What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Maher

Immortal
How do the same two teams draw an extra 10,000+ in round 5 or 6 (or whenever it was) than in a week 1 finals clash?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
How do the same two teams draw an extra 10,000+ in round 5 or 6 (or whenever it was) than in a week 1 finals clash?

(a) Season tickets. I don't know how much a season ticket works out at per game but it is surely a fair bit less than the cost of a finals ticket.

(b) I don't think the allure of seeing a non-knock out final is all that it is cracked up to be, especially to the neutral fan or less involved fan. It's basically the equivalent of an end of season game to determine position on the ladder - and there is not even a minor premiorship shield on offer.

(c) Football fatigue. Save your money for the knock-out game.

Take these into account and you get a crowd less than Souths v Melbourne at the start of the year - 21,000 seems about on the money. The same thing happens in AFL.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Season tickets. I don't know how much a season ticket works out at per game but it is surely a fair bit less than the cost of a finals ticket. Also, I don't think the allure of seeing a non-knock out final is all that it is cracked up to be, especially to the neutral fan or less involved fan.

A lot of 3 game members chose that Storm game and the Roosters match to attend.

Jason Maher

Immortal
AFL crowds for qualifying finals last weekend:

Hawthorn vs Sydney: 59,615 - 3rd highest crowd ever for this clash (highest was last year's Grand Final; 2nd highest was Hawthorn's final ever match at Waverley Park, their old home ground, in 1999)

Geelong vs Fremantle: 32,815 - sellout

Summary: LOL@souffs, and to a lesser extent, LOL@Storm

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Would've been bigger if it was against another Sydney team. I think most people made the trek out last week rather than this week. I went with 3 extra people last week that didn't come this week. No neutrals would've come to this game either seeing as the prices as more expensive. While I would've like more I'm not disappointed. Do week 1 finals generally get larger than 25k anyway?

Dragons v Tigers in 2011 got 45k in poor-ish weather..

Broncos first week finals since 06 have been 48 & 50k.

TheDalek079

Bench
Souffs V Storm finals game got 21k.
Lets be generous to souffs and say the storm had only 1k of fans.

That's 20k for souffs fans.
Last week Souffs V Easts got 59k.
Only 20k of souffs fans, means that there was almost 40k of Roosters fans there last week. WELL DONE EASTS FANS!!!!

thommo4pm

Coach
People forget that everyone had to buy their tickets for this only a few days ago. We have under 20k season ticket holders in Sydney so it was never going to be spectacular.

That's a pretty poor excuse mate about tickets going on sale a few days ago. It's the same every year.

BranVan3000

Coach
Not a great crowd. As I said earlier in the thread, there was just no hype for this game in the area. I don't know whether the marketing went to sleep or it was a hangover from last week but very few people I talked to were planning to go. Perhaps they all expected a loss.

hutch

First Grade
Don't care for souths bashing and don't go for either side but that crowd was pathetic! I went last night with 4 neautrals, the atmosphere felt like a regular club game and the crowd was quiet until the last 15 minutes. The entertainment was second rate as well.
As branvan said, there was no advertising for this game at all. I don't like comparing us to the afl, but I heard hundreds if ads on the radio for the swans game all week. I don't think they'll get a great crowd either but at least it's been advertised well. We have a lot to learn!

Last edited:

GONZO72

Juniors
Front page of the telegraph ......the win puts Souths on track to complete a fairy tale 42 years in the making, after defeating Melb 20-10 AT A PACKED ANZ STADUIM.

Card Shark

Immortal
Front page of the telegraph ......the win puts Souths on track to complete a fairy tale 42 years in the making, after defeating Melb 20-10 AT A PACKED ANZ STADUIM.

Funny how they are so positive to the rabbits yet shit on the game every other day or other club

Status
Not open for further replies.