What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

bobmar28

Bench
We did win. That was good. The jersey -> explained the crowd. I'm not turning up to watch a bunch of nancy boys in white.

For Wests Tigers to go forward, they must acknowledge the Maggots provide no fans, and are about to give way to AFL in the west!

Shame on the Westerns Suburbs for dragging the Tigers crowds down with! the white clown suit!
White jersey? who's idea was that? I thought it was their away jersey but it was a home game.

big country

Juniors
Would you want to watch Souths, and I mean this in the best possible way. They hardly played great footy in Round 2..

yes i always want to watch souths play,and i'm glad i went yesterday, the boys lifted in the second half with a performance befitting a legendary club - i think you could show a bit more humility and not the typical one city cocky mentality of the broncos - oh, and i mean that in the nicest possible way

We did win. That was good. The jersey -> explained the crowd. I'm not turning up to watch a bunch of nancy boys in white.

For Wests Tigers to go forward, they must acknowledge the Maggots provide no fans, and are about to give way to AFL in the west!

Shame on the Westerns Suburbs for dragging the Tigers crowds down with! the white clown suit!

The Albino Tigers!

As an old Balmain fan I don't mind that they've opted for a replica of the old Magpies jersey, although I'd prefer the home rather than away strip.

They'll play in the Balmain orange once in a while to commemorate the retro-themed rounds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Albino Tigers!

As an old Balmain fan I don't mind that they've opted for a replica of the old Magpies jersey, although I'd prefer the home rather than away strip.

They'll play in the Balmain orange once in a while to commemorate the retro-themed rounds.

You lot do realise the V is orange, right?

You lot do realise the V is orange, right?

It doesn't really stand out on the predominantly white jersey.

The current jersey bears a stronger semblance to the old alternative Wests strip rather than anything worn by Balmain. In 1995/6, the Tigers moved away from the simple orange/black colour scheme and this caused great discontentment amongst fans.

BTW I like the black Tigers (Magpies Home Jersey) strip and would take it in preference to the current one.

Timmah

Staff member
And a big right F**K YOU to Manly fans for being as fairweathered as you possibly could :)

Round 3
Tigers v Roosters @ SFS 14,426
Titans v Bulldogs @ Skilled 19,854
Warriors v Broncos @ Mt Smart 24,538
Eels v Raiders @ Parramatta 11,110
Cowboys v Storm @ DFS 21,489
Rabbitohs v Knights @ Bluetongue 15,227
Dragons v Sharks @ WIN Jubilee 20,847
Sea Eagles v Panthers @ Brookvale 8,667

Total 136,158 Average 17,020

I'll look at comparisons & whatnot later tonight.

ByRd

First Grade
Still not a bad average but 8k is disappointing but Monday night at Brookie isnt the best idea.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith winning tonight will make for a bumper crowd at CUA next week vs the Tigers if the weather is good.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Dreadful crowd at Brookie.

But WHY do the NRL persist in having Monday night games kick-off at 7pm? Why can't they have it at 7:30 pm like Friday nights and Saturday nights?

Don't they realise that the extra half hour will mean an extra 1-2 k more through the gate? People just don't have enough time to get to the game from work - especially to a place like Brookvale.

And transport to Brookvale is a nightmare - there is no train line to the Manly area - just buses and ferries and even with a ferry you still have to catch a bus or a cab to Brookvale.

Can't they understand that getting to the Manly area from anywhere else in Sydney in on a working day in peak hour traffic is bad enough as it is at the best of times (footy game or not), and so expecting footy fans somehow leave early from work or rush to get to a game by 7pm kick-off is a total no-go??

It wouldn't have been hard to figure out that having a game at Brookvale on a Monday night was going to get a poor crowd, so why do they go ahead and do it anyway? What is wrong with them?

Parramatta vs Canberra should have been on Monday night at 7:30 pm. Parramatta has good transport and is the CBD of Western Sydney so plently of Westies work out Parramatta way and Parra is 100 times easier to get to from Sydney CBD (direct train line with express trains).

Manly vs Penrith at Brookvale should have been on Saturday night.

Timmah

Staff member
Generally they avoid anything later than 7pm because it's another half hour later home on a school night...

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Generally they avoid anything later than 7pm because it's another half hour later home on a school night...

Sure, that's fair enough logic - but I would argue that the earlier kick off time is actually detrimental rather then beneficial to Monday night crowds everywhere (not just tonight).

I mean, is an extra half hour really going to make a difference in attracting fans to the game? In my opinion it has quite the opposite effect - especially at a venue like Brookie that has crap transport and nightmare traffic on work nights.

At the very least if they keep it at 7pm they should restrict scheduling to transport-friendly venues.

The NRL really need to get a clue sometimes.

We all knew the crowd was going to be crap at Brookvale on a Monday night so they go ahead and schedule it on a Monday night anyway! Go figure!

Evenflow

Bench
Agree with timmah there. I think it has much more to do with the fact that people are reluctant to go to the footy on a school night as opposed to what time it starts. I doubt very much there'd be too many more through the gates than what they did with a half hour later start. That said it was still a very poor crowd and you'd think a club that's been around for so long would have enough hard core supporters to get at least 10k

Timmah

Staff member
... particularly one that won a premiership 5 months ago and the world championship 1 month ago...

Brutus

Referee
Woeful effort Manly.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Manly went broke and died to be replaced by the Central Coast Bears.

I can see this happening.

brendothejet

First Grade
I guess the weather and the CBD power shut down and ensuing traffic nightmare didnt help this crowd tonight, but i think MNF has its place.

You can't deny it is a ratings winner and another revnue stream. We can corner the sports market for an entire day in the country with MNF being the only game on of any code. If people want to watch sport, go to sport, bet on sport, talk sport, it pretty much has to be MNF.

Latest posts