What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I think after seeing what 3 Sydney teams deliver tonight, last nights crowd that had 1 Sydney team will look pretty good in comparison.

Locky bagging the crowd from last night... The players notice that shit.

Sorry thats a bit of a wild one BM - Cronulla would have got 18k at home v Cowboys.

If stand alone, Roosters v Manly would destroy 20k.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Locky bagging the crowd from last night... The players notice that shit.

Sorry thats a bit of a wild one BM - Cronulla would have got 18k at home v Cowboys.

If stand alone, Roosters v Manly would destroy 20k.

Roosters v manly minimum 25k closer to 30k. Don't see why they didn't make an exception tor Cronulla in exceptional scheduling circumstances to play at shark park.

sharks fans making plenty of noise at the moment

Perth Red

Post Whore
Roosters v manly minimum 25k closer to 30k. Don't see why they didn't make an exception tor Cronulla in exceptional scheduling circumstances to play at shark park.

The fact this double header wasn't sold out early in the week would suggest that the idea that 50k fans would have turned up if they had been played on separate days or in separate venues is very optimistic.

t-ba

Post Whore
No. It is a sign that people are unhappy with the scheduling.

Double headers have been on the nose for a while now. Even the mighty Broncos, bastion of all that is good for agenda driven geniuss that want to cull Sydney clubs, had a shit ending to the concept.

Raiderdave

First Grade
There is a long way to go yet but i can see this finals series being the lowest drawing in several years. It won't break 40k average unless we see a drastic improvement. Last time it was below 40k was 2008 since then it has averaged 41-44k every year

ahhhh
no :sarcasm:

there hasn't been a finals series that's averaged over 40K since 1972 when it was 47,000

the biggest since then was 2009 at 39,050

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

& you really can't make comparisons as we have had our finals venues all over the place since 1995..... from major stadia to tiny suburban venues.
Prior to that they were all played in Sydney regardless of who was playing at either the SFS or SCG

Billythekid

First Grade
The fact this double header wasn't sold out early in the week would suggest that the idea that 50k fans would have turned up if they had been played on separate days or in separate venues is very optimistic.

That doesn't make any sense. First of all maybe the fans don't want to have to pay extra to watch a game not involving their team (and sitting around for an hour-hour and a half doing nothing).

You don't think sharks fans would be more willing to go if the game was at their own home ground and at a proper price?

Not to mention maybe fans are pissed off that they have lost their home ground advantage (i would be).

In general i think double headers kill the hype for individual games. They should be built up as big games in their own right, double headers certainly don't do that.

cleary89

Coach
I would have gone to shark park... probably to support cowboys but I would have gone with some mates. They won't go to sfs though.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
These 4 teams have no fans which is why the NRL did this double header nonsense,Manly have made the finals every year since 400 BC and still only average 13k,disgrace of a club.

t-ba

Post Whore
I'm sure if we burned down our stadium to get a new one our averages would increase...shit, the ruins would be an improvement.

Now that Uncle Tone is I expect big improvements* to Brookie.

*by improvements I mean he will probably let the council turn it into an ultimate frisbee venue and force us to play at Rat park.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looked a lot better than would have done at shark park and good atmosphere, NRL needs to be presented as a top sport played in modern stadiums in front of big crowds, its not nsw cup anymore. all you stay at home fans missed a cracking game 1, hopefully game 2 matches it.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Id make alot of noise if I got 7 tackles too!

hutch

First Grade
Looked a lot better than would have done at shark park and good atmosphere, NRL needs to be presented as a top sport played in modern stadiums in front of big crowds, its not new cup anymore. all you stay at home fans missed a cracking game 1, hopefully game 2 matches it.

Spot on!

Helmet Man

Juniors
I love Yvonne Sampson. She pretty, knows what she is doing, confident and knows her footy.

This is the only thing i noticed in the crowd today...

Billythekid

First Grade
Looked a lot better than would have done at shark park and good atmosphere, NRL needs to be presented as a top sport played in modern stadiums in front of big crowds, its not nsw cup anymore. all you stay at home fans missed a cracking game 1, hopefully game 2 matches it.

A packed shark park would have looked great and you still could have had a big crowd for manly v roosters (whilst maintaining fairness in the comp).

I don't see how having to have a double header to attempt to inflate crowd numbers really presents us as a top sport either :/. No other major code would do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts