What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I was sitting in a Bali bar on Friday nite, NRL live on one big screen, AFL live on another big screen , it was actually embarrasing to be a league fan watching a game with 74 thousand empty seats up against a full house on the other screen...

Crowds definately have an impact on the perception of how good a game is, more than the NRL know.. Souths v Penrith should never be a Friday nite stand alone game, thats what happens when you sell your scheduling to a tv station...

Imagine a state of origin in an empty stadium it could be the best game ever but would be a prick to watch on tv

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Two games of AFL yesterday both had crowds of 14,000 from memory, more people at a packed WIN Stadium than a 3/4 full Aurora Stadium and 20% full MCG... AFL isn't flying as high as some think, the lower ranked teams are pulling some pisspoor crowds tbh.

brad_19

Juniors
Two games of AFL yesterday both had crowds of 14,000 from memory, more people at a packed WIN Stadium than a 3/4 full Aurora Stadium and 20% full MCG... AFL isn't flying as high as some think, the lower ranked teams are pulling some pisspoor crowds tbh.

The Aurora Stadium match was played in some of the worst conditions imaginable, and had been fully sold out prior to kick off. The MCG one is laughable, although in saying that, most Sydney teams would be over the moon if they could consider 15k a sh*t crowd against an interstate team (Roosters v NQ for example??).

Anyway, what was the Skilled Park turnout tonight? Looked pretty average on tv, and actually sounded like there were a few Eels fans in the house... I suppose MNF isn't going to draw well anywhere so it has to be expected.

Last edited:

Coaster

Bench
Yeah i was surprised by the low turnout to be honest.

A lot of the members were not there tonight, and those seats are presold, there is a big few weeks ahead and i think they are saving some coin.

We have
SOO3 Brisbane on Wed
Doubleheader on Fri
Broncos at home week after
Cowboys week after that

rack up the numbers in those games

brendothejet

First Grade
Yeah i was surprised by the low turnout to be honest.

A lot of the members were not there tonight, and those seats are presold, there is a big few weeks ahead and i think they are saving some coin.

We have
SOO3 Brisbane on Wed
Doubleheader on Fri
Broncos at home week after
Cowboys week after that

rack up the numbers in those games

yet if fans in sydney are stretched between games we are all bastards.

Not having a go at you directly coaster, but this stuff just doesnt wash.

4 games in 3 weeks. I think you guys can handle it if you are as all footy mad as the others on here claim.

MsStorm

Bench
Gold Coast people might be saving up for a membership for the new afl team:lol:;-)

Though I forgive them this time...its monday night footy...

Evenflow

Bench
AFL isn't flying as high as some think, the lower ranked teams are pulling some pisspoor crowds tbh.

Really? The lowest crowd puller in aerial ping pong is Port Adelaide at over 25K. The next "worst" is North Melbourne at 27,982. The only other 3 teams that average under 30K (but over 29K) are Brisbane, Melbourne and Geelong, the rest are either in the 30,40,or 50K range.

Now i don't know about you but i'd love nothing more than our lower ranked clubs, hell even the majority of our higher ranked clubs to be pulling such "piss poor" crowds. Im not a huge fan of AFL but best you look at the overall picture and not bring up 2 games that would appear to suit your argument.

They absolutely spank us in crowd numbers and if you think their lower ranked teams crowrds are piss poor at between 25-30K (and an average of over 36K overall) then what term would you use to describe our crowds with 9 of our teams under 15K and an overall average of 15,800K?

Coaster

Bench
What can i say, i am not going to defend it, it was a poor crowd.

I am not sure what the demographic is for the Western membership stand, but i would guess it is more corporate boxes, and business handshake seats. They rarely cheer, they hardly come out of the function rooms, and on Monday nights dont even turn up. The club would still make more money from them even if the seats are empty for 3 rounds a year, then from us punters under the goal posts every week, but what do you do.

I can say i was there, as always, and will be next time.

Timmah

Staff member
Really? The lowest crowd puller in aerial ping pong is Port Adelaide at over 25K. The next "worst" is North Melbourne at 27,982. The only other 3 teams that average under 30K (but over 29K) are Brisbane, Melbourne and Geelong, the rest are either in the 30,40,or 50K range.

Now i don't know about you but i'd love nothing more than our lower ranked clubs, hell even the majority of our higher ranked clubs to be pulling such "piss poor" crowds. Im not a huge fan of AFL but best you look at the overall picture and not bring up 2 games that would appear to suit your argument.

They absolutely spank us in crowd numbers and if you think their lower ranked teams crowrds are piss poor at between 25-30K (and an average of over 36K overall) then what term would you use to describe our crowds with 9 of our teams under 15K and an overall average of 15,800K?
Nice selective quoting. The Demons are pulling pisspoor crowds all over the shop regardless of their average...

Evenflow

Bench
Nice selective quoting. The Demons are pulling pisspoor crowds all over the shop regardless of their average...

LOL all over the shop? Nice selective choosing of only 2 games out of 7. So you want to just totally ignore averages on this occasion because it doesn't suit your argument/agenda? :lol:

But to appease you for a minute they've had only 2 "piss poor" home crowds this year which were against interstate sides. I'd say that's perfectly understandable given some of the crowds our clubs get against interstate teams and the rest are well over 20k.

Given you've been so selective singling out those 2 poor crowds it's only fair i do the same as well with the 5 remaining they've played at home. In those they've averaged 35,670! f**k i wish our lower ranked sides would get anywhere near those piss poor sort of averages :sarcasm:

You just keep that melon of yours firmly planted in the sand Tim and pretend we don't have a big issue. I can only hope the powers that be at the NRL are addressing it and trying to find a solution to it as opposed to living in fairyland ignoring it like many do around here. Ignorance is bliss they say......

Timmah

Staff member
Those 2 pisspoor crowds are the most recent tbh...

I'm not trying to point out the AFL is crap and crowds are declining. I'm trying to point out that RL isn't the only sport suffering from the odd crap crowd by it's normal standards.

RL's current average crowd is 15,628.

For some reason, despite averages well above many previous seasons still aren't good enough.

Until people accept these are good figures and crowds only really look crap at ANZ Stadium, then maybe we can move forward. Everyone's too busy beating their chests crying doom and gloom to enjoy the product, that's what I'm noticing.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Is 45k to optimistic for fridays double header? Lots of my mates are goin.....

and is this the game that Timmah has been waiting for to skew his Bulldogs average up?

babyg

Juniors
Is 45k to optimistic for fridays double header? Lots of my mates are goin.....

and is this the game that Timmah has been waiting for to skew his Bulldogs average up?

Should be over 50k. I tried to get tickets but only crappy high ones left.

Two sydney teams should do the double header in Brissy to get their averages up.

In response to Timmah, the NRL should be aiming for over 20k to every game. I think that is reasonable and possible. People winge because they know more can be done.

Timmah

Staff member
Does people whinging encourage positive thinking about attending games though?

Latest posts