What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GONZO72

Juniors
Agree. Souths can do no wrong in 2013, after being crap for so long .

Can't believe on the front page, they say.... A packed ANZ stadium. Hardly any mention of the 2 crucial calls that cost the storm.

At the end of the day, a 21,000 crowd for a club that boasts 22,000 members, is an outrage.

typicalfan

Coach
No excuse but it was a weird night. Even the 21k there were quiet most of the night. I think they fear Melbourne or something.

the dude

Juniors
No excuse but it was a weird night. Even the 21k there were quiet most of the night. I think they fear Melbourne or something.

I thought it was an extremely vocal crowd and sounded more like 30k than 21k. We were a bit nervously quiet for the first 20 mins of the 2nd half but apart from that we were awesome, if I may say so myself

Ziggy the God

First Grade
When your club can play in front of the two biggest ever regular season crowds in Sydney, come and talk to me.

Further, if you can beat our home, away or combined home and away average this year, I will give you a star.

The microphones got turned up late in the second half when the game was out of reach :lol:

How do they go from 30k to 21k against the same team but in a semi final? :lol:

No excuses for that crowd, 21k where are the Souths fans en masse. It's a finals game not a club game show up considering the scarcity of finals appearances for Souths. You think there supporters would cherish the opportunity to be apart of the series a bit more.

This crowd is just as bad as the Manly/Cowboy final debacles considering it's 2nd vs 3rd in Sydney. True 'heartland'.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Every finals game should be marketed as round 26 was. Specific advertising in the market the game is held on tv radio and print media. Haven't seen any advertising save the generic finals one on neon.

below average marketing of the game as usual

SaraSassypants

Juniors
CC you are absolutely correct. In fact the daily telegraph today wrote 'Earlier this year a crowd of 35,000 turned up in round six to see the same two teams play when the Rabbitohs were in charge of the promotion. Last night that was the NRLs responsibility and they let themselves down badly.'
More Souths fans should've shown up no doubt but at $60 for a reserved seat ($50 for members) I can understand how many couldn't afford it especially families.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
There is a long way to go yet but i can see this finals series being the lowest drawing in several years. It won't break 40k average unless we see a drastic improvement. Last time it was below 40k was 2008 since then it has averaged 41-44k every year

Perth Red

Post Whore
CC you are absolutely correct. In fact the daily telegraph today wrote 'Earlier this year a crowd of 35,000 turned up in round six to see the same two teams play when the Rabbitohs were in charge of the promotion. Last night that was the NRLs responsibility and they let themselves down badly.'
More Souths fans should've shown up no doubt but at $60 for a reserved seat ($50 for members) I can understand how many couldn't afford it especially families.

In an 80k stadium and with the income he game now has there is no justification for charging $60 for a ticket. $15 behind sticks, $30 sideline $50 families. Should be the standard for every NRL game IMO.

marketing excuse is poor if your team is playing you would know about it in particular in 'heartland' where the media exposure alone should be enough to know what going on. lost count of the excuses here to not show up to a game. shows the lack of passion rl fans have compare to other codes.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think after seeing what 3 Sydney teams deliver tonight, last nights crowd that had 1 Sydney team will look pretty good in comparison.

I blame the scheduling of this entire round for the poor crowds that are to come over the next two days.

Why were Souths and Melbourne playing on a friday night? Melbourne is an out of town team and Souths have a large contingent of fans outside of Sydney. None of the fans from outside of Sydney could have made the trek out to ANZ especially not on a Friday because of how mission impossible it is to travel around in Sydney.

Why weren't the only two Sydney teams to play each other(Manly/Roosters) put on the Friday night? both of their fans are largely based in Sydney meaning that most of their fans are likely to go no matter what day the game is played.

It seems like the people that scheduled it did not think logically at all when you consider that the out of town teams were placed in terrible slots whilst the teams based in Sydney and even NSW were placed in unnecessarily great slots.

The best schedule to maximise crowds would have been:

Friday: Roosters Vs. Manly
Saturday: Sharks Vs. Cowboys/Bulldogs Vs. Knights
Saturday: Bulldogs Vs. Knights/Sharks Vs. Cowboys
Sunday: Souths Vs. Melbourne

This scheduling would have given all of the fans from the teams out of town enough time to whilst also given some of the teams in Sydney who have a decent fan base outside of Sydney to travel too. I maybe reading too much into this but it seems like the scheduling of this weeks games has been the NRL pandering to channel 9 and the AFL. It also seems like since the TV rights deal the NRL has basically sold its soul for a quick dollar. I don't claim to know whats going on at NRL HQ but from a fans perspective it feels like we are the ones being screwed in most aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.