What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel

Referee
I'd like to see the crowds from Friday and Sunday bigger than the DH, that'll send a message to the merkins who thought a DH at the SFS was a good idea

01 | Broncos 30,479

Quite a drop off this year. While form has something to do with it, terrible Origin scheduling, two Monday nights and a Thursday night aren't innocent either. If only we could nuke Nine and sever the nexus between the Broncos and Friday nights.

02 | Rabbitohs 22,261

Fantastic effort.

03 | Bulldogs 19,590
04 | Roosters 19,368
05 | Knights 18,821

Pretty solid efforts here, too.

06 | Storm 16,302

Great work down there in enemy territory. The Storm have really set themselves up well for the inevitable drop off when their stars finish up in coming years.

07 | Warriors 16,197

Another solid effort as well.

08 | Cowboys 14,112
09 | Titans 14,028

Could do better here. I would love to see the Cowboys come back up towards 20. Give 'em a nice new stadium in town and their numbers would skyrocket. As for the Titans, there is no way this figure isn't disappointing. However, don't underestimate how much the off field dramas in the last couple of years have soiled their name. Under the circumstances they are holding on, and doing better than the other new boys in town. I would be disappointed if they didn't improve 1-2k next season.

10 | Sea Eagles 13,522
11 | Sharks 13,471

No one here wants to read about it, but when you are playing out of a park with a few stands around, like the Seagles and the Sharks, you can't really expect much more. I have to get on all manner of public transport to get to home games, and it takes yonks. Don't know why fans of these teams are so special that anything more than a five minute stroll from the front door is a fundamental breach of their human rights. Don't expect any major improvement here in the near future.

12 | Eels 12,456

Not a bad ground, ordinary crowds. That said, ordinary form, so *shrug*. To be expected.

13 | Dragons 12,423
14 | Tigers 11,452
15 | Panthers 10,337
16 | Raiders 10,227

All a concern. None of these teams seem to have any capacity to improve their crowds short of a grand final appearance. All bandwagon teams. Yes, these teams are crowding up the bottom eight, but I just can't see how they can improve.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Saying the Tigers have no capacity to improve is ridiculous. They got 16k last season despite having a terrible team. They had the biggest crowds in Sydney when they weren't a rabble onfield.

And the Titans are much worse than you explain. 6 years in a row of decline is awful.

And I fear Manly will have Panthers/Raiders level crowds when they drop out of the 8.

Frailty

First Grade
Here is some interesting figures based on membership v crowd averages.

Note of warning, most membership totals are based on figures at the end of july.

Team Crowd Members Crowd +/-
Titans 14028 7338 91%
Panthers 10337 5822 78%
Warriors 16197 10116 60%
Roosters 19368 13663 42%
Sharks 13471 10168 32%
Cowboys 14112 10881 30%
Broncos 30479 26225 16%
Raiders 10227 8807 16%
Knights 18821 16416 15%
Sea Eagles 13522 11958 13%
Bulldogs 19590 17336 13%
Storm 16302 14840 10%
Tigers 11452 11729 -2%
Rabbitohs 22261 27363 -19%
Eels 12456 17205 -28%
Dragons 12423 19714 -37%

This paints an interesting picture for clubs to consider. Sides like the Titans, Panthers, and Warriors have massive potential to increase their membership bases and need to work hard on turning the casual fans into members. The Roosters and Sharks could also make significant gains.

The Dragons and Eels look like they are struggling to get members to the games. Given their performances this year, it can't really be debated. To a certain extent, these clubs will also suffer from the fact that their membership bases are pretty broad over the country, like South Sydney, but they still need to try and reduce this variance.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Small problem. I have checked my email and have not received the code that ticketed members are supposed to get for the members pre-sale. Anyone know what i can do or who to contact?

parrawentyfan

Juniors
This could get shot down, but what about the Titans having a home game at Suncorp again vs Broncos. Would boost their average. I think this contributed to their high average in seasons 1 and 2 (not sure about 2).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
CC Roosters - the AAN to use should be identical to the one they sent out for GF tix back in July

Teddyboy

First Grade
Brisbane - lowest crowd since 2005.

Souths - greatest crowd in the clubs history. One of the highest ever averages achieved by a Sydney team.

Canterbury - Down more than 15% from the season before. Not good but understandable given all the drama they've had.

Easts - another club record

Newcastle - Down a fair bit from last year. Quite surprising considering they've made the finals this time.

Melbourne - club record, fantastic effort.

NZ - fairly static. Not bad considering they've missed the finals for a couple years in a row now.

NQ - in line with the previous 3 years. But all 4 of those seasons are way down on 2004-2008.

Titans - one of the most concerning clubs in terms of crowds. Shockingly their SIXTH consecutive year of crowd decline. They've lost a third of a crowd from their peak. That's more than 6500 that are not going to games now that were in 2008. Were they just a GC fad?

Manly - smallest crowd since 2004. Very disappointing considering their unparalleled success. Haven't missed finals in nearly a decade, 2 premierships, another top 4 season. Their crowds are unforgivable. Imagine where a Parra or a Wests would be with their success.

Cronulla - 4th straight year of increasing crowds. Outstanding effort when you consider everything they've got going on this year.

Dragons - lowest since 2008. Dont blame them given their form and their coach.

Parra- lowest since 2004. Again, don't blame them after consecutive spoons. Any Parra fans still showing up are legends.

Wests - LOWEST crowds in the mergers 13 year history

Penrith - lowest since 2008. Not good considering they had a decent team and were a top 8 chance for most of the season.

Canberra - their last 2 years have both been lower than any other year since 2002. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong for them.

In summary, the highlights were Souths, Easts and Melbourne setting club records. Also a shoutout to Cronulla for doing well. Then A few static teams. Another few getting their smallest in many years for understandable reasons. And then their is a few genuine concerns headlined by Manly and Gold Coast in my opinion.

How can thing's change for these club's.

MEE.

Juniors
IMO a double header during the playoffs from such a big competition as the NRL gives out some shitty brand messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts