What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valheru

Coach
So we are in the situation where the NRL will be lucky to have 50k across two semi finals, one an all Sydney affair and the other in another state. Meanwhile the AFL is looking at 90k plus for their all Melbourne affair and a 42k sell out for the out of state game.

I know it’s not as direct a comparison as it could be given the AFL games are prelim finals but I think the prelim crowds could be just as embarrassing in comparison. We certainly have a long way to go in attendance habits and this whole “but the popular teams aren’t doing well” crap is not good enough. Regardless of who is playing, a prelim final crowd should be 40k at a minimum.

franklin2323

Immortal
So we are in the situation where the NRL will be lucky to have 50k across two semi finals, one an all Sydney affair and the other in another state. Meanwhile the AFL is looking at 90k plus for their all Melbourne affair and a 42k sell out for the out of state game.

I know it’s not as direct a comparison as it could be given the AFL games are prelim finals but I think the prelim crowds could be just as embarrassing in comparison. We certainly have a long way to go in attendance habits and this whole “but the popular teams aren’t doing well” crap is not good enough. Regardless of who is playing, a prelim final crowd should be 40k at a minimum.

So the fact that only 1 final outside of Sydney didn't hurt the crowds? Same amount of neutrals spread across more games must have some affect. What did Manly and Sharks average crowd wise 12k each? Add Friday night and the distance from the relative CBD's It was never going to reach huge numbers

Last edited:
if league fans can't show up to finals for there team what would they show up to in the first place. no show regular season...no show finals. it seem rl fans expect everything under the sun before ever consider going to a game.

Brutus

Referee
if league fans can't show up to finals for there team what would they show up to in the first place. no show regular season...no show finals. it seem rl fans expect everything under the sun before ever consider going to a game.

They'll turn up if their team is going for the minor premiership in the final round or if Nathan Hindmarsh is retiring.

But they are the only two circumstances.

newman

First Grade
The NRL is really trying with this Friday night game.

- Junior passes get in free.
- Heavily discounted tickets.
- They are running FREE return buses from Cronulla and Manly leagues.
- Plenty of promotion in the media.

What then if the people don't come?

franklin2323

Immortal

I will come if they speak to my boss and get me the day off.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Week 3 Finals tickets prices for ANZ Stadium and Allianz:

Cat 1 $95 Non Members ($85 Members)
Cat 2 $70 Non Members ($60 Members)
Cat 3 $35 Non Members ($30 Members)

mave

Coach
Gee, this this a rubbish call for all those that have already bought tickets.

Onya Toddy

Brutus

Referee
Week 3 Finals tickets prices for ANZ Stadium and Allianz:

Cat 1 $95 Non Members ($85 Members)
Cat 2 $70 Non Members ($60 Members)
Cat 3 $35 Non Members ($30 Members)

Just wait until the end of the week and they'll be the same price as MCG AFL tickets - $2.50.

Then we will read some combination of the following:

- The weather was too [whatever Friday's weather is like]
- There are so many teams in Sydney and per capita this was a great crowd
- How many people went to games in Brisbane on Friday night? That's right, none!
- Economic times are tough and you can't expect people to buy a season ticket and then pay for finals tickets
- Cronulla has been through some scandals so that has kept people away
- Manly is hated so that has kept people away
- We never get as big a crowd to games as AFL so stop worrying
- It's Nine's fault -- if this game was on a Sunday afternoon it would've been a sell-out
- It's David Gallop's fault. I mean, it is David Smith's fault. Whoever. Definitely his fault, though. Maybe David Moffatt is responsible...?

Have I missed any?

Brutus

Referee
Then we will read some combination of the following:

- The weather was too [whatever Friday's weather is like]
- There are so many teams in Sydney and per capita this was a great crowd
- How many people went to games in Brisbane on Friday night? That's right, none!
- Economic times are tough and you can't expect people to buy a season ticket and then pay for finals tickets
- Cronulla has been through some scandals so that has kept people away
- Manly is hated so that has kept people away
- We never get as big a crowd to games as AFL so stop worrying
- It's Nine's fault -- if this game was on a Sunday afternoon it would've been a sell-out
- It's David Gallop's fault. I mean, it is David Smith's fault. Whoever. Definitely his fault, though. Maybe David Moffatt is responsible...?

Have I missed any?

I blame Kim Deal.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Right, I didn't know that.
In that case tho why were about 30,000 seats on the western side from level 1 to 6 allocated to ANZ Members for last years finals dogs v bunnies game as the seat allocation indicates?

All those seats on the western side with the exception of 1/2 of Level 6 were full last year.

it doesn't indicate that at all
that allocation is 18400 seats .... as the bit from ANZ stadium clearly indicates
there are 18,400 seats reserved for ANZ members & their guests ... MAXIMUM.

meaning there are about 66,000 seats sellable to everyone else.

from memory about 10K members only attended the prelim final last year according to ANZ stadium.

Raiderdave

First Grade

again
your comparing week 2 NRL Finals crowds with week 3 AFL Finals crowds

their week 2 finals total was 90K ....at the 2 biggest sporting venues in the country that hold 184K combined.
it aint that impressive:roll:

next week we should get 90K to 95K to our 2 prelim finals
60K to ANZ & ova 30K to Allianz

they'll get about 125 to 130K all up to theirs this week.

its not that much difference
people just need to calm down a bit.:?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.