What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL should buy Allianz. Have two Sydney NRL games of the week there and all Sydney finals. Oh and put a roof on it and a train line to everyone's front door so there can be no excuses!

Brutus

Referee
34k in the year 2001 is pretty good,all crowds were shit back then,fast forward to 2013 and those two teams would get 40k+ easily

I guess when you consider the cowboys v eels got mid 40's in 2005, you're probably right. Could have cracked 70k had there been a Wazn v Daniel Wagon match race at half-time.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Yeah shit crowds I agree.

Broncos and Parra both overrated lol

Well if we frame all teams as over-rated sure.

Except when it comes to 74k crowds for gf qualifiers, Parra did the heavy lifting by bringing 45-50k fans that day.

We had 46k for a round 26 game when we were spooners.

When other pretenders to the throne say they can manage what onlly we can manage... such as souffs managing 44k last night, and the Broncos with an entire city to themselves... :lol:

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "Parra has the worst crowds, except for all other teams and their crowds"

We're sick of shouldering the responsibility of bringing 72k+ crowds, we wish other teams would come to the party.

Last edited:

Game_Breaker

Coach
No, the lack of Parra meant 2009 wasn't beaten.

Parra is the most supported side in Sydney, they just have no soul, hence the bandwagon tendencies.

The other big pullers, St George, Tigers, Souths, Bulldogs have not much more than 30,000 fans max.

Souths pulled extra to make in 71k in last year because it was their first grand final qualifier since unlimited tackle.

Without Parra, no game will pull more than 60-65k.

Parra in a game where they are wooden spooners can get 46k.

Souths where they are favourites to win and make the grand final get the same amount.

Friday night proved that the reason 2009 wasn't beaten was because Souffs aren't as popular as people say, and even then it was only by a couple of thousand

The common denominator between the big prelim finals was the Bulldogs

Brutus

Referee

Except when it comes to 74k crowds for gf qualifiers, Parra did the heavy lifting by bringing 45-50k fans that day.

We had 46k for a round 26 game when we were spooners.

When other pretenders to the throne say they can manage what onlly we can manage... such as souffs managing 44k last night, and the Broncos with an entire city to themselves... :lol:

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "Parra has the worst crowds, except for all other teams and their crowds"

We're sick of shouldering the responsibility of bringing 72k+ crowds, we wish other teams would come to the party.

How many to the semi against the Titans in 2009? 40k parra fans to that one?

There have been three 70k plus crowds for non gfs and parra have been involved in one of them. Awesome! And I have never seen an NRL game with such media hype behind it than that one.(09 v the Dogs).

parra v storm prelim 99..

Parra no doubt have the capacity to be involved in another 70k plus prelim final down the track.

When that will be..who knows.

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Dogs vs Eels and Souths vs Roosters I think would pull the biggest crowds of any combination if they were the prelims.

theres plenty of .. combos .. that would crack 70K plus for a GF qualifier at ANZ & several actually have

Dogs V Parra
Tigers V Saints
Roosters V Souths
Dogs V Saints
Tigers V Parra
Souths V Bulldogs
Bulldogs V Tigers
Saints V Souths
Parra V Souths
Saints V Parra
Tigers V Souths

what we need is to eliminate Friday nights from the mix if theres 2 finals in Sydney
it has to be Sat night & Sunday arvo at 4pm
imagine a Dogs eels prelim at ANZ on a Sunday arvo... 80K minimum.

if its 1 final in Sydney then it HAS to be the Sat night Final & the other on the Friday outside of Sydney.

when the NRL gets back control of its scheduling
It will tell Ch 9
this is when the game is on .... now you cover it !!

Code in crisis, yada, yada.

I've just got back from a bit over a week on the mid-north coast of enemy territory. Confession. I have never seen so many games of beach footy, never seen so many footy caps and shirts, never heard so many people in conversation about footy. None of them fans of my beloved Broncs, obviously, but all of them dedicated. Not surprising for this time of year, but still. Awesome.

Some people call this latent support. I just call it support.

They mightn't all be at games, but they are very engaged.

The $1.1 billion question is how to convert them to bums on seats in Sydney.

But code in crisis? I call bullshit on that.

ouwet

Bench

Except when it comes to 74k crowds for gf qualifiers, Parra did the heavy lifting by bringing 45-50k fans that day..

LMFAO... Keep dreaming!! Parramatta supporters are so full of shit!

beave

Coach
NQ v. Broncos in a finals game in brisbane would get 70k if there was a stadium of that size there....... Hypothetical I know but considering that game generally gets 45-50k in the regular season every year it would be achievable come finals time you would have to think.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
NQ v. Broncos in a finals game in brisbane would get 70k if there was a stadium of that size there....... Hypothetical I know but considering that game generally gets 45-50k in the regular season every year it would be achievable come finals time you would have to think.

And more.

I remember the 08 final against the storm and the 09 dragons semi were sold to single seats after the first day.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Code in crisis, yada, yada.

I've just got back from a bit over a week on the mid-north coast of enemy territory. Confession. I have never seen so many games of beach footy, never seen so many footy caps and shirts, never heard so many people in conversation about footy. None of them fans of my beloved Broncs, obviously, but all of them dedicated. Not surprising for this time of year, but still. Awesome.

Some people call this latent support. I just call it support.

They mightn't all be at games, but they are very engaged.

The $1.1 billion question is how to convert them to bums on seats in Sydney.

But code in crisis? I call bullshit on that.

I agree. The afl have somehow created this perception that it is popular in the NSW bush, but if you look at the figures even in the Riverina where the two codes appear closest in support it is literally a no contest. I have heard not one peep about the afl grand final that apparently happened yesterday, if i had not of switched on fox sports news when i got home at 11am today i would not know who won it. In my area in the central coast it is league, followed by soccer with a lot of cross support between those two. Every shopping center i go to i see heaps of people wearing supporters gear of pretty much every club

Code in crisis my ass

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
LMFAO... Keep dreaming!! Parramatta supporters are so full of shit!

There will be no way of telling who had more fans to that game. It's impossible.

However the fact is, there were more bays dedicated to Parramatta supporters then there was for the Bulldogs.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Love how some pundits labelled yesterday the biggest day in Australian sport

Yet half the country was shopping or at beach

Melb cup day is at least popular in nsw and qld

Von

Juniors
Yes that will be great in the new stand at the SCG.

"Fans will be able to order food and drinks on their smart phones, select their own camera angles for viewing, click into key game stats and send out personal photos without the usual congestion that jams big sports events.

A special app is being developed to help fans find their way to their seats, order tickets to future games and share live event action over social media from anywhere in the ground."

That's the advantage of teams playing at the bigger stadia. Such things will be rolled at all the the big stadia and will become the norm. The smaller suburban grounds will not be able to compete with the comfort levels that the fans playing at the big stadia will enjoy and quickly expect.

Dragons01

First Grade
The SCG is a terrible ground to watch rugby league from. You are so far away from the actual field.

Big stadiums are fine when there is a decent crowd but it is not so fantastic when 16,000 turn up to a stadium that holds 80,000. All the talk from Greenberg of playing out of the two big stadiums and the first time it is really put to the test with the Parra V Saints game towards the end of the regular season this year and the NRL moves it back to Parra stadium because of concerns of a small crowd.

Atmosphere is a big part of what makes going to the game more appealing than watching it on TV but no amount of hype can generate atmosphere in a stadium that is not even a quarter full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts