What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
At the very least NRL should have stood firm and said if Nine want a night GF then we get to have Sunday arvo matches in weeks 2 and 3. No one's going to miss Friday matches and honestly, more people would have a chance to watch Sunday arvo games on TV. I'm missing out watching Friday's game because I have a thing on that was planned 6 months ago. I have nothing on Sunday however, as local footy has finished for the year.

I have an issue with that. You can count on one hand the amount of day games Souths have this year. Then you expect them to turn up in the hottest part of the year and play their best? We need teams playing their best sadly we have slowly turned into a night sport so finals need to be the same timeslots as 90% of the comp games

undertaker

Coach
agree.
I reckon around 40K...Souths 30k, Manly 10K

Chooks v Knights I predict will be around 37K, based on current Ticketek sales.

Had Souths/Manly been on Saturday night and Roosters/Knights on Sunday, 60k+ would've been on the cards for the first game and the second would sell-out. As it stands, Souths/Manly most likely is going to draw <50k, which is very disappointing for an all-Sydney GFQ. Roosters/Knights will most likely be in the 30-40k range.

Fans and the NRL just stand there being submissive and allow Ch9 to screw them over. Stuff Ch9!

undertaker

Coach
I have an issue with that. You can count on one hand the amount of day games Souths have this year. Then you expect them to turn up in the hottest part of the year and play their best? We need teams playing their best sadly we have slowly turned into a night sport so finals need to be the same timeslots as 90% of the comp games

Hottest part of the year my arse!:lol: Harden up mate! The weather is nothing compared to the stifling heat and humidity in March, hence why there will only be one Sunday arvo game (Sunday 3pm) for the first 6 rounds of next year

Also, Sunday arvo wk 2/3 finals had been played for years right up until 2007. It couldn't have been an issue if this had been allowed to occur for years. I know you're going to rebut me with the example of the Cowboys/Warriors 2007 SF being played in stifling conditions, but that's the fault of the NRL. In the old McIntyre 8 system, only week 1 had to be played in order (i.e. 4vs5, 3vs6, 2vs7 and 1vs8). The NRL had the flexibility to switch and play that Cowboys/Warriors match on Saturday night and the Eels/Bulldogs game on Sunday (which would've got more ppl to both games) just like they did for the 2009 PFs when the Storm/Broncos was shifted from Friday night to Saturday night due to the VFL GF, yet they chose not to. It was a complete braindead decision by whoever it was at the NRL not to play Cowboys/Warriors on Sat night and Eels/Bulldogs on Sunday. It was even smarter for the Cowboys to choose to wear their white kit, hence forcing the Warriors to wear black.

However, that is not the reason why wk2/3 finals were changed to Friday night/Saturday night in 2008; the reason was the result of a compromise in favour of Ch9 as a result of changing the GF from the previous 7pm night kickoff to 5pm twilight kickoff, which no-one wanted (most fans wanted the traditional 3pm kickoff instead, Ch9 wanted the 7 kickoff). So, Ch9 were the big winners at the end of the day because they got an additional two games in primetime (wk2/3 Friday night finals) + a GF that, whilst not at night, still occurred during prime-time (if you define prime-time as starting at 6pm which is when Ch7/9 have their news bulletin) while the fans got screwed getting a GF timeslot they never agreed upon, whilst having Sunday arvo wk2/3 finals taken away from them in the process. Also, all of those so-called 5pm twilight kickoffs didn't kick-off until around 5:25pm. Last year's GF was not a twilight GF, as the whole 2nd half was played at night because daylight savings hadn't commenced yet.

Now that Ch9 have got their 7pm GF back again and have retained the Fri night/Sat night wk2/3 finals format (which they acquired as a result of losing the night GF), they well and truly have got what they wanted and screwed over the fans in the process.

People thinking you'd get the best quality footy in 35 degree heat are kidding themselves.

No one said the best quality footy is played in 35 degree heat, you imbecile!

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
50k for Souths-Manly is a pipe-dream. Last year there were 70k at the Souths v Bulldogs match, and that was pretty much 50-50. So given the same number of Souths supporters turn up (35k), plus somwhere between 5k and 10k Manly supporters you're looking around 40-45k IMO.

35k Souths fans? Why would less go to a grand final qualifier compared to the MP decider?

yobbo84

Coach
35k Souths fans? Why would less go to a grand final qualifier compared to the MP decider?

Because the tickets are twice as expensive for one... unless you want to sit 100m from the action and can't see anything.

I mean most supporters on here would go rain, hail or shine, whatever day of the week, wherever you could sit. But there's plenty of your average supporters who won't.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hottest part of the year my arse!:lol: Harden up mate! The weather is nothing compared to the stifling heat and humidity in March, hence why there will only be one Sunday arvo game (Sunday 3pm) for the first 6 rounds of next year

And how many errors and how bad is the standard early on. Thats with them training all through summer to prepare for those games. Take this week for example 30's most of the week. early 20's on the weekend.

I have no issue pissing off Monday night, 2nd Friday night and Sunday night and replacing them with day games. This allows players to be more climatised and better footy.

We chose to take it up at the ring from TV stations we have to deal with it now. Crowd wise and Footy wise Sat & Sun finals are better but without more day games through the year it won't work

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
It has literally NEVER hit 35 degrees in september since temperature records have been kept.

Classic Bunniesman fail

34.6 is the official highest its ever been in Sydney in September. It rarely even hits 30 in September.

Bunniesman fails yet again:lol:

Panfas

Juniors
34.6 is the official highest its ever been in Sydney in September. It rarely even hits 30 in September.

Bunniesman fails yet again:lol:
So you want to be pedantic? If we are talking about Olympic Park then the nearest major weather station is Parramatta, which has a highest recorded temp of 35.4C. Just sayin..

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Jesus this is getting massive

Congrats bunnies fans for getting out there

Week one is still a mystery ??

MP game 60,000
Week1 21,000
PF game 60,000

Weird

Raiderdave

First Grade
PAX no. 42,316 for Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles. Should be 50,000 - 60,000

if that is the correct pax 30 hrs out
& it doesn't include the members who total 14,000 odd

we'd be looking at between 55 & 60K.. which is what smarter posters in here were tipping

any pax for Sat
I'd heard it was in excess of 30,000 ??

The Director

Juniors
People claiming there's going to be 50,000 to 60,000 are kidding. I'm a Souths' fan and I have to tell you I don't think there is going to be more than 30,000 there and after all the hype for years and after all the 'when we're going well again we'll sell out the stadium ten times over' it's amounted to nothing but a thud back to earth that in regards to supporter base who will get out there to watch their team - we're exactly the same as all the other sydney clubs, give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts