What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

How many does the ground hold, there seemed to be quite a few empty seats at the ends and room on the end hill.

Good crowd.

Reality is that most of the Sydney teams currently have between 9-12,000 home fans with averages being boosted by travelling "away" Sydney teams fans or blockbuster games. Only Dogs and Wests have more (probably15-17,000). Not surprisingly games at SFS and Stad Australia tend to draw bigger crowds as they are often more conveniant for travelling fans that are spread around the city. It is one of the advantages that AFL clubs have playing out of centralised stadia.

With Sharks/Penrith it is hard to know if there just isn't the interest from folk of the area or poor management by the club in working out ways to build the attendances. Probably a bit of both.

In years to come I can see Bulldogs, Wests and Sth's pulling even further away from the rest of the Sydney clubs in terms of attendances.

you have to admit the rain kept people away. having said that a fine night would at best drawn 4k more imo. marketing is an issue at the sharks but its not like they would have heaps to spend . afterr 1 game in a rain storm people may be jumping the gun. however we would want to get more on monday.

Red Bear

Referee
Pretty good crowd at for the tigers, very good crowd at the SFS, huge crowd in brisbane and not bad considering the weather in hombush. sh*t GC crowd, sh*t sharks crowd, Melbourne reasonable but probably could've been a tad better and pretty good warriors crowd.

ByRd

First Grade
If Us and the Rabbits go well this year and are in the top 8 for most of the year, we can average close to 20k imo....Maybe the Tigers as well, the 3 teams that draw well in Sydney.

If Us and the Rabbits go well this year and are in the top 8 for most of the year, we can average close to 20k imo....Maybe the Tigers as well, the 3 teams that draw well in Sydney.

Tigers have been the highest drawing club in Sydney for the last 4 years.

The move to the SFS might limit attendances, but so long as we don't disgrace ourselves I foresee the Tigers coming close to the top again.

mattyg

Bench
this round should be fairl good for attendances IMO...

Broncos v Storm @ Suncorp - 36,000
Cowboys v Tigers @ Dairy Farmers - 22,000
Dragons v Titans @ WIN Stadium - 15,000
Panthers v Bulldogs @ CUA Stadium - 16,000
Rabbitohs v Eels @ ANZ Stadium - 25,000 (could easily hit 30k after Souths big win if Eels fans decide to drive 5 minutes down the road)
Raiders v Roosters @ Canberra Stadium - 14,000
Sea Eagles v Warriors @ Brookvale Oval - 17,000
Sharks v Knights @ Toyota Park - 15,000

Total - 160,000
Average - 20,000

babyg

Juniors
I reckon all the dramas cost us a few people but after round 1 there is a bit of excitement back for the game.

Broncos v Storm @ Suncorp - 38,000
Cowboys v Tigers @ Dairy Farmers - 23,000
Panthers v Bulldogs @ CUA Stadium - 16,000
Rabbitohs v Eels @ ANZ Stadium - 26000
Raiders v Roosters @ Canberra Stadium - 16,000
Sharks v Knights @ Toyota Park - 13,000

Red Bear

Referee
last weekend the game which was going to have a sh*t crowd regardless was Sharks vs Penrith, and whilst rain is a legit excuse i'm unsure whether there would've been a much bigger crowd anyway. Certainly the rain had a greater effect on the ANZ game that the Sharks crowd.

as for the upcoming weekend

Broncos v Storm @ Suncorp - 42 000
Cowboys v Tigers @ Dairy Farmers - 22,000
Panthers v Bulldogs @ CUA Stadium - 15,000
Rabbitohs v Eels @ ANZ Stadium - 25,000 (could easily hit 30k after Souths big win if Eels fans decide to drive 5 minutes down the road)
Raiders v Roosters @ Canberra Stadium - 12500
Sharks v Knights @ Toyota Park - 15,000

MacDougall

First Grade
Ahhh the 2005 grand final replay. I love this one because the Cowboys are always the favourites and always lose. I predict a huge crowd up there. Their fans will be out in force to try and ride them home.

ouwet

Bench
Broncos v Storm @ Suncorp - 39 000
Cowboys v Tigers @ Dairy Farmers - 21,000
Dragons v Titans @ WIN Stadium - 13,000
Panthers v Bulldogs @ CUA Stadium - 14,000
Rabbitohs v Eels @ ANZ Stadium - 26,000
Raiders v Roosters @ Canberra Stadium - 14,500
Sea Eagles v Warriors @ Brookvale Oval - 18,000
Sharks v Knights @ Toyota Park - 13,000

Average - 19,800ish.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Although the 20,000 average two weeks would be great, it's disappointing to be a few grand down on previous years. Negative publicity and weather the main culprits by the looks, coupled with some false sell-out reports, probably screwed R1.

ByRd

First Grade
Tigers have been the highest drawing club in Sydney for the last 4 years.

The move to the SFS might limit attendances, but so long as we don't disgrace ourselves I foresee the Tigers coming close to the top again.
True and i hope they do well and the SFS move works in there favour. Just looking at the crowd figures for the past few yrs and its funny to see that the Tigers always ended up ahead of the Dogs by about 600 or so lolll

brothers34

Juniors
honestly 16000 for panthers im xpecing at least 18000 and possibly 20000 every time i go and watch my two teams play i see plenty of dogs supporters and for first game of the year there will be lots of families and penne fans provided the weather is good, wat time is the game at penne ppl like sunday arvo or 530 on a sat

Timmah

Staff member
It's a 7:30pm game this Saturday. It should be packed!

brothers34

Juniors
yeah ur rite im expecting it to be packed should be an alrite game if panthers pull together. the capacity of cua is like 23000 it says 21000 on wikibut with recent upgrades it is aboyut 23000

Timmah

Staff member
Simply wow what? I doubt it will happen but being Penrith's first game of the year and seeing the Bulldogs' resurgence last weekend, a crowd close to 20,000 would not surprise... the forecast for those interested is a top of 30 with increasing sunshine.

Timmah

Staff member
:lol: I wasn't even paying attention, I'm too used to some of the geese on here being illiterate these days...

Latest posts