What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Teddyboy

First Grade
Every ticket to Kogarah was sold yet less than 18k turn up.

This will probably happen again next week for the final between the two sides if they play each other.

I'm hoping the Panthers beat the Knights, so the Dragons play the Panthers (a game more suited to Kogarah) next Sunday. The thought of Dragons v Eels at Kogarah for a finals match is wrong.

If the Panthers do beat the Knights, that would mean we'd have an Eels v Bulldogs blockbuster on Saturday night, played at a suitable venue.

Carn Panthers!!
Brutus help me on this as if every ticket was sold at Kogarah then why did people not turn up esp as the Dragons have had great support this year ?????.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm thinking Season ticket holders who might've been counting on it being a Sunday and couldn't make the Friday fixture, travelling from South Coast or North Coast or the country.... people stuck at work, people who saw how busy the area would be and just didn't bother...

Teddyboy

First Grade
I'm thinking Season ticket holders who might've been counting on it being a Sunday and couldn't make the Friday fixture, travelling from South Coast or North Coast or the country.... people stuck at work, people who saw how busy the area would be and just didn't bother...
Well saying that iam sure Manly Sea Eagles played in front of 32000 for a semi final at the SFS in 2007 on a friday night so if it was a sunday afternoon things would of been different.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Last night was a Round 26 game, not a sudden death final.

bobmar28

Bench
Traditional suburban football crowd on Jubilee Avenue, Carlton. You might know it by its sponsored corporate name of WIN Jubilee Oval.

Owned by Kogarah Council and leased/operated by the St George Leagues Club, this venue has recently had approximately $15m worth of redevelopments.

With a capacity of approximately 20-21k, the ground has sold out numerous times this season. Indeed, it sold out last night, three days before kickoff, for the final St George Illawarra home game of the season.

Given that capacity is above the existing crowd average and the crowd average desired by Byrd this ground is guaranteed to help in achieving his desired result.

What I meant was more along the lines of big crowds = 20 - 30k.

flamin

Juniors
So the upgrades to Kogarah have basically done nothing to boost the capacity when the ground can only 'safely' hold 18k.

brendothejet

First Grade
There'll be 18k people just in the line to buy a pie and beer at the MCG this weekend. Finals between two locals teams should be played in front of 30k absolute minimum.

Why?

So the fans of a team who hasnt acheived higher honours can come along?

So the team that worked the hardest, won the most games can be punished?

There are some rediculous statements in this thread.

Things like

"souths got more last week" (against the dragons, the majority of the crowd wearing red and white)

We see it all the time people when a stadium is "Sold out" but not all the seats are filled. Happens almost every grand final and origin. Thats why the ground record is never the actual capacity.

There are always reasons why people dont come, for instance "im not going unless they let me in for free-masons". Corporate and promotional tickets that are distributed but then never used.

Saints have earned a home final and home is where we will play it. Parra fans arent concerned about getting a ticket, they are concerned about getting an ass whooping.

Iask you this, what looked better on the TV last night? The Dogs crowd at the SFS, or the Dragons crowd at Kogarah?

What had a better atmosphere?

What had a true home ground feeling?

What gave a true home ground advantage?

The answer lies at the bottom of Jubilee Avenue amongst 18k very happy St George Illawarra fans.

Parra or Penrith face it, you will be there next Sunday arvo. Its the right thing to do and you know it.

beave

Coach
Which is suprising because that northern end was pretty $hitful prior to the rennos, I doubt many people could have sat in that area before. And the extension to the Western Stand, f#$king surely they can put more than 18k in there?????? I don't understand how the capacity can be the same now as it was prior to the extensions.

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Some one has got very rich out of the Kogarah "redevelopment" they dead set added a terrace to the north and that looks about it... Why dont they put a grandstand like the knights have right accross that sh*te hill and get the capacity upto 25k..

Shire Panther

Juniors
Why didnt they just reconfigure Kogarah to a rectangular field perfect for league? why is it even an oval? was it used for cricket back in the day?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
So the upgrades to Kogarah have basically done nothing to boost the capacity when the ground can only 'safely' hold 18k.

Corporate facilities an function room have been a huge improvement. Hate to say it but this is where the money is.

Brutus

Referee
Kogarah should not be an oval anymore.

Should be rectangular and a bigger capacity.

Agree the corporate facilities are good.

user_nat

Coach
Somewhat sad that Manly couldn't draw more than the Warriors or the Sharks.

But I guess it was the Warriors, Sharks and Souths fans last chance to see their teams for the year.

Last edited:

Latest posts