not that much of a difference between the numbers.

Yes the difference is massive.

they're just numbers you pulled out of your arse.
:sarcasm:

ahhh
that's exactly what your predictions are too you wombat :lol:

& as for their week one finals
take away their one decent turn out of 94,650 which was an aberration as a result of Richmond being involved in finals for the first time in 12 years up against a traditional rival ...
& the other 3 average about 47,000
or about 50% higher then their season average

our week one average is just a bit less then 50% higher then our season average.

their week 2 total was 50% higher then their season average
ours should be as well

their week 3 estimate will be double their season average
ours should be about 3 times our average

as for people harping on about AFL crowds compared to ours annoying you
maybe try practising what you preach, lead from the front so to speak ....
&.... refrain from doing it
theres a lad.:cool:

Springs

First Grade
I know you're from a one team town so don't get it, so let me explain.

Sydney is tribal. Most people (not on these boards who are fanatics, but most of the sporting fan population) don't support the sport. They support their team.

Going to watch two neutral teams is absurd to most. Why travel in, pay money, eat expensive food and battle home, when you can flick in the tele and watch the coverage with pizza delivered for 11.95?

Yes the atmosphere is better at the game. But when u hate both teams, you don't want to hear anyone cheering.

Unfortunately for the NRL, they got the insular peninsula vs the shire. The two most notorious regions of sydney for not crossing their respective bridges.

Tonight's crowd will probably be 21,000. Divided by 2, will be the most number of fans either club has brought to SFS in a long time. The end.

Well that's wrong. Manly got 16,000 to this match last year against the Cowboys, unless you think NQ brought 5,000+ fans with them.
15,000 for both clubs should be no problem.

Roosters v Penrith drew 23,000 3 years ago to this game. Penrith fans have to travel a bit further than either Manly or Sharks fans. If they can't get over 25,000 than that's awful.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
With all this talk on attendances, the one thing we can say is that not many neutrals attend finals compared to say, AFL. If you look at matches at the MCG, there is a large stadium membership who to their credit attend games even if it ain't their team playing. I think this really assists AFL boost crowds. Even when Etihad stadium was built, I bet there was a rush for stadium membership, as Melbourne has a history of prestige stadium memberships and people realise how long MCG membership list is, so they didn't want to miss out. The other thing going is most of these members would mostly be AFL/cricket fans whereas Sydney people's allegiances are further stretched and what people like to attend if very defined. Only the really tantalising league events, i.e origin may attract a stadium member who follows AFL, union or soccer.

This is an area the NRL, clubs need to build. I think we do see this for SOO & ANZAC day clash, as mentioned. But the challenge is to make more clashes at ANZ & Allianz, a good day out/event, even for people who may not have league as their 1st preference.

Saint Doc

Coach
Well that's wrong. Manly got 16,000 to this match last year against the Cowboys, unless you think NQ brought 5,000+ fans with them.
15,000 for both clubs should be no problem.

Roosters v Penrith drew 23,000 3 years ago to this game. Penrith fans have to travel a bit further than either Manly or Sharks fans. If they can't get over 25,000 than that's awful.

Fair enough, I was referring more to coming to the SFS as the away team vs Roosters or Tigers.

But my point stands that the city is tribal and no one likes Manly or the Sharks except for their 12-15,000 non traveling fans based at the extreme north and south regions of the city

ag6858

Juniors
image_00001.jpg

Not a brilliant crowd, but doesn't look particularly bad so far.

Evenflow

Bench
Would be great if Storm get a bigger crowd than this one. Even if it doesn't something comparable which I'm sure it will be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once people accept NRL is not as popular in Sydney as we would like then we will stop being disappointed at Sydney crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.